Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I think "NO!!!"

You really don't want weird stuff - especially an "oil" in your lungs.
VG and PG have been proven pretty harmless, leaving the flavorings already as the one unknown. Adding something else that's REALLY not intended for inhalation as vapor is a bad idea...

Hi everyone!
I don't know if you know how essential oils are made. Basically, it's a concentrate extract of whatever it is you want to use.
I've been meaning to add a little bergamot essential oil to a liquid I'm about to mix. Thoughts?

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I think "NO!!!"

You really don't want weird stuff - especially an "oil" in your lungs.
VG and PG have been proven pretty harmless, leaving the flavorings already as the one unknown. Adding something else that's REALLY not intended for inhalation as vapor is a bad idea...
Could not agree more.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Hi everyone!
I don't know if you know how essential oils are made. Basically, it's a concentrate extract of whatever it is you want to use.I've been meaning to add a little bergamot essential oil to a liquid I'm about to mix. Thoughts?
Essential oils evaporate without fatty residue, but that doesn't mean you can vape all of them with no afterthought. While we do utilise a few of them (like in menthol flavors), others can be damaging to your lung (e.g. tea tree oil). As a consumer, I wouldn't touch the unknowns until some researchers have given it the thumbs up.

Infact, I once tried mixing my VGPG with some spirit of melissa alcohol, because it contains a tiny amount of essential oils, and well, alcohol :) It was a mistake. It was an overly aggressive vape and it made my lungs feel bad. I had to throw away the entire bottle i prepared.

tldr: No.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stols001

Matt Harrigan

Unresolved Status
Aug 28, 2018
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So, let me start off by saying that I'm certainly not here to offend anyone's sensibilities, but there is a tremendous amount of FUD and misinformation in this thread about EO usage. In full disclosure, I work at KININ - we make blends using therapeutic grade essential oils, and I am one of a few people here who are in charge of both formulation and manufacturing process.

Let me see if I can answer the original question, which was 2 part:

What are they?
The way essential oils are made: Essential oils are another descriptor for botanical extracts. They are effectively full plant terpene extraction. Although it is certainly -possible- to end up with final product that contains actual oil (fatty lipids), this is extremely uncommon, and is specific to the botanical (plant) that you are extracting from. Essential oils are created using a few different common methods: steam distillation, co2 extraction, or cold press (less common).

Essential oils are not "oil."
Most essential oils do not contain fatty lipids, meaning that they are not (generally speaking) capable of causing lipid pneumonia, as they are not "oils" at all. In fact, when you see "natural ingredients" labels on some of your TFA or Capella, odds are these are in fact essential oils (heavily diluted)

To Tailland's point about harshness, this is a solid lesson in formulation using EO. Essential oils are the most concentrated form of terpenes available, so a TINY amount goes a long way, and getting your blends right is part science and part art. Literally a 1% difference in overall content changes the output of what you've built from highly therapeutic to straight expectorant.

Also, terpenes are very delicate, so if you're intending on vaping at sub-ohm, turn back NOW. It won't work.

Adding Bergamot
Great idea! We have a blend with Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense etc, all of which are considered GRAS by FDA. Its one of the most popular blends we make. To be clear, I am encouraging you to experiment with concepts but you should be aware of a couple things:

1. The difference between just right and too much can be measured in microliters, so please be careful.
2. These are real plant extracts, so make sure you know what you're doing. I always like to use Eucalyptus as an example here. Narrow leaf Eucalyptus is generally safe, but Blue Gum Eucalyptus is potentially toxic.

Anyhow, enjoy responsibly, and remember, its just like everything else - safety first.
I'm an industrial engeneer so I know a little about manufacturing processes. Some people think that essential oils are just that. No. The first is sustained on PG. You vape vanilla, right? The extraction process for the food industry and essential oils is the same.
What comes to mind that a food extract like bergamot or lemon or vainilla is exactly the same, the only real difference is concentration.
I think 2 drops of bergamot or lemon in a citrus mix will enhance a lot of flavors.
Many people put eucaliptus essential oil onto hot water for inhalation. It's about the same.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
You left off key information

Essential oils, oleoresins (solvent-free), and natural extractives (including distillates) that are generally recognized as safe for their intended use, within the meaning of section 409 of the Act
=============================================
None of the essential oils are listed as vapable. So vape at your own risk. While most are not actually oils, some are. They are GRAS for intended usage the ones the FDA lists which is in some cases on the skin or in some cases put in a heater and dissipated into a room.

GRAS only means that there is no study showing harm and they have been in use prior to the pure food and drug act

Matt Harrigan

Unresolved Status
Aug 28, 2018
  • Deleted by Misty

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Is there a list of EOs that are generally safe for vapers?

(sidenote: I just looked at the ingredient list of my spirit of melissa bottle. Out of that 500ml in the bottle, it's the 5g of EO destillate (1%) that makes it a very potent liquid. Instructions on the bottle recommend watering it down to 1/10th of that in order to take it orally. And even then the EO taste is still very much present.)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Matt Harrigan

Unresolved Status
Aug 28, 2018
  • Deleted by Misty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread