eVic-VT mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
I got an evic vtc mini yesterday. It seems to be working. I like it. A couple of questions.

1. I'd like firing time to be displayed instead of amps. I scroll to that feature and start it blinking but when I switch back to normal mode amps are still displayed. What am I missing?

2. Is max watts adjustable in temp control mode? I experimented and didn't get a good temp control vape unless watts are set to 75.

Thanks in advance for any asssistance.

have not been using the evic for a while,so ican t answer number 1

number 2
yup you can adjust the wattage if i remember right
have you tried using a correct or more precise tcr value for the kind of wire you are using?

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
My 1st "TCR" adjustable mod (an Apollo Reliant) is unable to use the "standard" published values for different wire types so I got in the habit of water testing and then dry burning each different wire type before using it with my juice. (yes, I know "thebloke" posted some calculated numbers that are fairly close but he never actually tested many of them)

TheBloke didn't test them but others did.

My Reliant is extremely accurate with SS430 @ TCR of 14 so something must be wrong with your device. Was you the one with the resistance issue?

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
2. Is max watts adjustable in temp control mode? I experimented and didn't get a good temp control vape unless watts are set to 75.
It sounds like the temperature you have set might be low and/or the TCR of the mod isn't agreeing w/the wire you're using as the previous postr mentioned. Either way, you can get a good vape at wattages much lower than that.

Maybe state for us the wire type (Ni200, Ti, 304 stainless, 316 stainless, etc.) wire size, number of turns, the coil resistance and the settings you are using on the mod.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It sounds like the temperature you have set might be low and/or the TCR of the mod isn't agreeing w/the wire you're using as the previous postr mentioned. Either way, you can get a good vape at wattages much lower than that.

Maybe state for us the wire type (Ni200, Ti, 304 stainless, 316 stainless, etc.) wire size, number of turns, the coil resistance and the settings you are using on the mod.
28 guage stainless, 3mm dia, 8-9 wraps. Evic indicates 1.1 ohm but the kangxin mini I was using previously read the ohms at 9.4. I ran my test last night. Just now I adjusted the watts in temp mode back down to 30 and tried again and may be now things are working as normal. I'm getting the smooth cooler vape I would expect. I'm not sure why the problem would clear up by itself but may be it has. May be there was a hot spot that fixed itself.

In the mean time if I should be able to display puff time or puff counts I'd like to be able to do that. The info is being collected but only amps will display in normal mode.

I like the device. No complaints just minor annoyances that are my doing.

PS I got this one from fasttech because I could get a faux leather and silicone covers for a couple bucks. The faux leather one isn't real pretty but has it's points. The silicone cover is the practical choice on the shop floor at work.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
In the mean time if I should be able to display puff time or puff counts I'd like to be able to do that. The info is being collected but only amps will display in normal mode.

As Cobalt mentioned above, just select it in place of Amps.

Amps, Puff Count and Time are your options for that display line. But just one at a time (with 3.0).
Thou must choose. :p

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
28 guage stainless, 3mm dia, 8-9 wraps. Evic indicates 1.1 ohm but the kangxin mini I was using previously read the ohms at 9.4. I ran my test last night. Just now I adjusted the watts in temp mode back down to 30 and tried again and may be now things are working as normal. I'm getting the smooth cooler vape I would expect. I'm not sure why the problem would clear up by itself but may be it has. May be there was a hot spot that fixed itself.

I like the device. No complaints just minor annoyances that are my doing.

PS I got this one from fasttech because I could get a faux leather and silicone covers for a couple bucks. The faux leather one isn't real pretty but has it's points. The silicone cover is the practical choice on the shop floor at work.
The type of stainless wire can make a difference. Default is 316 if you're using the updated firmware, else stainless steel would need to be used in Ti mode with a temperature adjustment to get it to work (although it would work in Power mode). But it sounds like you're getting a handle on it...;)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
As Cobalt mentioned above, just select it in place of Amps. Amps, Puff Count and Time are your options for that display line. But just one at a time (with 3.0).
Thou must choose. :p
My selection does not stick. I can see puffs or time after 3 clicks but only amps on the normal screen.
The type of stainless wire can make a difference. Default is 316 if you're using the updated firmware, else stainless steel would need to be used in Ti mode with a temperature adjustment to get it to work (although it would work in Power mode). But it sounds like you're getting a handle on it...;)
I believe it's 316. In any event the max watts issue I raised seems to have resolve itself for now. My device came with 3.0 installed and i assume that's up to date.

Is there a good path for making suggestions to joytech? A nice display option besides puff count and puff time would be watt hours. May be the chips are versitile enough to collect and display that information and could be done entirely via firmware. That's what I would display if the option was available.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    TheBloke didn't test them but others did.

My Reliant is extremely accurate with SS430 @ TCR of 14 so something must be wrong with your device. Was you the one with the resistance issue?

Nothings wrong with my device. It works fine with the numbers I enter.
    (sigh) I was hoping to avoid this however wanted to include backstory as to why I was testing the wire I use. IMHO "14" is to low for an Apollo Reliant, even by "thebloke"s standards. Then again "Apollo Reliant" is more than a bit off topic for a Evic-Vt-Mini thread. ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tpat591

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Nothings wrong with my device. It works fine with the numbers I enter.
    (sigh) I was hoping to avoid this however wanted to include backstory as to why I was testing the wire I use. IMHO "14" is to low for an Apollo Reliant, even by "thebloke"s standards. Then again "Apollo Reliant" is more than a bit off topic for a Evic-Vt-Mini thread. ;)

A couple of people had an issue with the screws to the top being stripped and throwing off the resistance, thought you may have been one of them is all.

It was @balazsk that verified the TCR numbers, not TheBloke.

You're entitled to your opinion, run your devices how you wish.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    My selection does not stick. I can see puffs or time after 3 clicks but only amps on the normal screen.
    I believe it's 316. In any event the max watts issue I raised seems to have resolve itself for now. My device came with 3.0 installed and i assume that's up to date.

Is there a good path for making suggestions to joytech? A nice display option besides puff count and puff time would be watt hours. May be the chips are versitile enough to collect and display that information and could be done entirely via firmware. That's what I would display if the option was available.

I'm not sure where the problem lies, but at least you answered the question I was about to ask... 3.0 or no?

So... 3 clicks to activate adjustment mode > left button to cycle through the lines to highlight each in turn for adjustment > highlight "Amp" so it is blinking > use the right button to cycle through the selections "Amp, Puff, Time" > hit the fire button to exit with your selection displayed.

That does or does not work?

-----
    Regarding a WHr display option. That might be possible with a DNA (SX too ?) because you can use the Escribe PC software to tell the mod exactly what battery(s) or LiPo pack you are using, and what its' capabilities are. Knowing that, it can extrapolate from battery charge level.
    We don't have that level of control, or communication, with these mods.
    Future possible code upgrade? Hmmm, perhaps. I wouldn't hold out hope though.

Reactions: gerrymi

cobalt327

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 1, 2012
    USA
    Okay- the deal is:

3 clicks of the fire button- top line of display blinks.
    Click the 'Down' (left hand) button to bring the blinking to the Puff/Time/Amps line.
    Clicking the 'Up' (right hand) button while the Puff/Time/Amps line is still blinking will toggle the display.
    Once the display is showing what you want, either do nothing until the blinking stops or briefly hit the fire button. Either will lock in the setting.

If this doesn't work, I would say something is wrong w/the mod.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    You're entitled to your opinion, run your devices how you wish.

Gosh I sure hope so!! (on both accounts)

(back on topic)

Many of the modern TC mods (including the Evic-Vt-Mini) can be simply adjusted to taste (and/or vapor production) while ignoring whatever temperature reading the display is giving.

Personally I like using similar power/temperature settings on similar (but different manufacturer) mods. If I question the mod, TCR, wire or the build+wicking I'm using some diagnostic testing might be in order.
    (just earlier this week I got 6 new spools of wire and made a build of a different wire type than I had planned. After a few burnt hits some water testing revealed that I had grabbed the wrong spool!)

I just ordered some CLR coils so I can rebuild/reuse the color matched tanks that came with the vt-mini's I have.

Reactions: gerrymi

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Well I have been using the SX since they first came out which is why I had trouble getting used to the way Jtech or DNA does it. I only use enough power to hit temp fairly fast on SX but not too much power. I really never notice the modulation and I for one think it is the best TC mod going. No experience with the ML but I have 5 M's and I love them. 420-430F is where it should be to get a good vape after all cotton singes above that and that is supposedly the point. I have to use 500 on some J techs and I know that would be way too high on an SX but I actually think it is about the same actual temp when vaping. I don't care what anyone says I think the SX is by far the best TC mod going.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 1, 2012
    USA
    The Ultimate TCR List has been updated.

Regarding my VTC Mini, Ni200 bought from both FT and Lightening Vapes needs a TCR closer to what is being shown for Nickel DH than Ni200. To get a vape comparable to the VTC Mini's Ni200 default setting requires a TCR of 730. This is using the same temp and wattage settings (420 deg. F/18.5W), same coil (resistance of 0.13 ohm) and same atty- an SXK Nebula Wine. 316 SS behaves much the same- manual TCR has to be much higher than published values to equate to the same vape as I get on the mod's 316 SS default setting. This is true for 2 different attys so far, neither has any appreciable voltage drop.

Don't know what- if anything- this means. This isn't really a problem but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else has seen a similar result or has any input.

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
    Feb 4, 2014
    Washington, LA
    The Ultimate TCR List has been updated.

Regarding my VTC Mini, Ni200 bought from both FT and Lightening Vapes needs a TCR closer to what is being shown for Nickel DH than Ni200. To get a vape comparable to the VTC Mini's Ni200 default setting requires a TCR of 730. This is using the same temp and wattage settings (420 deg. F/18.5W), same coil (resistance of 0.13 ohm) and same atty- an SXK Nebula Wine. 316 SS behaves much the same- manual TCR has to be much higher than published values to equate to the same vape as I get on the mod's 316 SS default setting. This is true for 2 different attys so far, neither has any appreciable voltage drop.

Don't know what- if anything- this means. This isn't really a problem but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else has seen a similar result or has any input.

I'm not sure what forum I mentioned this in (might be this thread), but I posted about the same thing right after the firmware came out. I found that I had to bump the TCR to 0120 or higher to get the same vape from 316L as the default SS316 setting.

Just tried it again. A TCR of 0120 is really close to the default SS316 setting. Now, with a 304 SS coil, the default SS316 setting is MUCH cooler than a TCR of 0120 or even 0105. I expected 314 SS would be warmer with the default SS316 setting. That's with 2 different VTC Minis. Either way, I can get a terrific vape with either wire using the TCR settings. Just thought I'd chime in.

Reactions: cobalt327

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    I found that I had to bump the TCR to 0120 or higher to get the same vape from 316L as the default SS316 setting.

Just tried it again. A TCR of 0120 is really close to the default SS316 setting.

Oh good... it's not just me.
    For both VTC and RX, I immediately went to 120, and now 128, for my 316L.

Hate to add this but testing TCR values is one area where the VTC's "right button only round robin" for the modes and memory slots, falls down (TC power adjust too, of course).
    The RX allows both up and down through the modes. So nice.

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
    Feb 4, 2014
    Washington, LA
    Oh good... it's not just me.
    For both VTC and RX, I immediately went to 120, and now 128, for my 316L.

Hate to add this but testing TCR values is one area where the VTC's "right button only round robin" for the modes and memory slots, falls down (TC power adjust too, of course).
    The RX allows both up and down through the modes. So nice.

Now you're trying to make me jealous. It's working. :p
    I really hope that firmware v3.01 has that, along with a true resistance lock. If they add those 2 things I think most of the complaints about the VTC would disappear. It's still my favorite mod, but being able to adjust the watts up and down seems like a no brainer.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    Being a fairly straight port from the VT, they just kept that "functionality".
    So many of my menu based mods do the same... one way only.
    I'd think they could code that out on the VTC. It would be so much nicer.

Busardo's idea was if you highlight wattage and click right to increment it, the code would activate the left button for decrementing... until you hit fire to exit. Simples.

Same could apply to the mode select.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread