EVOD/Kanger heating cores & Metalic Flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
I've recently purchase a Kanger Protank and I swear every heating core I've put into it (3 so far) always have a metalic flavor. Normally I'm a dripper and maybe in spoiled with the amount of juice flavor you get from dripping but I always get a metalic flavor from my Protank cores.

Anyone else get this or have a suggestion to eliminate this flavor? I thought about boiling my cores but not sure if this will help.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Have you tried washing the tank with piping hot water? I'd go ahead and wash the coil heads, too. It sounds like there may be some residual material left from the machining of the metal pieces of the Protank, and perhaps in the coil head.

Edit: You probably don't want to save the juice that was in there, either.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
I was just searching the forums because I have the exact same issue. I have the same juice in a Protank and in an EVOD, both at the same resistance, and when switching to the Protank that metallic flavor appears instantly.

I did wash it out pretty well with very hot water before I filled it, so I think my next step will be to soak everything in some vodka to see if that helps. Others have suggested boiling the Protank or soaking it in a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water as well, but I'm worried that the acid from the vinegar might weaken the adhesive that keeps the metal parts attached to the Pyrex.

If I make any strides I'll try to reply to your thread again. Good luck.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I had the same thing, wasn't liking the ProTank. Tried several steps all at once, and now I'm happy:
a) People say wash out the new ProTank, so I did
b) People say REMOVE HALF OF THE FLAVOR WICKING - this made a big difference - it allows MORE juice to get to the coil, preventing dryer hits, etc.
c) This was unexpected - I switched from a 2.4 ohm coil to a 1.8, and EVEN when vaping at a set WATTS, it made a flavor difference.

Once I got that all set, I went and ordered a second ProTank...

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
I had the same thing, wasn't liking the ProTank. Tried several steps all at once, and now I'm happy:
b) People say REMOVE HALF OF THE FLAVOR WICKING - this made a big difference - it allows MORE juice to get to the coil, preventing dryer hits, etc.
c) This was unexpected - I switched from a 2.4 ohm coil to a 1.8, and EVEN when vaping at a set WATTS, it made a flavor difference.

That's interesting. I washed mine out pretty well with very hot water when I got it, I removed one of the flavor wicks, and I'm using a 1.8 ohm head (although my mods are saying that it is 2.0 ohms). Still have a metal taste.

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Haha ya I've always called them Coils until that darn site :p

I don't think boiling the heating coils would be a bad idea. I may just try this. Thing is I even got this flavor from the original coil it came with. For awhile I thought it was just me. Then I kept reading all the raves about the Protank and the flavor people get from their juices and I was like wth? I mean I can taste the flavor of my juices but that metalic flavor behind every hit is just crap! I've resorted back to dripping or my carto's. I have heard people soaking in alcohol but if I've got to do that every time is rather just chalk this Protank up as wasted cash.

Please keep me posted on your results.

GinAndJewce

Jul 2, 2013
sf bay area

What's the easiest way to remove half of it? Just tweezers? If I try n use my fingers it just falls apart. Any easy way to put them back if I don't like the after effect?

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Yeah, I'm definitely getting the same metallic taste with my ProTank, though I freely admit I didn't wash it out as well as I could have when I got it. Seems to be a common thing from the manufacturing of the metal, probably nothing to do with the head.

Well I'm boiling all of it right now. I read somewhere people said 15min of boiling. I'm doing the tank and the heads. I know boiling them won't hurt em so it's worth a shot. One thing I have just noticed is some weird looking black particles on top of the water. Probably crap from the coils or tank. Weird.

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
Well I'm boiling all of it right now. I read somewhere people said 15min of boiling. I'm doing the tank and the heads. I know boiling them won't hurt em so it's worth a shot. One thing I have just noticed is some weird looking black particles on top of the water. Probably crap from the coils or tank. Weird.

You may have to worry about the adhesive between the brass parts of the unit and the Pyrex coming loose if exposed to too much heat. I would think 15 minutes in boiling water wouldn't hurt anything, but you may want to keep an eye on it.

I just disassembled my Protank and submerged it all in a glass of vodka. Planning to leave it soaking in there overnight, I'll post tomorrow if I notice any improvement.

MJ12

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
I remember watching a video on YouTube showing how to rebuild a bottom coil. After the chap was finished, and before he put everything back together, he took a jet lighter and heated the silica wick and kanthal wire until it was glowing red. He did that a couple of times. The purpose, as he put it, was get rid of any chemicals/taste left over from the manufacturing process. I've not been down that road, yet, so take it for what it's worth.

bikerdave

Aug 6, 2013
Western AZ, USA
I had the same issues with ALL Kanger products I've tried, and finally figured out a solution.

Every piece of machined metal in that thing is going to have residual lubricant on it from manufacturing. THAT INCLUDES THE WIRE IN THE COIL!!! So...before I use a new coil/core/whatever, I set it in 91% isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner I picked up at Goodwill for $2.99 and let it shake for about an hour. Then, I set it in a Pyrex bowl of purified water and put it in the microwave to boil for a few minutes. It gets air-dried overnight on a paper towel, and goes into a pill bottle where my spares live for quick access!

After the intial procedure, they taste just fine. I've been winding my own coil/wick rebuilds after that, and I've found that cleaning the piece of wire with alcohol & a paper towel before winding the coil is good insurance!

The tanks on my T3S and Protank units get rinsed well under HOT water after each tankful of juice.

No more burnt, nasty, harsh hits for me! Hope it helps you!

Cheers...

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Alright! So I can 100% confirm that boiling your heating coils for the EVOD/Protank for roughly 15min works!

I have 10 coils I picked up in bulk, boiled all of them along with the tank for 15 minutes. Let air dry for a couple hours. Just placed one of the coils in my Protank and sure enough, NO more metalic flavor!! Juice taste just delicious!

So if anyone else is experiencing this issue, I can tell you it works :)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
OK, I'm sold for my new, still unsued PTank.
How exactly did you boil it - pot on stove, bowl in microwave?

Alright! So I can 100% confirm that boiling your heating coils for the EVOD/Protank for roughly 15min works!

I have 10 coils I picked up in bulk, boiled all of them along with the tank for 15 minutes. Let air dry for a couple hours. Just placed one of the coils in my Protank and sure enough, NO more metalic flavor!! Juice taste just delicious!

In my experience a hot water rinse and a light dry burn until the coil is dry and stops smoking takes care of it. Make sure you remove the flavor wicks before doing this as they will burn otherwise. This is one of the reasons I started rebuilding my own protank coils. It makes a big difference in vape quality and no residuals messing up your flavors.

bikerdave

Aug 6, 2013
Western AZ, USA

I don't know if I'd boil out a clearomizer for 15 minutes...I've only tried rinsing the tank under HOT running water for a bit. I do know that getting all the residual oils from machining/manufacturing out of the coil/wick/head is absolutely imperative. Took me a while to figure this out, but after I did, things have been MUCH better!

I haven't been a big fan of the "dry-burn", either. I prefer letting the stuff air-dry. Just another factor taken out of the equation, as it were, that could affect your vape.

Cheers...

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
OK, I'm sold for my new, still unsued PTank.
How exactly did you boil it - pot on stove, bowl in microwave?
Boiled them right on the stove in a pan. Was so easy. I bought 15 of em from FT and all the ones I used prior to boiling had that nasty metalic flavor. So I put em all in a pan on the stove. After 15min let them dry for 2-3 hours. I put one in my evod tank and my Protank. Both haven't a hint of metalic flavor at all! Juice flavor is just awesome!!

You won't regret doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread