Evolv-ing Thread

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Oh well, back to the drill........

All thou premade would be nice! My coils last a long time, I bring the temp up to 600 & use a little wire brush to clean them. with out exaggeration I can get 6 months Plus out of a Fused Clapton Ti Coil :)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
All thou premade would be nice! My coils last a long time, I bring the temp up to 600 & use a little wire brush to clean them. with out exaggeration I can get 6 months Plus out of a Fused Clapton Ti Coil :)
I recently got 8 months out of a FreeMax triple mesh. To be fair, it only had 150ml through it in that time. While with a different juice, I only got 11 days with 84ml through this other triple mesh. Maybe how often they are used changes in how much juice they can last through?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
The big governing factor is carbon content of the liquid, IE sugars, and of course NETs that could use more filtering.
I am speculating of course, but I wouldn't doubt for a second that crud when given enough time, breaks down.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I recently got 8 months out of a FreeMax triple mesh. To be fair, it only had 150ml through it in that time. While with a different juice, I only got 11 days with 84ml through this other triple mesh. Maybe how often they are used changes in how much juice they can last through?

With rebuildable Ti coils the juice isn't a factor, a more sugary or darker juice will affect the life of your wick. The intervals in witch you will need to clean your coil, but not the coil life. With Ti the absence of the dry burn (red hot glow) makes the difference IMO. Because I only heat the coil to 600 & remove most of the junk with a wire brush, I believe this is why I have such extended coil life :) BTW I can run an unprecedented amount of juice thru my Plus before I need a Coil change :) I will change the wicks & clean the coils every 75 mils or so, but the coil it self last for a long time before replacement :)

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Even though it only takes a few min to wrap a coil and stuff it with rayon there is just something in me that doesn't like building. To make my coils last a bit longer I'll check my coils every other day and will wipe them with a Q-tip to removed what loose build up is starting, by wipe it I mean I lay the bud of the Q-tip on it's side on the coil and roll the Q-tip to remove what I can, firing it first to get it hot and loosen the build up. Nickle coils so I can't really dry burn them, once they get crudded I just toss them and wrap a new.

On another note, I placed an order from Broke-D's yesterday, I was gritting my teeth waiting for a pop-up stating they could no longer ship to NY but the order went through and I got the tracking number so must be Cuomo's ban doesn't effect mail orders, not yet anyways...

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
BTW, any of you have thoughts on this Merlin? https://www.fasttech.com/products/9353401 Is it at least equally as good as the original Merlin? I see it has bottom and through the side posts (adjustable) air flow, I would assume that's a plus over the original Merlin's?

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Nickle coils so I can't really dry burn them, once they get crudded I just toss them and wrap a new.

I like the way Ni vapes! If it was as sturdy & lasted as long as Ti, I would still be using it :)

Willy I have 2 Merlins I'm not using any more PM me an addy & I'l send them to you :)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
The big governing factor is carbon content of the liquid, IE sugars, and of course NETs that could use more filtering.
Sure... but something is odd here.

FreeMax Triple Mesh - 8 months @ 150ml had:
Basix Series - Creamy RY4 Butterscotch Reserve (6mg)
Butterscotch, RY4, caramel

FreeMax Triple Mesh - 11 days @ 84ml had:
BD - Coffee Cake (6mg)
Cake, cinnamon strudel, espresso

So you believe the Butterscotch Reserve (seems sweeter than Coffee Cake) would last longer than 11 days with 84ml already gone through it? That would be a tough experiment for me. Since Butterscotch Reserve explodes with flavor and gives me instant vaper's tongue (and it is so good). But I wouldn't be able to taste anything else during this time including food and drink. :(

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Because I only heat the coil to 600 & remove most of the junk with a wire brush, I believe this is why I have such extended coil life :)
Yup, that is what I do. I bet if you wanted to spend enough time, you could get any coil really clean and probably use them for years. I'd bet that a grinder with a wheel brush would instantly clean them up in a second or two.

On another note, I placed an order from Broke-D's yesterday, I was gritting my teeth waiting for a pop-up stating they could no longer ship to NY but the order went through and I got the tracking number so must be Cuomo's ban doesn't effect mail orders, not yet anyways...

Cuomo's ban kicks in October 11th I think. I know it is October something. :(

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Although it may not be something new, I heard a commercial on the radio this morning about the dangers of 2nd hand vape (smoke).
I guess they want to make sure that they get as many on board as possible. Better stay out of the kitchen then.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Wow! Both of my Mirage DNA75C are running Frank's theme 2.8.8. The rest are running 2.8.7. But 2.8.8 I just noticed shows the time and date of each puff. So I can see the last time I fired the mod. :D

Like this Mirage was sitting for a long time. I just checked the puff log and besides today, last time I fired it was on April 20, 2019 11:12AM with the same battery. ;)

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Morning Coffee 341.jpg

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Bill, just from the names of those liquids I can tell they're real gunkers. Different performance, in terms of ml per build, will happen due to minor differences in each build. Even a commercially made build will have differences that will effect longevity. All but two of the liquids I mix are pretty much "dry", very little to no sugars in them, and I get months, say a minimum of 200-300ml, out of a build. The two with sugars are more prone to gunking and those atomizers get re-built on a monthly, say 100ml, basis.

I never dry burn or clean coils. I have done it a few times and, to me, it's just as much trouble, and time consuming, as simply winding a new coil. The cost of wire is so low it's not even a factor to cheap old me. Another thing that helps me is that I rotate through about ten mods/tanks a day. Which one I use depends on where I am and what I'm doing. That has the overall effect of extending the usable time per build well into months.

My big complaint about re-building is getting the wick "just right" and exactly the same each time. More than once I've done a build, vaped a tank, then ripped out the wick and started over again to get it right. I have found that re-building is best done when I'm relaxed and not going to be interrupted in the process. I've got the builds down to the point of not even getting a "new coil" prompt after a re-build.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Willie, I love my original Merlins. The single coil is great on a DNA75, extends battery life compared to a dual coil. My complaints with them are the threading on the top cap, that too short drip tip that can't be changed and variances in how smoothly the liquid flow control works between four of them. I'd like them even more is they had bigger liquid capacity, 4.2ml is kind of on the low side to me. But they're an easy build and work really well with the air flow plug removed completely.

I almost ordered two of the new ones to give them a try. The I saw the capacity is 3ml which just isn't worthwhile to me. Looks like they increased the chamber size which has reduced the capacity since they used the same, basic, exterior dimensions.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I like the way Ni vapes! If it was as sturdy & lasted as long as Ti, I would still be using it :)

Willy I have 2 Merlins I'm not using any more PM me an addy & I'l send them to you :)

Thank you Steamer! You da man! PM sent! Now I have to figure out how to make it right with you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread