Evolv-ing Thread

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Check for nearby transmitters. I had a problem with LED floods "pulsing", even when powered off and the breaker turned off, and traced it to the local AM radio station, 25KW about 4 miles away. Some .1, 600uf, mylar capacitors cured the problem.
If I had to guess the waveform looks to me like a faulty capacitor in the primary line because of the way it decays but I have no experience with distribution systems or faults in them.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Morning Coffee 461.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Wonder what it would have been like during the Ice Age?

Icy?

Average annual snowfall in Newfoundland is ~320cm (about 10.5 feet for you imperials). But that is annual, not daily. This past day accounted for 1/3 of that annual snow fall. Quite the dumping!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I remember, as a kid, back in the 50's, 58 or 59, that we got three feet, a meter to you metrics, in a storm. Then, to add insult to injury, it rained a little on top of it then got really cold, as in the teens for a high. There was a six inch crust of ice on the top. Lots of "fun" to shovel and plowing was done with front end loaders and snow blowers brought in from upstate New York.

The first year we were in this house we got two feet, overnight. I didn't even have a snow blower then, just shovels. Thank G-d for kind neighbors, we have a 150 foot, 50 meter for you metrics, driveway plus the area we park in.

So it's happened before and will happen again.

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
I converted my house over to LED's and I ran into a similar problem. But I had two issues, 1) A set of LED's were connected to an electronic timer. (Seems the LED were not dimmer rated and they needed a manual timer / On-Off) Replaced timer and no more flashing. 2) Had one set of LED's connected to a dimmer switch and again were not dimmer rated. (Dah on my part). Good luck with tracking your problem down. Let us know what you find.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Watching some of the academy nominated movies.

The Irishman was good, a little long but quite good. (We get to find out what happened to Hoffa. ;))

The Lighthouse had awesome cinematography and acting from Dafoe, strange movie though.

Looking forward to Ford VS Ferrari, The Two Popes and 1917.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
hey, got a question about a dna 75c mod I built a while ago, its been dropped one too many times and not sure if its the board or the screen/ connection, the screen is all white, snowed out, the device fires an atty ,it was a bit of a pain to get the connections soldered, my first build and all, so would at least like to know what im going in for, board or screen?? any help would be a great service

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I'd guess the screen is the problem, @bsidb . I haven't had a lot of good luck with 75Cs at all. I'm getting tired of taking them apart, replacing the screen, or screen and chip, and putting them back together only to have the same thing happen over and over again.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
well that was easy, didnt have to undo any solders, just un did the 510, blasted it with contact cleaner, wiped, reinstalled screen, still snow screen, broke pare of the flip latch for the ribbon hold down

Attachments

• dna (2).jpg
    dna (2).jpg
    900.6 KB · Views: 22

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Watching some of the academy nominated movies.

The Irishman was good, a little long but quite good. (We get to find out what happened to Hoffa. ;))

The Lighthouse had awesome cinematography and acting from Dafoe, strange movie though.

Looking forward to Ford VS Ferrari, The Two Popes and 1917.

Completely forgot about The Irishman. Thx for bringing it up. Just finished watching, not Scorsese’s best IMO, but well done…I enjoyed it. Good to see De Niro and Pesci together again – the two combined just seem to knock out great movies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
well that was easy, didnt have to undo any solders, just un did the 510, blasted it with contact cleaner, wiped, reinstalled screen, still snow screen, broke pare of the flip latch for the ribbon hold down
What I call those connections is as a ZIF connector. And on some, the latch can be replaced while the rest is still on the board. I don't know which kind Evolv uses. If it can't be replaced, then the whole connector needs to be replaced. And without the special equipment, can be really tough even for a pro. :(

This isn't guaranteed to work, and before giving up, some scotch tape might hold it down well enough to work. Also with any luck, you might find the missing piece. Then lay that on first and then tape it.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Not that any of this matters but I just "figured" it out today. I was charging my DNA60 with a power bank this morning and vaping on it while charging. That's when I noticed that it still was charging while the fire button was pressed. So tonight I check a DNA75 and it interrupts the charge when the fire button is pressed like a 200 or 250 does. Then on to a DNA75C, still keeps charging when fired, guess I'll check a DNA250C next.
Edit: DNA250C interrupts the charging when the fire button is pressed.

Users who are viewing this thread