Exciting Newbie Seeking for Suggestion and Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
Good morning (depending on where you are :)

I am brand new to the e-cig world and am very excited to get rid of traditional cigarettes!

First of all, let me say, nice forum. Very, very informative and helpful threads and posts and especially people! I'm amazed by how much more popular this forum is compared to "usual" forum that I've attended such as technology, automobile, etc. I look forward to learning a lot and eventually helping others in the future ;)

As I mentioned, this is a very informative forum, which I appreciates. Meanwhile, I am tremendously overwhelmed by all the information. I read stickies in the new member forum and still have no clue what I have learned. Contradicting description I know, but it is how I'm feeling right now :/

Anyway, I would appreciate any help/advice/education to get me started in my e-cig career.

I am a 4-year smoker and currently smoke about 1 pack per 2 days or a little bit more if I'm very tired by all the school works and all the stay-ups, or when I'm bored, or when gaming. My desire to get rid of smoking became stronger and stronger recently as I *feel* unhealthy and developed many discomforts such as having dry throat and morning phlegm. The costs of smoking is also one of my concerns. ~$70 a carton lasts about 10 to 14 days, and I'm a poor student. (I actually saw a guy blew a huuuge amount of vapor today at school and his vaporizer in hand today, off topic..)

So based on my smoking habit described above, I am NOT looking for a starter pack, as I am set to get rid of smoking and fully convert to e-cig, and as others suggested in other thread, that I'll probably get rid of starter pack sooner or later to step up. I am looking for a complete setup recommendation. It would be even better if $$ number can come along so I have a rough idea of what I'll be spending (or saving) by using e-cig. I understand I'll have to explore my favorite liquid and favors down the road, but other than that, I'm all for your advices. Just in case, start-up costs are not my biggest concern but the long-run costs are. As long as it is not too expensive, I can put down some money to make a 1-step switch, which had better last me 5 years down the road, if possible.

Top off my head, the things of my concerns other than costs are:

Looks - as long as it's not too out-of-place, it does not have to be close to traditional cigarettes in looks, but I do want it to be portable and not attracting to eyes while holding in hand, because I'll be taking it with me to schools and taking puffs between the classes.

Durability - I would hope that it will lasts me a couple of years, so that it is not more expensive than smoking.

Easiness of Maintenance - I want to spend more time enjoying it rather than cleaning/babying it.

Origin - I see different voices on this one. Some say avoid Chinese at all costs, some say don't be a sucker and pay more for exactly same product. To me, I would generally avoid Chinese stuff that I'm taking into my body. So I guess I can accept all the working parts to be Chinese made except for the fluid that I'll be inhaling.

I hope that I have given all the details you would need to offer me some kind suggestions. I hope there could be some consensus regarding my needs, because I just read through two other similar newbie threads, and no one seemed to agree with each other on the setup suggestion, which drove both the OPs and me (the reader) crazy, as it further overwhelms a newbie with so many available preferences and choices. Please just treat me like a rookie and tell me to follow your order just this one time :D

Lastly, I truly appreciate your time and thoughts put into helping me.

Thanks again in advance.

zekster76

Aug 31, 2013
Phoenix, AZ.
510 Joye eGo Electronic Cigarette

It is a starter kit but at a great price, should last long enough that you don't out grow it to quickly, and ego style batteries are always good as back up batteries should you decide to buy something more. That and some e juice will get you going, I would suggest finding that from a local vendor so that you may try it before you buy it to see what you like.
Glad to have you in the forum :)

Newbie here, but I've been vaping over 2 years now. I think when you're starting out using an e-cig, reliability and simplicity are key!

If you don't have either, switching to vaping can be a little frustrating. Whatever device you buy, make sure you spend some time learning how to fill and use your device correctly. Golden rule, always research any device! Read reviews, not just one, get opinions from numerous posters and video reviews to give you a good overall picture.

I would go for something like the The Kanger Evod (mT3), it's one of the better starter kits available atm.

In terms of juice, most people starting out tend to prefer tobacco flavors and then they slowly move away from them. (that's what happened with me)

The thing with tobacco flavors is that most of them don't really taste anything like tobacco! Bar a few premium liquids that use natural extraction from tobacco leaves.

Based on how much you smoke, 12mg juice should be ample for you, I smoked around 20 a day and I started out on 18mg and slowly moved down to 8-12.

In terms of which juice, taste is so subjective that it's hard to say what you'll enjoy. But I'll throw out a few suggestions.

Budget range - Dekang Desert Ship (VG) lovely light and sweet kind of shisha nutty tobacco flavors, the PG counterpart is more bitter and not quite as good.

Btw, PG and VG - PG = more throat hit, less vapor production and the juice is more supple. VG = very light throat hit but huge clouds of vapor, VG is thicker.

In the premium range, T-Juice Primo Verde for me personally is one of the most accurate tasting tobacco juices, Halo also do some very good juices, though they tend to be more nutty based.

Another popular one is El-Toro Cigarillos, to date it's the only juice that has left me light headed after vaping, but I'm one of the few who disagrees with most that it smells and tastes like tobacco, I don't think it really tastes like tobacco, it's a very pungent juice.

In my experience with standard liquids, virginia tends to be the closest match to the real thing, I'm not mad about them in general however.

Tee thing with liquid is that it's all about trial and error, order small samples until you find a juice you fall in love with.

carynjahn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
South Carolina
I agree that the ego is good, but i would go for a vision spinner or an ego twist to give the variable voltage option. Also a good tank like an evod or protank. The evod looks good on the ego batteries as it is almost the same diameter of the battery and it is very easy to refill, change out coils, and take apart and clean. Now all you need is some good juice. I would stay away from juice made anywhere except the US. ( assuming that is where you live)

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
One word Provari. Why Dic around just go for the best. Want your device to last? Provari, none made better, don't like Chinese cheap crap? Provari American made, American ingenuity, considered the measuring standard. The Cadillac of pvd's. Want something to last, Provari, comes standard with a 1 year warranty, can purchase a second year of coverage upon purchase. Want to step up your vape? Well that's where getting a decent rebuild-able atomizer comes in. Sure it's a bit spendy, $212 for the starter kit, $159 for the stand alone, but hey you wanted something to last years. There are many original Provari owners that are still vapping strong. Last time Provari came up with an improvement, they offered the upgrade to their customers. Great customer service, fast shippers, Mine was in my vapebox 2 days after ordering it.

Well that's enough of the P word. If you want to get into it a cheaper price then look at Innokin MVP 2 and their SVD. Volcano's Lavatube is nice but almost as much as the Provari. I wouldn't bother with the ego style, they will work, and are a bit more compact, but will leave you wanting. IMO.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
business2091 said:
Top off my head, the things of my concerns other than costs are:

Looks - as long as it's not too out-of-place, it does not have to be close to traditional cigarettes in looks, but I do want it to be portable and not attracting to eyes while holding in hand, because I'll be taking it with me to schools and taking puffs between the classes.

Durability - I would hope that it will lasts me a couple of years, so that it is not more expensive than smoking.

Easiness of Maintenance - I want to spend more time enjoying it rather than cleaning/babying it.

Origin - I see different voices on this one. Some say avoid Chinese at all costs, some say don't be a sucker and pay more for exactly same product. To me, I would generally avoid Chinese stuff that I'm taking into my body. So I guess I can accept all the working parts to be Chinese made except for the fluid that I'll be inhaling.

My suggestion is to consider the Innokin iTaste MVP. This is what is considered a box mod. It is variable voltage, meaning you have the option to raise or lower the voltage to adjust the vapor to different flavors you may use. It has a built-in rechargeable battery that can last 2 - 3 days per charge, and it has pass thru option meaning you can continue to vape it while it is charging. It uses a charging cord similar to an IPod or cell phone and connects to a computer USB port, or an USB/wall adaptor. In a pinch, it can even charge your cell phone.

It accepts all types of juice delivery attachments: clearomizers, cartomizers, and cartotanks.
Very sturdy construction. Looks classy. Small size is comfortable in the hand, fits into a pocket.

Innokin is a Chinese company known to make innovative and high quality products.

Original MVP is only $50. Comes with charger and 2 iClear 16 clearomizers.

MVP2 is $70. Adds some improvements by adding an ohm meter, design changes to improve the beauty ring adaptor and fire button. Comes with charging cord and 1 iClear 30 clearomizer.

Innokin_iTaste_MVP.jpg MVP V2.jpg

One word Provari. Why Dic around just go for the best. Want your device to last? Provari, none made better, don't like Chinese cheap crap? Provari American made, American ingenuity, considered the measuring standard. The Cadillac of pvd's. Want something to last, Provari, comes standard with a 1 year warranty, can purchase a second year of coverage upon purchase. Want to step up your vape? Well that's where getting a decent rebuild-able atomizer comes in. Sure it's a bit spendy, $212 for the starter kit, $159 for the stand alone, but hey you wanted something to last years. There are many original Provari owners that are still vapping strong. Last time Provari came up with an improvement, they offered the upgrade to their customers. Great customer service, fast shippers, Mine was in my vapebox 2 days after ordering it.

Well that's enough of the P word. If you want to get into it a cheaper price then look at Innokin MVP 2 and their SVD. Volcano's Lavatube is nice but almost as much as the Provari. I wouldn't bother with the ego style, they will work, and are a bit more compact, but will leave you wanting. IMO.

All 100% true, but tbh I think when you're starting out there is already enough confusion about devices and juices etc without throwing variable voltage into the mix. The Provari isn't cheap either and not everyone carries on vaping. I would hold off for a bit before investing in a Provari imho.

They are hands down the best mods though, no question about it.

nmackan

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Turkiye
Welcome my friend. Right place you are. But You are confused already for the things written in various topics, you will be confused for the answers you receive too. These are all for individual choices. people tend to find themselves and develop. Leave aside the device you have to find juice and in the right amount of nic PG&VG So begin with a cheap set (If you were in Turkiye I would suggest Red Kiwi dual set. it is about $50 here and will lead you a long way. "Look it is confusing but anyone can say CE4V3 is better than vivi nova? Some peoploe would laugh some will agree. because these are all experience." go back this sentence after 3 months it will make sense than whic is another language now.

Do whatever you do buy anything you like but get 2 batteries at least
Get atomizers that it is possible to change heads even wire and silica (For later)
Get heads to change when you feel vapour is low
as soon as you get your device go to you tube to learn how to wash and dry burn heads and how to change coil and silica
As for juice I would suggest you take testers first and choose your own liquid
Always get higher nic levels not to go back smoking
Better get Vegetable gliserin to dilute your juices if it is higher with nicotine

These are the things you work on first
Happy vaping and success is one step ahead of you go to it

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
An ego will not last you years. It can only be recharged 200 to 300 times and then it will stop holding a charge. When that happens you have to throw it away. Also you may find yourself vaping more then you smoked. Many of us do. Where in the US are you and what are you willing to spend? What kind of Cigs do you smoke and roughly how many per day? If you did go with the Ego it would be easier to hide then a larger E cig but you would have to replace batteries at times.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
MVP wobbles when sitting upright, not a lot though. Due to the on-off switch at the base. Same with the MVP2. Yeah, not a deal breaker by any means but just giving ya first hand experience here. On paper the MVP2 is much improved but not $70 improved, if you catch my drift.
Hopefully MVP2 will now drop the price of the MVP which I paid $44 at the time from slowtech.

Basically, it's a good step in the right direction but I think MVP owners, atleast theis one from Amish country, will wait til there's an MVP3 before laying down that much coin for something that doesn't give you goosebumps when using it.

Reminds me of apple a lil, folks

tumblr_mceuwwjFIo1qewacoo1_500-1_zps41b5b78e.jpg

ETA: here's a video review AND fix for the wobble from a buddy of mine,

RHP

Last edited:

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
It's a terrible week for me.. sorry I haven't replied sooner. I'm living in a nightmare until Friday.

So, I went through thread post-by-post the other day when my mind slipped away in class, and just briefly went through everything once again just now, and below is my summary of all the recommendations along with Devil's advocates after the dash marks. Holy.., it is over-whelming. I guess no more "quick start" for me now, and I gotta go through more detailed research on each recommendations during the weekend. I kinda wanted a quick hop-on into the e-cig world cuz I feel that I can't wait even 1 more day to put off the cigarettes as I developed a cold in the past couple days and my throat and coughing are killing me.

510 Joye eGo and/or eGo t --- An ego will not last you years. It can only be recharged 200 to 300 times

The Kanger Evod (mT3)

vision spinner or an ego twist

Provari --- hold off for a bit before investing in a Provari imho

Innokin iTaste MVP(V2) --- MVP wobbles when sitting upright, not a lot though. Due to the on-off switch at the base. Same with the MVP2. On paper the MVP2 is much improved but not $70 improved, if you catch my drift.

Have to develop your own favorite:
Do whatever you do buy anything you like but get 2 batteries at least
Get atomizers that it is possible to change heads even wire and silica (For later)
Get heads to change when you feel vapour is low
as soon as you get your device go to you tube to learn how to wash and dry burn heads and how to change coil and silica

I hope my quick summary got the ideas from you guys right. A lot of starter kits recommendations here, I don't know if you guys missed the part in my OP saying that I was not looking for a starter kit." Or if it's that you did not miss it and starter kits are truly best for starters. Certainly, I am not trying to avoid starter kit if it's a better way to start. Just wanna make sure it's worth it to start with starter kits and then throw it away to step up to something better.

Awesome recommendations though. Thanks a lot for your help!

business2091

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
KU
After nights and nights of reading on the forum, I felt I've learned more than the past couple years in college LOL.

Anyway just an update. I eventually went with Provari, and expect it to last for another 5 years, maybe? And also bought Protank2 and a couple of samples (which seem to be less popular) altogether on Provape's website. Two 18350s and bought a nitecore i4 separately on Amazon. Bought Vanilla from cloudsofvaper. Also went to local tobacco store and bought several bottles of Liqua with different flavors. Man this thing easily becomes a hobby because I'm ALREADY looking at a decent RBA even before having my hands on my first PV in my life?! This is wrong. So I told my self to experience PT2 for a couple weeks before deciding whether I should taste an RBA.

So under $300 in total, which is less than what I spend on smoking for a month, I'm ready to ditch my favorite Dunhill. It's kinda sad because you know those Dunhill finecut in the white box look really elegant, but I seem to can't wait for this sadness. Luckily, Provape is so quick that I ordered on 25th and the package is set to arrive tomorrow! Very impressive. This feels like a new start of my life even if I've only smoked for about 4 years maybe? I feel special, honestly :)

My current question is:

Is there RBA that's completely sealed like regular clearomizers? I ask because I read in a thread where one guy tested out Provape's z-atty and didn't like the fact that it's not sealed if i understood correctly. He said it would have to be held up-straight and not laid down. I'm still learning RBA facts and if anyone could be so kind to explain this for me before I finally get to learn it, it would be very kind :) So if there is RBA that works just like Clearomizer ( in the way that you can take it with you when you leave home), the only drawbacks I see is to DIY your coil? I see that as a positive though.

Thanks everyone for your help. I feel like flipping into a new page of my life.

EDIT: Provari not as quick as I described: Placed order 24th, Shipped 25th, Arriving 27th.

My point is, it's still damn FAST ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread