Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudforce

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
IE, CA, US, Earth
Damn Rum!

(Wait a minute.. I freaking LOVE rum!)

I'm glad that Loghomeguy chimed in... obviously with low resistances like these, netting-out the parasitic resistance of the test tool is important.... and I "rummed" right through mentioning that!

Be sure to mark that atty with a big red-X (imprinted with a hammer) and don't use it anymore.... a trail of failed batteries will be in its wake.

Sailor Jerry for the win ;)

The atty in question is now historical, marked and relegated to the "rip it apart for jollies" bin.

What concerns me is that it seemed to be working just fine. I had zero indication that things were strange, from a vape point of view. Flavor, vapor, battery life, all were normal. Then suddenly battery life went to zero. What stops LR atty #2 from deciding "Ah, hell, I think I'll eat some batteries this morning"? What kind of sign might I be looking for to prevent this from happening again? (besides forgoing LR atties, 'cause a standard res atty on 3.1V sucks)

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Sailor Jerry for the win ;)

The atty in question is now historical, marked and relegated to the "rip it apart for jollies" bin.

What concerns me is that it seemed to be working just fine. I had zero indication that things were strange, from a vape point of view. Flavor, vapor, battery life, all were normal. Then suddenly battery life went to zero. What stops LR atty #2 from deciding "Ah, hell, I think I'll eat some batteries this morning"? What kind of sign might I be looking for to prevent this from happening again? (besides forgoing LR atties, 'cause a standard res atty on 3.1V sucks)

I really wish I could tell you some magic method for avoiding this. If I knew that method, I wouldn't have to tear a battery apart about once a month to replace the MOSFET (getting pretty good at it though!).

There are a couple of ways (at least) that a coil resistance can drop that much and that quick:

1. The coils "migrate" due to the heat and expansion.. and two adjacent coils "touch".

2. A small piece of the nickel mesh (bridge and pot-wrap) becomes dislodged and shorts out two (or more) adjacent coils.​

Of course.. there are other mechanism as well. Short of a crystal ball.. dunno! And of course, if you had that crystal ball you would have just won the lottery already and wouldn't be worrying about your $20 batteries.... ;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Heya Chicka-dee!

If a battery won't take a charge from a known-good charger, or deliver power to a known good atomizer/cartomizer.... then I hereby christen it "dead".

Sure, there are a bunch of ways that a battery can die.. and a lot of failure mechanisms... (cell, MOSFET, button/switch, wiring, etc..), but at the end of the day, dead is dead.

Yeah. Thank you, Dr. Scottbee.

Rudforce

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
IE, CA, US, Earth
I really wish I could tell you some magic method for avoiding this. If I knew that method, I wouldn't have to tear a battery apart about once a month to replace the MOSFET (getting pretty good at it though!).

There are a couple of ways (at least) that a coil resistance can drop that much and that quick:

1. The coils "migrate" due to the heat and expansion.. and two adjacent coils "touch".

2. A small piece of the nickel mesh (bridge and pot-wrap) becomes dislodged and shorts out two (or more) adjacent coils.​

Of course.. there are other mechanism as well. Short of a crystal ball.. dunno! And of course, if you had that crystal ball you would have just won the lottery already and wouldn't be worrying about your $20 batteries.... ;)

Makes sense. Especially the first item since I'd just put that atty through 10 hours of drunken chain vaping ;)

If you're replacing MOSFETs monthly you've answered my next question of "what PV of this form factor do I want then?". Sounds like I still want the Riva, I just need to build a jig (or break down and get a collet set for my lathe) so I can cleanly disassemble my batts from time to time.

Thanks for the pointers, Scottbee.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Makes sense. Especially the first item since I'd just put that atty through 10 hours of drunken chain vaping ;)

If you're replacing MOSFETs monthly you've answered my next question of "what PV of this form factor do I want then?". Sounds like I still want the Riva, I just need to build a jig (or break down and get a collet set for my lathe) so I can cleanly disassemble my batts from time to time.

Thanks for the pointers, Scottbee.

In a pinch, RIVA's can be taken apart via the judicious use of the chuck on a 1/2" drill. You won't have as much luck with an eGo/Tornado... but if you're careful it will work on a Riva.

Zeeky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2009
California
@ Scottbee,

1. Are the LR attys the ones that are causing your Riva batteries to die or are normal attys also responsible?

2. Has a normal atty ever killed one of your batteries?

Based on what I've read in this thread it would be prudent to avoid using LR attys on an Riva type PV unless one enjoys performing micro soldering jobs!

Thanks!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Zeeky,

I/We have lost batteries to LR atomizers, "Standard" atomizers, and all forms of cartomizers. While the failure rate for LR atomizers/cartomizers would appear to be higher, near-shorted coils on any atomizer/cartomizer can yield a battery failure.

FYI, so far (@10 days) the new LR mega eGo attys are doing fine - no loss of flavor - with Habana/absinthe. I have one on a Riva, one on an eGo.... I can draw just like the regular mega eGo atty - ie. no short strokin', and there is a noticeable wattage difference. A bit better vapor like the Provapes 1.5 LR and both are reading 1.5Ωs on the nose.

slin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SoCal
I just received my order today. Order on 10-8-10 , arrived on 10-19-10. That was pretty good coming all the way from china. I ordered EM RIVA kit (titanium) one spare battery (black) extra cone (black) box of atty and bunch of juice. When i connect battery to charger the light didn't turn red and blue light is blinking but won't stop. Both of my titanium bat came with the kit are doing the same. But the spare black battery seem charging ok right now but spare black cone doesn't fit the black spare battery. It too big. (titannim cone fit good with spare black batt). I think spare cone is not the right size.
Oh, the kit doesn't come with the manual either. This is my first ordering from eastmall and i am pretty new at ecig in general (2 weeks and 2 days). :(

Last edited:

slin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SoCal
Hi Slin

sorry that this is an issue for you,
it is dissapointing to wait and get all excited and then have things not be perfect for you

please contact Customer Service and ask for resolve of this issue,

thank you -----

Thank you for the reply Di. I sent email to Selina already and awaiting her reply. Did you have any black cone issue in the past? I am just curious. Its strange that the size is the same but thread on cone is totally different. I was so pump up receiving riva kit but little disappointed cuz of bats. But the black spare one is ok and charged i am using it for last hour ofcourse without the black cone.. hehe... I feel like a little kid.

Last edited:

slin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SoCal
yes, that what I thought you got a 901 cone by mistake

but use without cone
I do , havent used it with cone only for testing ---

I am sure Selina will take great care of you .
Hello Di
thanks for the reply
i am not sure I got 901 cone or not

Here is the update, I was playing around again with the cone and batteries.
black cone will fit with titanium batteries
titanium cone will fit with black battery
only thing that won’t fit is black cone with black battery, its very strange
black battery is only working battery of the order
i am not sure yet on using it with or without cone , sure looks better with the cone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread