Exploding eGo-T battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

imbt01

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2010
NC
Wow, I wonder what could have caused it to do this. I'm going to start taking my batteries off the charger when they finish. I generally leave mine on the charger until I need them. :( Thanks for posting your experience. I'm so glad you weren't sleeping when this happened.

Glad you are OK....omg ! (the real omg, not the juice !) So, you were charging an EGO-T batt from the USB on your computer? Or....were you charging from a 510 charger hooked to the wall? I always charge from the wall.....but I will NEVER leave any batt's charging again! Right now I have 4 Batt's charging from 4 different outlet's in my kitchen. As soon as the green light comes on , they are going to be unplugged !!!!! :( :blink:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I found a few on amazon for around $20. For me, not too expensive for peace of mind and doesn't take up too much space.

That's a good price. Last time I looked, the 12.5 inch by 9.5 inch liposacks were about twice that much.

Your avatar sheep looks targhee but for the ears. What breed is that?

robinsegg

Apr 28, 2011
Arizona, US
Glad you are OK....omg ! (the real omg, not the juice !) So, you were charging an EGO-T batt from the USB on your computer? Or....were you charging from a 510 charger hooked to the wall? I always charge from the wall.....but I will NEVER leave any batt's charging again! Right now I have 4 Batt's charging from 4 different outlet's in my kitchen. As soon as the green light comes on , they are going to be unplugged !!!!! :( :blink:

I was using a regular shorty 510 usb charger on the computer. I have a Dell Studio with usb ports in a slight depression on the top of the case. When the charger is plugged in there is a bit of an upward angle to the batt. I have a hub that sits there to support the heavy eGos.

If I had been using the one that uses wall power I probably would be in the hospital. That one sits on the desk in front of the computer with the cap end pointed right at me. It has now been moved. :facepalm:

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
These bags for charging are required equipment as far as I am concerned. These bags are large enough to even charge batteries in the large Ultrafire chargers. I use only Pila chargers and all of my mods run on 18650 batteries. I have no problem putting the batteries in the charger and putting the whole charger in the bag and sealing it.

Here is another seller that is in the US:
Lipo Battery Safe Guard Charging Bag | eBay

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Thanks, Wing. There is probably nothing the vendor could do about it.As there isn't anything really left inside the metal case, there is no way to tell what caused the malfunction. I do have the charger - a bit worse for the experience, and it lights up a batt as normal. But I don't think I will be using it.

What is left of the batt & charger will be coming to VapeFest-Las Vegas with me next month. I hope there will be reps from Joye Tech there so I can talk to them about it. I really would like to know just what happened.

Were you running a LR atty prior to the incident?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I posted in a thread awhile back saying how after reading about batteries catching fire, I now charge batteries in a metal pan.

There were some who said this is "Overkill" and that the chances of a battery catching fire are Remote. I guess "remote" isn't a word that comes to mind with the OP.

robinsegg

Apr 28, 2011
Arizona, US
I posted in a thread awhile back saying how after reading about batteries catching fire, I now charge batteries in a metal pan.

There were some who said this is "Overkill" and that the chances of a battery catching fire are Remote. I guess "remote" isn't a word that comes to mind with the OP.

LOL, Not any more, that's for sure!

I can see why none of these are made in the US. After adding in the cost of all the lawsuits, each batt would cost about $500...

El-ahrairah

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
Chesterfield, MI
Dang, that's messed up! It's good to see that you weren't harmed. But yeah, I never, ever charge my batteries if I'm not going to be around/awake to react, should something happen. I used to charge my eGo batteries at night, when I left home, etc all willy-nilly. However, when I got my first mod and started charging those batteries, I kept getting this nagging feeling like I should be more watchful. The exact same feeling makes me keep a fire extinguisher next to my computer, just in case.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
LOL, Not any more, that's for sure!

I can see why none of these are made in the US. After adding in the cost of all the lawsuits, each batt would cost about $500...

It is unfortunate but one of the ways OEMs can make is battery for $6 is to eliminate things like Quality Control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread