Not open for further replies.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
If it has the 5 click on/off it's genuine.

that is not always the case, i've come across quite a few people that have 5-click on/off eGo-T's that are fakes.
one of the many tell tale signs are the size, font and color of text on the battaries, and the color of the LED. Genuine eGo's only have white LED's.

but at the end of the day, most knockoffs come from the same factories as the originals. they just come out the back door unassembled... lol

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
regular 510 chargers are NOT TO BE USED with ego t batteries. says so right on the charger.

while this is true, i dont think that using a 510 charger on an eGo will cause it to explode, it may just lower it's life cycle. BUT using an eGo charger to charger a 510 might... it has everything to do with the charge rate that the charger puts out v.s. the capacity of the batteries.

but for safety and redundancy, always use the charger designed for the battery. it's just common sence.

some extra info: read the chargers mAh output rating. if it is over the mAh capacity of the battery don't use it.
eGo chargers put out ~450mAh and 510 put out 150mAh (i think).
i dont think the curcuitry of the 510 was designed to accept that much juice and may cause some damage to the board. but i dont see how an eGo would be affected by this, aside from the extreme amount of charge time it would take to charge a 1000mAh battery...

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
while this is true, i dont think that using a 510 charger on an eGo will cause it to explode, it may just lower it's life cycle. BUT using an eGo charger to charger a 510 might... it has everything to do with the charge rate that the charger puts out v.s. the capacity of the batteries.

but for safety and redundancy, always use the charger designed for the battery. it's just common sence.

some extra info: read the chargers mAh output rating. if it is over the mAh capacity of the battery don't use it.
eGo chargers put out ~450mAh and 510 put out 150mAh (i think).
i dont think the curcuitry of the 510 was designed to accept that much juice and may cause some damage to the board. but i dont see how an eGo would be affected by this, aside from the extreme amount of charge time it would take to charge a 1000mAh battery...

No truer words.

Cignot only sells Joye hardware and a specific warning that you WILL fry a 510 battery if put on an eGo charger is posted all over the hardware area. ("Fry" is their choice of word.) For just the reason you cite: the eGo charger puts out nearly 3 times the current of a 510 charger and those iddy biddy 510's can't handle/don't need that current level. (It is 420 mA for the eGo charger, 150 mA for the 510. I have both and just double checked.)

As to charging an eGo battery on a 510 charger - yes, supposedly you can do it and Joye even makes an extender so you can fit an eGo battery onto a 510 charger or that Joye 10 battery charger as well. But the most obvious issue with doing so is it will take a heck of a lot longer to charge at the lower current output of either of those chargers.

But why would it shorten the life cycle charging an eGo battery at a lower current level? That's not a rhetorical question - is there a reason why this is so with li-on?

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
But why would it shorten the life cycle charging an eGo battery at a lower current level? That's not a rhetorical question - is there a reason why this is so with li-on?

i think it had something to do with too low of an amperage and the battery itself may not take in the juice, and will just sit on the charger, which i'm assuming is not good...
i may have heard this while talking to another RC hobbyist, so this may be wrong. and probably doesn't apply to charging an ego.

but as always, research is key. don't just take my word for it.:vapor:

billy02

Aug 9, 2011
Tucson
I've got an eGo-T passthrough for a 510-T atomizer. Tonight the push button got stuck in the on position. At first I didn't even realize it because the light stopped working when I pressed the button. Luckily, I noticed that it was getting hot just sitting in my holder. Now I'm unscrewing the atty after I take a puff & screwing it back in when I want another. Of course I'm leery of the damn thing now but I'm checking regularly for heat while it's just sitting. It could be my imagination but it also seems to be running hotter now than it was before the switch got stuck.

billy02

Aug 9, 2011
Tucson
I have just finished reading these posts from page 1 to the end & obviously I'm now concerned with the possibility of booming batteries. I have precautions for charging but none for having one blow up in my face. I've only been steamin' for a few months but I've already learned to be cautious of too much heat in the atty. At home I keep several different e-cigs at the ready & alternate between them. When I go out I take one of them with a spare batt & tank or cart. That brings me to my question. Has anyone experienced or heard of a batt exploding while in use without getting very hot first? If not, I will feel much more comfortable about steamin'. Not that I would quit if it has happened, just that I would feel more comfortable if it hasn't.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
What I have.....

Amazon.com: Li-Po Charge Protection Bag, Small: Toys & Games

41gkFatv6CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
This is very interesting Buzzkilla: "Genuine eGo's only have white LED's."

I have 2 regular "eGo" batteries (real eGo, per their advertising) from a VERY POPULAR vendor here, the LED is blue.

Also, from this same VERY POPULAR vendor, I bought a variable volt ego. It came with a USB charger. I used that charger (hooked it up the USB to my iMac), & 1 night (after a couple weeks of using both), the iMac gave me a message that it disabled the USB port because it detected a very high current.

Soooo, I felt the battery, it was hot, I felt the USB charger, it was hot. oh boy! I pulled out the charger, put the battery in the backyard where it was cold & raining that night. The next day, I threw both out.

In addition, I had originally bought actually 3 of those VV egos from that vendor. I threw the others out as well, as they had always acted wrong too (issues with not charging, not working with a brand new clearomiser 2.8 ohm checked with my Provari - altho with my white LED ego-T 1000 mah, the clearomisers worked fine) .

I am now very wary about buying from that vendor anymore (except for maybe an in-stock drip tip - hard to mess that up unless they take weeks/ month(s) to ship it <- a definite possibility that has also occurred). I don't trust them. Theres other issues too that I won't speak of here, that I've seen them do to others as well, but they have a lot of fanboys who will drown out whatever one posts, don't trust all the glowing reviews you read. Or, they will delete a person's post from their forum to keep their product ratings 4 stars or above.

Caveat Emptor!!!

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I believe I know who you are speaking about and HEARTILY agree!!!!!!! It's like junk from a dolllar store, except he wants full price. I also bought a vvego there, and it was junk.

I believe his followers have changed tho, the QC on the products he sells is terrible. They can be friendly and have great customer service, but in the end, a leaky malfunctioning battery- killing clearo and batteries that don't work just doesn't cut it.

CheeMiss

ECF Veteran
    Jun 16, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I just had the scare of my life. I had started recharging my eGo-T (1000 mah) about 2 hrs earlier and was reading in the forum when the thing just went off like a rocket! There was a loud BANG and fire and sparks shot out of the end at least 2 feet. I am just glad that it was not pointed in my direction as my face was only about a foot and a half away.
    I wish there had been a camera on it at the time. That would have really been something to see! And the sound... very loud roar till it burned out.

Who was the supplier? Was this an authentic e-Go? Scary, real scary. Especially when many of us plug it in just before we go to be & let it charge thru the night.

I am glad that you were awake & present during this horrific incident, so that you could put out the fire. I am also very happy that you were not hurt.

davido

Verified Member
    Jul 6, 2011
    pensacola, florida
    oh my, really dont know what to think. i came in to the ego forum as i received my first ego today. i have been using box mods i built. i am no battery expert, only know what i have read. so i follow instructions: NEVER, EVER LEAVE A LI-ION BATTERY ON CHARGER AFTER INDICATOR DISPLAYS "CHARGED". this is repeated over and over anytime i see this discussion. please research this yourself. overcharging is extremely dangerous. i dont want to read about some being hurt.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/19698-abcs-batteries.html

good vaping to ya
    davido

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2009
    SouthEastern Louisiana
    From what I have read, the few eGo incidences have popped the bottom cap and allowed the cell to spill it's guts. I think some of the Riva types even have a chrome plated plastic cap. The button end seems to be pressed in pretty tight. So tight in fact there have been several posts on how to work it loose and remove it :) Gas pressure will leak past the button and the bottom cap should pop out if something goes wrong.
    Maybe I missed it, but has an eGo blown the front end?

If the top of your eGo (or clone) gets loose then it may not be safe to use.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yeah, you're right Rocketman. The few instances of them blowing out was from the bottom during charging, I think. Maybe I was thinking of the recent explosion (unverified?) from the top of the new 5v version.

I Wonder how safe my PT's are?? Haven't heard of them exploding, but that's alot of additional stuff to bow out the bottom.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2009
    SouthEastern Louisiana
    I Wonder how safe my PT's are?? Haven't heard of them exploding, but that's alot of additional stuff to bow out the bottom.

I still think the bottom of a PT type eGo will still pop out the bottom before the top. The cap, mini USB connector, wires, and hot battery guts will probably come out. We can hope, right?

Just stop using an eGo (or any other mod) that just doesn't seem to be working right.
    We used to smoke $50 a carton cigarettes and just can't seem to be able to toss out a worn out $15 e-cig battery.
    If it "auto fires" just once, maybe buy another one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread