Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Simple answer: NO
That cotton you speak of is most likely bleached, no one would recommend you use that.
Worst case i've heard is if you're in a tight pinch use cotton balls but even then you gotta make sure they're not bleached. Use organic cotton or something made for vaping.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In my experience cotton is cotton is cotton. Unbleached cotton has less of a flavor change for the first few puffs but the difference is not great. The thing that won’t work well is woven cotton pads. You need regular pads like Japanese’s facial cotton or cotton balls.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Koh gen Do, Muji and a number of other Organic Cotton is facial cotton.

So short answer is yes but recommendation is to get unbleached organic cotton. Standard Cotton it's advisable to boil before using so save yourself the hassle and get Koh gen Do. Koh gen Do works wonderful as wicking material.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I have organic cotton balls from a pharmacy. Been picking away at this bag for a long time. I'm sure they are intended for facial use and they're very white.

I think organic or not does not make much difference...it is just marketing ...you never know if it is really organic... I just use rayon (cellucotton) it is made from processed wood pulp, originally developed as a cotton substitute for bandages and later used for sanitary towels and paper tissues. If it is safe for bandages it is safe enough for me to use as wicking material... for 43 years I inhaled burnt wood pulp with not knowing if inside tobbaco leaves were organic or not...even if rayon wood pulp is not organic it is much safer because it is not burn but serve as wicking material. For just $15 I have enough excellent wicking cotton for my life time.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have organic cotton balls from a pharmacy. Been picking away at this bag for a long time. I'm sure they are intended for facial use and they're very white.
*reads post*
"organic cotton balls"
"very white"
"designed for facial use"

I'm sorry. Theres just too much to unpack there

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I think organic or not does not make much difference...it is just marketing ...you never know if it is really organic... I just use rayon (cellucotton) it is made from processed wood pulp, originally developed as a cotton substitute for bandages and later used for sanitary towels and paper tissues. If it is safe for bandages it is safe enough for me to use as wicking material... for 43 years I inhaled burnt wood pulp with not knowing if inside tobbaco leaves were organic or not...even if rayon wood pulp is not organic it is much safer because it is not burn but serve as wicking material. For just $15 I have enough excellent wicking cotton for my life time.
*reads post*
"organic cotton balls"
"very white"
"designed for facial use"

I'm sorry. Theres just too much to unpack there

I was saying what I have and its description to comment on the need for unbleached organic. I don't know if cotton needs to be bleached to be white. And I sort of doubt the possibility of anything being as organic as the people who demand organic would like. We've been polluting the world too long to have prime farm ground that has managed to go untouched.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The short answer is you'll likely have an easier time with cotton more suited to vaping. Whether it has been bleached or not, well the cotton I got for vaping (forget where, or what, I have moved on UP to rayon these days, LOL) but it was slightly tan and in cut squares. I have a feeling it was one of the more popular options.

I know facial cotton was used in the beginning (with boiling) to reduce impurities/any traces of bleach (if they were there) so if that's what you got your hands on, and all you can get, you could probably use the search function to see how to handle them.

It may just be easier in the long run to get cotton "designed' or at least "marketed" so to speak for vaping for the cost of a little bit more. If this is all you have, you could probably use it with the caveat of making sure you know how to handle it.

With that said, I use Sally's Rayon Cellucotton and it's fine. It isn't organic, but it doesn't seem to contain any impurities and so really, what matters most (whatever you use) is that it's not full of impurities or horrible things. I very much doubt that you'll come to harm if you use the cotton you have on hand, (if you make sure to follow--whatever process I don't know much about because I was not around in the cotton ball days). But, I do believe it would be overall easier to just get some cotton designed for vaping, unless you simply can't (IDK your location and etc.)

Best of luck with whatever you wind up gong with.

Anna

Reactions: Janusz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread