Fake LG H2 battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpondra

Aug 26, 2013
Australia
Hi guys,

I have a question for people who know more about batteries than I do.

I ordered two LG H2 18650s (brown ones) off a seemingly well regarded seller on ebay and wondering if they are fakes? They have a Caution blurb printed on them and within this blurb it refers to '-e-cigarattes'.

Is this a common spelling mistake or are they fake, if anyone knows? They came totally de-charged.

Just not sure if they are safe to use or if they are legit and I'm worrying over a spelling mistake. On reddit, people are undecided whether the spelling mistakes are either fake or legit...they didn't come to a conclusion.

I'm trusting the experienced heads here can help me out!
Cheers!

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Hi guys,

I ordered two LG H2 18650s (brown ones) off a seemingly well regarded seller on ebay and wondering if they are fakes? They have a Caution blurb printed on them and within this blurb it refers to '-e-cigarattes'.

Is this a common spelling mistake or are they fake, if anyone knows? They came totally de-charged.

Just not sure if they are safe to use or if they are legit and I'm worrying over a spelling mistake. On reddit, people are undecided whether the spelling mistakes are either fake or legit...they didn't come to a conclusion.

Cheers!
snap a photo on battery series number, it should able to tell ori or fake ...

Shpondra

Aug 26, 2013
Australia
This is what it looks like

Attachments

• DFB0D1FF-90A8-4D4B-BF2F-8426956DA254.jpeg
    DFB0D1FF-90A8-4D4B-BF2F-8426956DA254.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 254

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
hg2 were widely cloned a year or two back. I think mooch posted a "how to spot a fake"

if not mooch, someone did. I think the detail was in legs, not wraps

in future, avoid ebay. use liionwholesale, illumn.com, or another trusted vendor. Your face is worth more than a $2 saving

Shpondra

Aug 26, 2013
Australia
Yep. Some people over at aussievapers.com have recommended me the one and only ebay seller that is legit over here in AU, and tests every battery. The Aussievapers tend to think this is most probably a fake as it's rampant on ebay AU.

My face needs to be safe indeed. I think I'm gonna replace all my batteries.

Thanks for the help.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Yep. Some people over at aussievapers.com have recommended me the one and only ebay seller that is legit over here in AU, and tests every battery. The Aussievapers tend to think this is most probably a fake as it's rampant on ebay AU.

My face needs to be safe indeed. I think I'm gonna replace all my batteries.

Thanks for the help.
Supersports600

Didn't realise you were aussie

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    it doesn't look like clone or replica, charge it up, those caution print might be from some small supplier that doesn't care much, as HG2 is not vape targeted battery :)

That caution print was added by LG to all of their 2500mAh or higher cells a while ago because vapers kept blowing themselves up and suing LG. I believe it might be optional for their large industrial/commercial customers.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I have seen legit LG HG2’s with and without those warnings. The manufacture codes are not a true indication on whether the battery is legit or not. You have to compare visually with a known legit cell in terms of dimensions, weight, the wrap, positive tab and how the battery is capped. And even then one may need to resort to electrical measurements for fakes are getting better and better at disguising themselves.

I am sure your fellow Aussie vapers intentions are sound, but ebay is not what I consider a reliable source for these batteries. There was another fella on these forums who purchased fake Samsung’s off a so called credible source on ebay

Can you identify the fake LG HG2 18650 Battery?

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2018
    That caution print was added by LG to all of their 2500mAh or higher cells a while ago because vapers kept blowing themselves up and suing LG. I believe it might be optional for their large industrial/commercial customers.
    since when LG,samsung,panasonic sell their 18650 Li-Ion batteries directly to consumers ....

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    They don’t. But there were/are many lawsuits against LG from consumers blowing up their batteries.

Or batteries pretending to be theirs.

Part of the problem is that no one can confirm a battery is legitimate. You can read all you want about identifying counterfeits, but the most you'll ever be able to establish is that a battery is definitely fake. Any battery that seems to be genuine might just be a better counterfeit. Under the circumstances, the best rule for safety is to assume that any battery from eBay (or Amazon or any similar site) is fake. Well, some destructive tests can confirm that a battery is either legitimate or as close a copy as makes no difference, but those aren't really tests you can do at home.

Coming totally discharged can be a problem too. If the battery's charge drops below 2.5v it will usually be damaged. Some chargers can still charge it, but since you don't know what damage was done while the charge was down, it's no longer safe to use the battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    since when LG,samsung,panasonic sell their 18650 Li-Ion batteries directly to consumers ....
    They don't. In fact they don't like the idea that their batteries are being used in anything other than a protected battery pack.

MIjuK1B.jpg

2015042519460251.jpg

The same goes for Sony/Murata:

sony-battery-jpg.529035

The whole point to buying batteries from trusted battery suppliers is its the best way to avoid getting counterfeits. These trusted suppliers go out of their way to source authentic brand name batteries and stake their business reputation on that fact; some actually test individual batteries from each lot to determine their quality. They also guarantee their authenticity. Vape shops or EBay suppliers don't go to those extremes and they likely have no idea who or where there sources really are.

Last edited:

Pierre Marios

Mar 28, 2019
    France,paris
    Hi guys,

Cheers!
    Just test the weight of the battery it should be 45-46gram smth like that if its more or less then its fake

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    They don't. In fact they don't like the idea that their batteries are being used in anything other than a protected battery pack.
    Ha! How ridiculous that such unenforceable disclaimers are necessary to limit liability. This is a direct consequence of frivolous lawsuits filed on behalf of idiots who refuse to take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions, that are sustained by the courts.

• Optimistic

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Or just use a multimeter if its fake the multimeter shouldn’t give you results

A fake runs at the same voltage range as genuine cells. You can’t tell if a cell is fake or genuine just by measuring the voltage...unfortunately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread