Not open for further replies.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    @smacuser do you have any suggestions? You've posted about some tobaccos previously that I can't remember. Also @FranC do you have any suggestions?
    Hangsen Pipe,Flue Cured and Fortune Strike (Magic Mix).

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I suppose sharing that I like more of a pipe or cigar profile would help.
    I am not a hardcore tobacco fan. But, I was interested in finding something that reminded me of my Grandpa's pipe tobacco pouch (he was a Half&Half smoker for as long as I new him). Inawera (INW) Am4a fit that bill better than anything else I have come across. It is fairly potent, and at just 3-3.5% (solo), I get a fantastic fresh pipe tobacco flavor out of it.
    As a side note, I seem to like this one younger. For my palate, Am4a's sweet spot seems to be from 3 days (after mixing), to 2½ weeks. After that, it loses a fair amount of those "pipe pouch" aromatics, and becomes more of a traditional/generic tobacco. Because of that, I don't mix more than a two week supply at a time. There are still plenty of DIYers who like this one with additional aging.

The only other tobacco, that has caught my attention (as one I will buy again), is Hangsen (HS) Flue Cured. This also has a bit of a "pipe" feel to me, but not quite as defined as Am4a. I like using Flue Cured at 3.5-4%, as a stand-alone. This one needs about 3 weeks, to really begin to mature, for my tastes.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
    Alas despite the good reviews the Flavorah tobaccos I tried really didn't do it for me standalone, but a few of them mixed together in All the Flavors @fears "Abuela" recipe is one of the best DIY tobacco blends I've come across. Flavorah's "Native" was probably the one I enjoyed the most out of them standalone but I've not been back to the bottle since I first tested it, which says enough to me. Most of them were gunk heavy on the coil too (even more so than NETs) which surprised me.

Inawera's Am4a is amazing. I mix it at 4% but probably wouldn't go much higher than that. It's a subtle, seemingly ever evolving pipe tobacco flavour that pairs incredibly well with a strong coffee in the morning and continues to deliver throughout the day. I find I'm actually reaching for this before my NET's at the moment and it's so cheap to buy/vape in comparison to them. I'm going to get hold of Inawera's Black for Pipe next to see how it compares as well as I have heard great things about it.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    @smacuser do you have any suggestions? You've posted about some tobaccos previously that I can't remember. Also @FranC do you have any suggestions?
    Hey Skeebo, I came to this thread ready to recreate some of my then favorite vendor mixes; Boba's Bounty, BWB Casablanca, Good Life's El Kamino. What a joke, I was so naive. But you can see I was into Ry4 and 555 tobaccos. Here was my ranking from late last year. A lot of these flavors have changed their positions since then.
    Right now, I'm digging on Goofy's Juice; A mix of RY4 Double with hazelnut, peanut butter, graham cracker and AP. As for single tobacco flavors, here's my current top 10:
    1. Red USA Mix - HS
    2. Elder Captain - HS
    3. Maxx Blend - FA
    4. Gold Ducat - INW
    5. Dark Vapure - FA
    6. RY4 Double - TFA
    7. No. 5 - HS
    8. Highway - HS
    9. Tab Blended - HS
    10. 555 Gold - INW
    Honorable mentions are Soho - FA, and Sweet Tobacco - PUR
    I'd say Elder Captain and Gold Ducat have moved down and 555 Gold, RY4D, and Tab Blended have moved up. RY4D and Purilum Sweet Tobacco (PST) are good bases to mix with other tobaccos. RY4 Double was first purchased for making Tribeca and now Goofy's Juice, which I like a lot more. PST is a good mix for Gold Ducat, but I really liked the mix with 555 Gold. PST is also great for bakery or fruit inspired mixes, as in, I just dump it straight into the tank with whatever else is in there.

To me, Red USA MIX is just a great ADV. Nothing special, just goes with everything from morning coffee to afternoon beer. Initially, I bought some AP to add to create a 555 type flavor, but HS - No.5 did the trick. Maxx Blend and Dark Vapure hold a special place in my heart. These were mixes sold at FSUSA, their Pall Mall is actually Dark Vapure for the most part, it's a dryer almost licorice (but not licorice, I hate licorice) taste. Where Maxx Blend is a lighter mix with a honey exhale.

I am becoming more curious about the Flavorah offerings and could just kick myself for not adding Am4a with my last order to try.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Hey Skeebo, I came to this thread ready to recreate some of my then favorite vendor mixes; Boba's Bounty, BWB Casablanca, Good Life's El Kamino. What a joke, I was so naive. But you can see I was into Ry4 and 555 tobaccos. Here was my ranking from late last year. A lot of these flavors have changed their positions since then.

I'd say Elder Captain and Gold Ducat have moved down and 555 Gold, RY4D, and Tab Blended have moved up. RY4D and Purilum Sweet Tobacco (PST) are good bases to mix with other tobaccos. RY4 Double was first purchased for making Tribeca and now Goofy's Juice, which I like a lot more. PST is a good mix for Gold Ducat, but I really liked the mix with 555 Gold. PST is also great for bakery or fruit inspired mixes, as in, I just dump it straight into the tank with whatever else is in there.

To me, Red USA MIX is just a great ADV. Nothing special, just goes with everything from morning coffee to afternoon beer. Initially, I bought some AP to add to create a 555 type flavor, but HS - No.5 did the trick. Maxx Blend and Dark Vapure hold a special place in my heart. These were mixes sold at FSUSA, their Pall Mall is actually Dark Vapure for the most part, it's a dryer almost licorice (but not licorice, I hate licorice) taste. Where Maxx Blend is a lighter mix with a honey exhale.

I am becoming more curious about the Flavorah offerings and could just kick myself for not adding Am4a with my last order to try.

Thanks so much Smacuser! I saw a lot of your posts regarding DIY tobaccos and they always sounded so good. I remembered the Red but nothing else. I really appreciate the response.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thanks so much Smacuser! I saw a lot of your posts regarding DIY tobaccos and they always sounded so good. I remembered the Red but nothing else. I really appreciate the response.
    Yeah man. Let us know how it goes. I'd like to hear more about Flavorah.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I'll throw a couple of my favorites. Tuskin, Island Tobacco, and Blended Tobacco from Super Concentrate (SC) are pretty good. Tuskin is a acid cigar like mix which reminds me of some of the NET acid blonde stuff I used to vape. Maybe not as pungent but pretty good. Island Tobacco is your typical island type pipe mix with the rum and tropical fruit notes. Blended is a pipe tobacco which I believe has coffee and chocolate notes.

USA Red (HS) is much like a cigarette type of mix but very good. Cohiba (HS) is another good cigar flavor.

I would also look into getting some TA's such as Garuda, Virginia, and Cuban Cigar, along with Dirty Neutral Base (DNB) all from Inawera. Use at small amounts to add authentic tobacco notes to your mixes. DNB adds an ashy note which helps make mixes seem more authentic sometimes.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I'll throw a couple of my favorites. Tuskin, Island Tobacco, and Blended Tobacco from Super Concentrate (SC) are pretty good. Tuskin is a acid cigar like mix which reminds me of some of the NET acid blonde stuff I used to vape. Maybe not as pungent but pretty good. Island Tobacco is your typical island type pipe mix with the rum and tropical fruit notes. Blended is a pipe tobacco which I believe has coffee and chocolate notes.

USA Red (HS) is much like a cigarette type of mix but very good. Cohiba (HS) is another good cigar flavor.

I would also look into getting some TA's such as Garuda, Virginia, and Cuban Cigar, along with Dirty Neutral Base (DNB) all from Inawera. Use at small amounts to add authentic tobacco notes to your mixes. DNB adds an ashy note which helps make mixes seem more authentic sometimes.

Hey Vicman, thanks for the suggestions. Quick question-- Is that Island Tobacco the same as this:
    Island Flavoring-SC

Vicman

ECF Veteran
    Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Hey Vicman, thanks for the suggestions. Quick question-- Is that Island Tobacco the same as this:
    Island Flavoring-SC
    Yeah, that'd be it. If getting it, I use it at 3%. With that brand 3% is the high point. Any more it gets an odd taste. Seen others point that out as well so figured I'd pass it along.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I'm usually a subohm DL vaper, so I've pulled out one of my old mtl tanks, a kayfun lite, and tanked up some FLV red burley at 3% 60/40. It's one of the sfts I have made. I am really enjoying it a lot. It's only 3 days old, but the flavor is earthy and rich. It's very pipe-ish with a hint of spice, maybe clove?

It reminds me a bit of patriot tobacco from Goodejuice and Halo's freedom tobacco. After I mixed it I saw online that most like it at 2% with a good steep, so I'll make another batch in that ratio and let it sit.

I should be getting a delivery from Bull City tomorrow. The tobaccos are: Am4a, Red USA Mix, Island Tobacco, Pipe (French)-HS, Soho, Kentucky Blend, and Maxx Blend.

I plan on placing another order for more of the suggestions above.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    I've been trying a few of my tobacco sfts. One that I did not expect much from is actually quite good. Flavorah Tatanka tobacco mixed at 3% is giving a nice medium flavor, not too dry, with an extremely faint, and I mean barely noticeable anise in the background. I don't care for anise but the slight hint of it does this juice well. There is also a very light fruity note that I can't quite make out. I can see this pairing with another tobacco really well. I know I am very new in this journey, but this could at 3% be a stand alone vape for me.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
    Having worked my way through a lot of tests this year, including NETs, Hangsen, TPA/TFA and Flavorah tobaccos, I must admit I've been left feeling a little underwhelmed (I did quite like FLV Native and loved Am4a and @Fears Abuela recipe though), so I decided to start working my way through Inawera's range.

As I've mentioned previously I love Am4a @4% and surprisingly it is one of very few Inawera tobaccos that are available from the usual preferable main vendors in the UK. So I finally bit the bullet and went direct to Inawera.com. Apart from a few translation glitches it was easy enough to order and delivery was within a few days.

Currently steeping I have 30ml batches of (3.5%) Black, Dark, Gold, Capt Jack and Black Cherry all in the "for Pipe" range. Normal tobaccos I have Gold Ducat, Sunset Virginia, Burley, Absolut Cuban and Cavendish Type.

If I can find one more "ADV" out of those I'll be happy, two would be a bonus. Along with Am4a standalone and @fears Abuela recipe that would be 3 or 4 new ADV's discovered this year to add to the rotation and would make the money I've invested in testing worthwhile. Fingers crossed.

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016
    Cheers dc99. I quite liked Cardinal, but I always make large batches of recipes I have in my rotation, and I found Cardinal faded considerably after 4-6 weeks (even with doubling up the tobacco as @fear suggested).

I've tried Kentucky Blend and Red Burley recently and I didn't enjoy them too much standalone. To me (as Abuela shows) most FLV's definitely work better combined so I have used the remaining concentrates from Red Burley, Kentucky, Cured and Virginia and made various base mixes, which I've since used in numerous small test mixes blended with other INW tobaccos, fruit and desert flavours. They will all be steeped about the same time as the Inawera standalone tests.

In addition to those I have made a few tests of some other popular recipes including Brigade 2506, Gatsby and Black Forest Bacco. I think in total I now have 25+ new 30ml tests steeping and ready to start exploring by the end of month. These will be the last tests I do this year though.

I dug out FLV Native again yesterday and I have to say it's improved even further after the extended steep. I'm really glad this thread reminded me about it and I've not put it down and I can actually see me adding this one to the rotation as well.

Will keep an eye out for FLV's Sweet Tobacco and thanks for the heads up.

dc99

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    Cheers dc99. I quite liked Cardinal, but I always make large batches of recipes I have in my rotation, and I found Cardinal faded considerably after 4-6 weeks (even with doubling up the tobacco as @fear suggested).

I've tried Kentucky Blend and Red Burley recently and I didn't enjoy them too much standalone. To me (as Abuela shows) most FLV's definitely work better combined so I have used the remaining concentrates from Red Burley, Kentucky, Cured and Virginia and made various base mixes, which I've since used in numerous small test mixes blended with other INW tobaccos, fruit and desert flavours. They will all be steeped about the same time as the Inawera standalone tests.

In addition to those I have made a few tests of some other popular recipes including Brigade 2506, Gatsby and Black Forest Bacco. I think in total I now have 25+ new 30ml tests steeping and ready to start exploring by the end of month. These will be the last tests I do this year though.

I dug out FLV Native again yesterday and I have to say it's improved even further after the extended steep. I'm really glad this thread reminded me about it and I've not put it down and I can actually see me adding this one to the rotation as well.

Will keep an eye out for FLV's Sweet Tobacco and thanks for the heads up.
    I totally agree they are not stand alone flavors but great in mixes. Each one seems to bring something unique to a mix. Recently I have been testing out some pur tobaccos and find them very interesting. There vanilla tobacco seems really promising.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread