Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Food love should be spread to all, similar to love of juices. ;)

Dusty_D's Kansas style BBQ Rub

Makes enough for a brisket and couple racks of ribs. Perfect for a party.

Ingredients:
· Brown Sugar (oven dried and ground): 12 tbsp

· White Sugar: 2 tbsp

· salt: 3 tbsp

· Onion powder: 3 tbsp

· Garlic powder: 3 tbsp

· Paprika powder: 10 tbsp

· Cayenne Pepper powder: 1 tbsp (more to taste)

· Chili powder: 1 tbsp (more to taste)

· Cumin powder: 1 tbsp

· Cinnamon powder: 2 tbsp

· Clove powder: 2 tbsp

· White pepper: 1 tbsp

· Black pepper: 1 tbsp

· Cocoa powder: 1 tbsp

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Let sit for 1/2 hour. Rub into meat, aggressively, until an even dry coat covers all sides of the meat. Marinate overnight.

Dust a light layer of rub onto the meat before cooking.

Cook low and slow. 220F temperature. Brisket for 8 - 10 hours, Ribs 3 - 4 hours depending on the size of the rack. A good average to follow is roughly an hour per pound of meat.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Bowl of Cereal

1 bowl
1 spoon
1 box of cereal
1 carton milk

Pour cereal in bowl. Pour milk on top. Dig in with spoon. Enjoy!

Mm that sounds great! Now, is that fruity COPYRIGHTDMCA, captain crunch or something more exotic and age appropriate...like Count Chocula?

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Already copied your recipe Dusty. Looks great. And I think I have all the ingredients believe it or not. Just need the brisket.

Just picked up our quarter of a cow today! One packer cut brisket, about 60 lbs of ground beef, 12 or so T bones, sirloins/filets, short ribs (made some of these tonight-braised) and who knows what else. Going to be on an all red meat diet for the next year!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just picked up our quarter of a cow today! One packer cut brisket, about 60 lbs of ground beef, 12 or so T bones, sirloins/filets, short ribs (made some of these tonight-braised) and who knows what else. Going to be on an all red meat diet for the next year!

We should be seeing some ground beef recipes from you soon then, huh?

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Clay's Texas Chili

Ingredients:
2 Lbs ground beef (I prefer sirloin, and those not on a cardiac healthy diet, the fattier the better taste!)
4 to 6 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
1 medium to large vidalia (yellow) onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic (about half to 2/3 of the whole head), minced
3 cans of beans (I sometimes go with dry beans, but typically save the time. I like Northern/Navy beans, Kidney OR Pinto beans, and black eyed peas, but whatever you like will work)
1/4 cup of sugar (I pretty much use unprocessed cane sugar for anything and everything)
3 or 4 jalapenos, diced or chopped
2 to 4 habaneros, diced or chopped
3 or 4 serranos, diced or chopped
3 or 4 red chilis (I often actually use purplish thai chilis), diced or chopped
3 or 4 scotch bonnets, or another not as spicy chili like anaheim or whatever , diced or chopped
chili powder
cayenne pepper
salt (I like kosher)
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
cilantro

The chili:

In a large skillet, brown the beef with the onions and minced garlic. If you lack a large enough skillet, 1 lb of the beef at a time with half of the garlic and half of the onion would work, I used to have to do this. When most of the pink is now brown, add 4 Tbsp of chili powder (2 if browning half at a time), 10 to 15 shakes of cayenne, and 2 tsp of salt, total (i.e. half of this per pound of browning meat). When the meat is completely browned, dump it (and ALL the yummy juices) into a large crockpot. Add the beans, half of the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and the peppers (dice to the size you prefer, if you are worried about the heat, devein and remove the seeds first, you big wuss!*). Add another 2 Tbsp or so of chili powder (to your taste actually) and more salt (again, to taste).

I then add half a bunch of the cilantro (not cut or chopped, easier to remove later this way) and cook on high (depending on your crockpot of course) 5 to 6 hours, UNCOVERED (to aid in thickening and concentrating the flavors, think "steeping" ;)) For the last half an hour, but NO MORE, add in the remainder of the tomatoes (the ones you just cooked have disintergrated, leaving only the skins behind).

In the end, I will add some water, if necessary, to get the thick consistency I prefer. Alternately you could cook covered for 3 or 4 hours, but it may end up thin for your taste. Remove the cilantro and serve. I like mine with fresh chopped onion (white or red) and more diced fresh jalapenos, and a good amount of diced fresh cilantro. Some like cheese, crackers, even pasta noodles (Yankee alert!) in theirs. Whatever you want.

And of course, like any complex ejuice, steeping, this time in the fridge or freezer, for 2 or three days makes it that much better.

*If you don't like REAL hot chili, leave out the habaneros, and cut in half the amount of remaining hot chili peppers you add to yours.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Clay's Texas Chili

Ingredients:
2 Lbs ground beef (I prefer sirloin, and those not on a cardiac healthy diet, the fattier the better taste!)
4 to 6 vine ripened tomatoes, diced
1 medium to large vidalia (yellow) onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic (about half to 2/3 of the whole head), minced
3 cans of beans (I sometimes go with dry beans, but typically save the time. I like Northern/Navy beans, Kidney OR Pinto beans, and black eyed peas, but whatever you like will work)
1/4 cup of sugar (I pretty much use unprocessed cane sugar for anything and everything)
3 or 4 jalapenos, diced or chopped
2 to 4 habaneros, diced or chopped
3 or 4 serranos, diced or chopped
3 or 4 red chilis (I often actually use purplish thai chilis), diced or chopped
3 or 4 scotch bonnets, or another not as spicy chili like anaheim or whatever , diced or chopped
chili powder
cayenne pepper
salt (I like kosher)
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
cilantro

The chili:

In a large skillet, brown the beef with the onions and minced garlic. If you lack a large enough skillet, 1 lb of the beef at a time with half of the garlic and half of the onion would work, I used to have to do this. When most of the pink is now brown, add 4 Tbsp of chili powder (2 if browning half at a time), 10 to 15 shakes of cayenne, and 2 tsp of salt, total (i.e. half of this per pound of browning meat). When the meat is completely browned, dump it (and ALL the yummy juices) into a large crockpot. Add the beans, half of the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and the peppers (dice to the size you prefer, if you are worried about the heat, devein and remove the seeds first, you big wuss!*). Add another 2 Tbsp or so of chili powder (to your taste actually) and more salt (again, to taste).

I then add half a bunch of the cilantro (not cut or chopped, easier to remove later this way) and cook on high (depending on your crockpot of course) 5 to 6 hours, UNCOVERED (to aid in thickening and concentrating the flavors, think "steeping" ;)) For the last half an hour, but NO MORE, add in the remainder of the tomatoes (the ones you just cooked have disintergrated, leaving only the skins behind).

In the end, I will add some water, if necessary, to get the thick consistency I prefer. Alternately you could cook covered for 3 or 4 hours, but it may end up thin for your taste. Remove the cilantro and serve. I like mine with fresh chopped onion (white or red) and more diced fresh jalapenos, and a good amount of diced fresh cilantro. Some like cheese, crackers, even pasta noodles (Yankee alert!) in theirs. Whatever you want.

And of course, like any complex ejuice, steeping, this time in the fridge or freezer, for 2 or three days makes it that much better.

*If you don't like REAL hot chili, leave out the habaneros, and cut in half the amount of remaining hot chili peppers you add to yours.

Enjoy!

This recipe has already played out in my head as I was reading it.. Oh, this will be good!!

Question: I've had Texas style chili at a Mexican restaurant here in Toronto, and they have the meat cut into cubes which must have started off about an inch to inch and half (think stewing beef cubes). The whole concoction is then topped with cheese and served either with nachos or tortillas. I just assumed that it was a quirky way of making chili by not using ground beef, but here you are using ground beef. So, which is right? Your way or Hernandos Hideaway in Toronto?

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
This recipe has already played out in my head as I was reading it.. Oh, this will be good!!

Question: I've had Texas style chili at a Mexican restaurant here in Toronto, and they have the meat cut into cubes which must have started off about an inch to inch and half (think stewing beef cubes). The whole concoction is then topped with cheese and served either with nachos or tortillas. I just assumed that it was a quirky way of making chili by not using ground beef, but here you are using ground beef. So, which is right? Your way or Hernandos Hideaway in Toronto?

I've seen both, the ground beef style is what I grew up with from a father from the heart of Texas. I have seen many recipes using cubed beef, steak, even burnt ends so really it's your choice. However, I've had both types, and fro me, the flavor of the juices that impart the chili using ground sirloin at like 80/20 or even 85/15 fat to lean ratios are better. Try the recipe both ways and decide for yourself of course, as SOMEONE, somewhere, ONCE said, taste is subjective! ;) oh and YMMV.

Oh and the tortillas and cheese bit is probably more SW Texas style, where Tex Mex originated!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
This recipe is killer!!!! I think it came from my Grandma Lou's Grandma because it's older than dirt. I use buttermilk. Good with sweet butter lathered on it.

Grandma Louise Nut Bread

3 cups flour
2 cups sour or buttermilk
10 cents worth of nuts (about 2 cups) – pecans work.
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda

Mix flour and sugar then milk and soda. Mix the nuts with some flour. Let stand 20 – 30 minutes or more (important). Throw nuts in. Bake in bread pan, 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Caramel Popcorn

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 cups brown sugar (packed)
½ cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 quarts popped popcorn

Preheat Oven to 250 degrees F. Place popcorn in a very large bowl.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.

Place in two large shallow baking dishes (or pans) and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread