Favourite Recipes - Food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I haven't tried this one yet, but I'd like to - if I can talk Mrs. Chak into it.

Pad Thai Popcorn

Dry Ingredients
½ cup popping corn kernels (roughly 8 cups prepared popcorn)
1 cup finely chopped dry-roasted, salted peanuts, or almonds
¼ cup chopped cilantro = pak chi (add later)

Caramel sauce:
½ cup palm sugar
½ cup corn syrup
4 oz butter
2 or 3 tsp fresh lime juice
1 ½ tbsp freshly grated lime zest (grated lime peel only green part)
1 - 2 tbsp Asian fish sauce (fyi, if you don't use fish sauce, you'll have to add salt)
1 rounded tbsp Sambal red chili sauce, or very finely diced fresh hot chilies
½ tsp baking soda (not baking powder)

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Coat a cookie sheet with oil or a silicone baking mat.
Heat ¼ cup vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add popcorn; cover and cook, shaking often, until fully popped, about 5 minutes. Transfer popcorn to a large bowl with a strainer or your hands, leaving unpopped kernels in the bowl. Stir in chopped peanuts.
Combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add lime juice and fish sauce. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly stir in chili, lime zest, and baking soda. Pour over popcorn, stirring to coat. Transfer popcorn to the prepared cookie sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven, tossing every 10 to 15 minutes, until browned and sticky, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool and become crispy. Toss with cilantro before serving.

Last edited:

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
. . . Toss with cilantro before serving.

You had me Chak until that last line. I'm one of those people who despises cilantro. It tastes like dish soap to me.

I've heard that the vast majority of people love cilantro, but the ones that don't really despise it. That would be me.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
You had me Chak until that last line. I'm one of those people who despises cilantro. It tastes like dish soap to me.

I've heard that the vast majority of people love cilantro, but the ones that don't really despise it. That would be me.

I don't care for it raw, but in a soup it's ok. I think it's mainly added here for a splash of color. If you don't like it just leave it out. ;) Problem solved. :D

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Easy Lamb Stroganoff

1 lb lamb cubed
1 Tsp Butter (margarine doesnt work as well)
1/2 a white onion diced fine
Egg Noodles
16oz Sour Cream

Brown Lamb in skillet over medium heat, adding butter and salt and pepper to taste.
Boil Egg Noodles for 11 minutes or until tender
Strain
Add diced onions to skillet, stirring occasionally until they caramelize
Add 16oz of Sour Cream directly to skillet...stir.... and pour mixture over cooked and strained noodles.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Easy Lamb Stroganoff

1 lb lamb cubed
1 Tsp Butter (margarine doesnt work as well)
1/2 a white onion diced fine
Egg Noodles
16oz Sour Cream

Brown Lamb in skillet over medium heat, adding butter and salt and pepper to taste.
Boil Egg Noodles for 11 minutes or until tender
Strain
Add diced onions to skillet, stirring occasionally until they caramelize
Add 16oz of Sour Cream directly to skillet...stir.... and pour mixture over cooked and strained noodles.

Enjoy :)

I'm hungry too!!! Yum.
Mom's Stroganoff had a can of creamed mushroom soup too. And yes, beef too.

Last edited:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
These are easy, Dusty...

1 can of crushed pineapple
1 lime
1 bunch of cilantro
pinch of salt
Tear the leaves off of the cilantro and toss the stems. Blend up all these yummy ingredients together and pour into popsicle molds.

Are we supposed to blend these with crushed ice, or just by themselves? How many popsicles do you get out of one can?

Sweet and sour..with the cilantro bringing up the center. Interesting! This is going to be like one of those sour gummies isn't it?

The girls are going to LOVE it.. and, I'm not talking about just mine!

Thanks April. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread