Favourite Recipes - Food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Question: How to keep popped corn fresh and crispy for more than a day?

After we coat our popcorn with caramel, we let it cool to room temp. on cookie sheets, then put it into airtight containers, or ziplock bags, but even so it still gets soft just a couple hours after putting it away.

We've tried baking the caramel corn at low temp. (250˚ F) in the oven for 30 an hour to 45 min. stirring every 10-15 min. All to no avail!!! Frustrated!! :glare:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca

After we coat our popcorn with caramel, we let it cool to room temp. on cookie sheets, then put it into airtight containers, or ziplock bags, but even so it still gets soft just a couple hours after putting it away.

We've tried baking the caramel corn at low temp. (250˚ F) in the oven for 30 an hour to 45 min. stirring every 10-15 min. All to no avail!!! Frustrated!! :glare:

What do you do with them once you put them in the zip-lock bags?! Do you Freeze them, or just let them sit out? Freezing the bags is supposed to help keep the popcorn fresh.

TheAngryBovine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Oldsmar, Fl
Pappy:9439467 said:
. . . Toss with cilantro before serving.

You had me Chak until that last line. I'm one of those people who despises cilantro. It tastes like dish soap to me.

I've heard that the vast majority of people love cilantro, but the ones that don't really despise it. That would be me.
That's actually genetic. I read a study a year or so ago (don't ask for a reference) about people who like cilantro vs. people who think it tastes like soap... Me... I've learned to love it, but it still tastes like soap.

TheAngryBovine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Oldsmar, Fl
Ok, this dish won me awards...
Gal. water. Lemon halfed and squeezed. 2 bay leaf. Tbsp redfish magic. Boil. Pour over a whole lobster. 10 minutes. Pull lobo... Clean body, legs, leave tail on shell... Risotto cooked in duck or chicken stock. Add body/leg meat and handful roquette, pistachios. White truffle oil, heavy cream, asiago and s+p to taste. Poach tail til just barely cooked in salted butter. Split and pull tail out of shell but still connected at rear fin, serve over risotto.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
What do you do with them once you put them in the zip-lock bags?! Do you Freeze them, or just let them sit out? Freezing the bags is supposed to help keep the popcorn fresh.

I'll try that, Dusty, thanks. We usually just leave the bags out. I'm thinking it just may be that Thailand is too dang humid this time of year for caramel corn. :facepalm:

76bridget

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Meant to share this last week but didn't get the chance.. So here it is.

Cinco De Mayo

2 cups shredded chicken breast
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use greek)
1/4 cup light mayo
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbs tobasco sauce
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions

I love this for lunch on wheat cracker chips but would be good also rolled up in a tortilla. I toss my carrots, cilantro and peppers in the mini-chopper to make it easier. Also about 3 small to med chicken breasts seem to make about 2 cups. I pan cook my chicken on low until done, cut into chunks, then toss in the kitchen aid mixer to shred while warm. I refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before diving in..

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Meant to share this last week but didn't get the chance.. So here it is.

Cinco De Mayo

2 cups shredded chicken breast
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use greek)
1/4 cup light mayo
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbs tobasco sauce
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions

I love this for lunch on wheat cracker chips but would be good also rolled up in a tortilla. I toss my carrots, cilantro and peppers in the mini-chopper to make it easier. Also about 3 small to med chicken breasts seem to make about 2 cups. I pan cook my chicken on low until done, cut into chunks, then toss in the kitchen aid mixer to shred while warm. I refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before diving in..

This sounds a lot like what we do except we leave out the carrots, and substitute SriRacha hot sauce instead of the Tobasco. Works well with Tuna too! :)

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Green Chutney

1 bunch of coriander leaves (stems removed) - approximately 2 cups
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/4 small onion roughly chopped
1/2" fresh ginger
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
2 green chilies
2 lemons juiced (add juice from one lemon at a time to desired flavour)
salt to taste

Blend ingredients together to thick paste. Use as dipping sauce or as a spread on buttered bread.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Green Chutney

1 bunch of coriander leaves (stems removed) - approximately 2 cups
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/4 small onion roughly chopped
1/2" fresh ginger
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
2 green chilies
2 lemons juiced (add juice from one lemon at a time to desired flavour)
salt to taste

Blend ingredients together to thick paste. Use as dipping sauce or as a spread on buttered bread.

Wow, I had a cloud of dust come out my monitor when I pulled up this thread.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
INGREDIENTS

strong bread flour (500g)
warm water (approx. 300ml of warm water)
1 sachet of dried yeast (7g)
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 heaped tsp salt
2 tbsp of sun-dried tomato purée (or tomato paste)
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, or 1 tbsp of dried rosemary
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
mayonnaise (200g)
handful of fresh basil
1 lemon
20 rashers of bacon
4 plum tomatoes
handful of mustard cress
1 little gem lettuce
a ball of mozzarella

RECIPE

Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar and salt.
Mix the yeast with 100ml of warm water until it forms a smooth liquid.
Add the yeast to the flour and add the rest of the water a little at a time until it forms a dough, you may not need all the water.
Knead the dough for about 5-10 minutes on a surface until its silky soft and elastic or in a machine with a dough hook.
Dust a bowl with flour and place the dough inside, cover with Clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about an hour until the dough doubles in size.

Squeeze in the tomato purée, chop the rosemary and crush garlic, then add to the risen bread and knead again until well combined.
Press the dough into one large oblong loaf shape and place onto a floured baking tray then leave to prove again for another hour.

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the loaf in the oven for 30 minutes until the loaf is cooked inside and the bread sounds hollow when tapped from underneath, then leave to cool on a wire rack.

Lay the bacon onto a grill tray and cook under a medium heat for a couple of minutes before turning the rashers and repeating on the other side.
In a blender mix the mayonnaise up with the fresh chopped basil and zest of a lemon until smooth and green.
Quarter the tomatoes, remove the pulp and seeds (optional) and cut into a small dice.
Slice the bread into 8 doorstep slices and toast one side of each slice.
Smother the untoasted halves in basil mayo, scatter with cress, ripped up little gem leaves and tomato pieces.
Stack the hot crispy bacon on top and lay thin slices of mozzarella on top to begin to melt.
Finish with another slice of half toasted bread with more mayo and serve.

Makes 1 loaf and 4 sandwiches

Tom/Gar/Rosemary Bread by Chakris1, on Flickr

Ultimate BLT by Chakris1, on Flickr

Credit Where Credit due:

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
PAPAW'S HOLIDAY HAM

1 Real Ham (unglazed, uncut)
1 small can Pineapple Slices (in water)
1/2 small jar Maraschino Cherries

Remove as much of outer fat from ham as can be easily removed. Set ham, flat side down, into large crock pot. Add just enough water to keep crock pot from drying out. Place pineapple slices onto sides of ham, and add cherries onto ham/ into water.
Cooking times may vary due to size/ power of crock pot. Try 1 hour on high, 2- 3 hours on low. cook until done.
Slice thin and serve. Remaining ham great for sandwiches and breakfast meats.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

the store bought stuff has the caramel sprayed onto it with a paint sprayer... I saw that operation at one of the food companies we had to visit for an Intralox ( company I worked for) field trip...

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
PAPAW'S HOLIDAY HAM

1 Real Ham (unglazed, uncut)
1 small can Pineapple Slices (in water)
1/2 small jar Maraschino Cherries

Remove as much of outer fat from ham as can be easily removed. Set ham, flat side down, into large crock pot. Add just enough water to keep crock pot from drying out. Place pineapple slices onto sides of ham, and add cherries onto ham/ into water.
Cooking times may vary due to size/ power of crock pot. Try 1 hour on high, 2- 3 hours on low. cook until done.
Slice thin and serve. Remaining ham great for sandwiches and breakfast meats.

Papaw try subbing out the water in the crock pot with a bottle of good root beer , I know you like your sweets , that should be right up your alley . :)

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
the store bought stuff has the caramel sprayed onto it with a paint sprayer... I saw that operation at one of the food companies we had to visit for an Intralox ( company I worked for) field trip...

Thanks, BK. We find that putting a silica bag in each package and then freezing keeps it nice and crunchy for a long time. :toast:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread