FDA delivers Final Deeming Rule to OIRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
lol Yep, AND just after the other study proved just the opposite. The sciencedirect thread by SJ.
I wouldn't say "proved just the opposite" - but it certainly made the case for no existing detectable gateway effect - which is now explicitly stated by UK gov.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Leaked FDA industry guidance to ecig manufacturers. If this is for real, we're doomed. Read the part that says even zero-nicotine eliquid would be classified as "tobacco"

Not that this is a surprise but reading through that, specifically the Summary of Research section, basically EVERYTHING is gone, it'll even crush the BT ciga-likes, at some point even the big boys will lose interest in jumping though hoops for a semi-limited market.

Its actually scary how well they've buttoned up everything, i mean, my god, an atomizer would have to be tested for aerosol particle size throughout its ENTIRE operating/draw range.

Detailed descriptions of how a mods software 'increases/decreases the risk profile'. Seriously?

A mod/tank combo looks like it would need about 50-75 'studies' before it is even able to be brought to market.

I knew it would be bad but if this goes through as is, it truly is the end of vaping, and those who see that as fear-mongering are just plain ignorant.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I knew it would be bad but if this goes through as is, it truly is the end of vaping, and those who see that as fear-mongering are just plain ignorant.

It is worse than I anticipated. As it includes eLiquid, and if a de facto ban is a result, then the 99.5% is (way way way) conservative of a number, given there are way way way more flavors than all other product types combined.

At same time, the genie is out of the bottle. The legal market will take the hit, and that assumes zero law suits and no political fight over it. But to think an underground market / DIY won't flourish is (as you said) just plain ignorant.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I would like to know where the "leaked" document came from. Mr. DmA posted it I think and noted "if this is for real......."

Yet,

It is interesting to me that nobody has even asked. o_O

It is interesting to me that nobody has even set out to determine the veracity of this leaked document. Or where it came from.

Interesting because on this forum, we members will argue down a mean cornered bear over the slightest thing........yet, nobody even QUESTIONED where this document came from, first appeared, etc.

To me, that is sort of a shame.

yet it's intellectual dishonesty to post a photo of a blown up ecig because everyone WILL say it was photoshopped, etc.

Just sayin' *usually* there is some notion to verify things that are posted......verify the contents as well as verify where it came from.

There must've been 100+ responses to a popular vendor has test results posted on ejuice.....ripping it apart.

Yet.....total silence on this document. Hmmmm............nobody EVEN ASKED.

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
What I think is a shame is this assumption that the white house is just going to rubber-stamp whatever nonsense the FDA dishes up. If that was true, then why bother submitting it at all? Because it's the law? Hell, those idjits MAKE the law, I'm sure they could do away with it if they felt so inclined; they've been whittling away at our constitutional rights for a couple centuries now, it would be no biggie.

I just want to know how much more of the Constitution has to be trampled before we finally rise up and tell them WE'RE MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Andria

I think this is something the pro-vape advocates in the front lines have been asking for years now because let's face it only a small minority have become directly involved in this fight and many of them not until it jumped up and bit them in their own back yard and/or threatened their pocketbook.... rather amazing given how long this has been going on (at all levels of government) the shock and horror just now being expressed in the final hours.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So what they submitted isn't spring 2015?
I believe that was April's submission, prior to public comment. I don't believe they have to make the Final available to the public until after it is approved by OMB/OIRA, but could be wrong.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
It's kinda Amazing, at least to Me, that a thread about Cotton ...
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...n-is-white-so-why-japanese-cotton-not.708776/
... has Twice as many Posts as this one does.

I guess How White cotton is, or Should Be, is More topical that the current state of the FDA Deeming process.

It's interesting to me how few post there have been around ECF on the topic since it got delivered to the OBM. I think there's an awful lot of folks that don't realize how close this brings us to actually having a Deeming Order in place. :(

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There are 9 steps in the rule making process to the Deeming Order and step 8 was taken this week. I guess it all depends on how one defines newsworthy, but in my world that is newsworthy. Certainly no where near as big of news as step 9 is going to be, but never-the-less still newsworthy.
Okay, newsworthy, but not necessarily actionable. For now it seems like the best bet is still the Cole bill. I've already broadcast that CTA a number of times.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
To me putting nic in the freezer is the same as house, medical and car insurance. Those three are thousands of dollars a year. 3 bottles of nic for $150 is a decade of protection and dirt cheap.

I did some more figuring. Starting with nothing I could spend $300 up front and be self sufficient for 3 years except, perhaps, batteries. In that same time I could spend $9,000 on cigarettes, a carton a week in Michigan. Vaping isn't cheap, it's free if you want it to be. This gigantic disparity in cost and the ease of DIY severely complicates control, taxation, etc. Health issues will be debated ad nauseam. The economics not debatable. I believe more people around the world will switch to save money than to protect their health. Lots of people have lots of money in the US so may be the economic advantage is not so obvioius.

Some more numbers. If 1.3 billions smokers are spending $800 billion a year that's about $600 per smoker. If they all switched to vaping and spent $100 each per year the vape market would be $130 billion and that lower amount includes no excise taxes, which would be hard to collect anyway. This is what obsesses our dear governments, not our health.

Yeah... Have you seen the threads around here about how vaping costs more than smoking? Only to a person incapable of exercising restraint over the "shinyitis" bug -- for anyone with a grown-up approach to spending money, vaping is LOADS cheaper. Sure, I *COULD* spend a whole lot... but why? The setup I use now is absolutely perfect, I have no need to keep buying tons of crap just because it's shiny. Providing Innokin is still with us next year, I'll grab another couple of coolfire4's, just because I try to buy a few new mods every year as a hedge against electronics-death -- but so far, every one I've bought still works. :D

Andria

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
To me putting nic in the freezer is the same as house, medical and car insurance. Those three are thousands of dollars a year. 3 bottles of nic for $150 is a decade of protection and dirt cheap.

I did some more figuring. Starting with nothing I could spend $300 up front and be self sufficient for 3 years except, perhaps, batteries. In that same time I could spend $9,000 on cigarettes, a carton a week in Michigan. Vaping isn't cheap, it's free. Health issues will be debated ad nauseam. The economics are not debatable. I believe more people around the world will switch to save money than to protect their health. Lots of people have lots of money in the US so may be the economic advantage is not so obvioius.

Some more numbers. If 1.3 billions smokers are spending $800 billion a year that's about $600 per smoker. If they all switched to vaping and spent $100 per year the vape market would be $130 billion, an amount that includes no excise taxes, which would be hard to collect. This is what obsesses our dear governments, not our health.

Yeah... Have you seen the threads around here about how vaping costs more than smoking? Only to a person incapable of exercising restraint over the "shinyitis" bug -- for anyone with a grown-up approach to spending money, vaping is LOADS cheaper. Sure, I *COULD* spend a whole lot... but why? The setup I use now is absolutely perfect, I have no need to keep buying tons of crap just because it's shiny. Providing Innokin is still with us next year, I'll grab another couple of coolfire4's, just because I try to buy a few new mods every year as a hedge against electronics-death -- but so far, every one I've bought still works. :D

Andria
This is the double edged sword of vaping though. I vape on the cheap. I don't DIY but even without that I only spend a few hundred annually on gear AND juice. It is incredibly difficult to have a growth industry when people don't have to buy stuff. Yes you can DIY for pennies a day, but if everyone did that, what would happen to the juice vendors that provide for the newbies and those who don't want to DIY? It's great that vaping on the cheap is an option, I just hope, for the sake of the industry, that most people find a balance.

Of course, if the industry gets regulated down to pre-filled carts/tanks, the DIY market will explode.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Listen up folks, lets keep the chatter about how many liters of liquid you have in the deep freeze out of this thread. This isn't about you, this is about the 40 plus million folks who still smoke, and if the deeming is a bad as originally advertised that number will essentially remain unchanged.

I agree that those are the folks who will suffer most, but I don't think the number of them will remain unchanged; the changeover from tobacco to vapor may happen a lot more slowly than it has been happening so far, but as long as there are some of us out there vaping, *visibly*, it won't be truly dead -- and when we don't get sick and die as all the ANTZ have sworn that we will, it will be noticed -- and public pressure *can* cause changes to occur.

And also there's the fact of the black market -- many of us with a surplus in the freezer will be willing to underwrite friends who want to switch, so the freezer surplus isn't truly irrelevant.

Andria

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I used to read the calls to action then proposed legislation. There's usually a disconnect between the proposals and their summaries and 'attention grabbing' titles and summaries. How can an 'advocacy' group be taken seriously when they use fear and sensationalism?
I hear the ANTS operate covertly and lurk around every corner...
You are going to have to be more specific Steve instead of making more vague accusations. I have kept up on the calls to action and I have seen none of the sensationalism you are accusing CASAA of doing. You need to give specific examples if you expect anyone to take you serious.

Of course I see you are still pushing the idea that we are all just addiction driven paranoids. Do you really want to go down that road Steve. A lot of what you are saying is straight out of the anti's playbook. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it probably is a duck. So far you are attacking essentially all of the legitimate THR advocates, accusing people of being addiction driven paranoids, and telling us flat out lies about the deeming regulation.

I have no idea of what your agenda is but it doesn't look good.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
If nicotine weren't addictive, there wouldn't be hoarding based on fear of loss of supply...

Did you not see what happened when Hostess shut down? Talk about hoarding, not a Twinkie to be found anywhere lol! Now that was a fear of loss of supply. You're gonna have to do better than that Stevo.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
You can't buy DIY stuff or hardware in 3rd world countries for what you can in the US, so it ends up being more expensive. There's also having to have a computer and credit card to order, As shops are few and far between...
Now you are being argumentative. Supply chains for consumers can be established just as they are for tobacco. Pilot projects that study how to speed up the process could be pursued by entities like the Gates Foundation if they were interested. The extreme cost advantage of ecigs is a huge help. That will be discovered over time. Demand will grow. Entrepreneurs will gear up to meet demand. This will happen every where there is smoking. The issue is how fast it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread