Feeling a Little Discouraged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
Hi All,

I use to be here a lot when I first stopped smoking and started vaping. It has been 2 years and 2 months without even one cig!! I smoked for 40 years and was smoking 2 and half packs a day the last so many years.

I guess I just stopped in here for a little encouragement. Hell, maybe I could even offer a little encouragement :) I have friends who still smoke and I smell it. Other people see me vap and always have an opinion (not that I ask for it). It just gets me a little down.

I guess some of the newness of vaping has worn off and I am a little worried that I might go back to smoking somehow.

Maybe we could just start a positive thread. Anyway, it's good to be back here.

Dan

PS Can anyone recommend a good cig and money counter program? I got a new pc laptop and I don't remember the program I used before. Oh, I got a new laptop because I save about $3000 a year not smoking.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I know what it's like to have the newness of vaping wear off but when that happens I browse new gear and daydream, it works for me. I also am into mixing and am always on the hunt for new recipes, kinda keeps it alive.

Other than that, I use an app called smoke free which tracks how many cigarettes not smoked and money saved. It's a stop smoking app, probably better ones out there geared towards just saving money.

Congrats on the laptop!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Good to see you and forget those fools...everytime I wonder these things, I think of a couple important factors, the first is my health. I smoked 1.5 pad for over 30 years and I was definitely feeling it, I coughed every morning and when I got sick, I coughed for weeks. Now all of that is completely gone, I mean all of it, period. ..another thing is I don't smell, so I get more accounts, and I'm saving money....that's all I need to know that I'm doing the right thing and those people can kiss my feet
Hi All,

I use to be here a lot when I first stopped smoking and started vaping. It has been 2 years and 2 months without even one cig!! I smoked for 40 years and was smoking 2 and half packs a day the last so many years.

I guess I just stopped in here for a little encouragement. Hell, maybe I could even offer a little encouragement :) I have friends who still smoke and I smell it. Other people see me vap and always have an opinion (not that I ask for it). It just gets me a little down.

I guess some of the newness of vaping has worn off and I am a little worried that I might go back to smoking somehow.

Maybe we could just start a positive thread. Anyway, it's good to be back here.

Dan

PS Can anyone recommend a good cig and money counter program? I got a new pc laptop and I don't remember the program I used before. Oh, I got a new laptop because I save about $3000 a year not smoking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dan40

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2016
I knew I came to the right place :) I am getting ready to put in a small order for some supplies. This is how I have been vaping for the past 2 plus years.

I keep it very basic. I have 4 isticks (always go out with a backup). I use 1.8 resistance with no sub-om MTL.

I mix my own. I used a flavor in the beginning but after a while I just became accustom to 50/50 mix with no flavor. I started at 18mg nic, then after a year 15mg and now I am at 12mg nic.

I am thinking I might like to try something new but the way I vap (sometimes stealth) big clouds and chocolate doughnut flavor doesn't sound like a good idea.

Any ideas?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I knew I came to the right place :) I am getting ready to put in a small order for some supplies. This is how I have been vaping for the past 2 plus years.

I keep it very basic. I have 4 isticks (always go out with a backup). I use 1.8 resistance with no sub-om MTL.

I mix my own. I used a flavor in the beginning but after a while I just became accustom to 50/50 mix with no flavor. I started at 18mg nic, then after a year 15mg and now I am at 12mg nic.

I am thinking I might like to try something new but the way I vap (sometimes stealth) big clouds and chocolate doughnut flavor doesn't sound like a good idea.

Any ideas?
What tank do you vape?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA

Any ideas?

Congrats on staying away from analogs! Continue to ignore the peanut gallery while doing your own thing.

Not sure what kind of suggestions you're looking for; ie. hardware, liquid, etc.

After diving in head first and spending a lot of cash initially, nowadays I keep things simple too. DIY unflavored e-liquid (90% VG, 10% DW) @ 8mg. RTAs w/ SS, round wire, single coil builds. Mostly MTL around 15W. I spent less than $100 total on vaping in 2017. The savings can be real. I spend very little time thinking about vaping anymore. It simply keeps me from not smoking.

Occasionally, I feel the need to shake things up a bit too. When this happens, I can try multiple things. Sometimes I'll simply open my RTA up and do some restricted DTL hits. If it's a flavoring thing, I'll reach for simple one-note flavorings, kinda like popping a piece of hard candy or gum in my mouth. Sometimes I'll drip a couple of drops in my atty before filling. Sometimes I'll mix up a 30ml bottle of flavored. I've personally never gone through more than 30ml before going back to unflavored.

We have a super advantage. Being used to unflavored e-liquid, it doesn't take much flavoring (1-3%) to kick things up a notch. Single-note flavorings also tend to come through better at lower %s than fancy recipes. Some suggestions might be cinnamon red hot (TFA or FW) or doublemint (FW) type flavorings. I'm sure you're aware that many flavorings are available in 10ml bottles for < $1.50. 10ml bottles go a long way for me. Hit up a place like Bull City, that carries a wide variety of flavorings and browse the offerings.

If it's a shinyitis/hardware solution you're looking for, check out some of the bigger YouTubers and watch reviews. There is an increasing number of MTL attys (clearos, RTAs & RDAs) on the market, not to mention the refillable pod mods. Maybe an inexpensive new setup just for "lazyboy use" is an answer. Something like a VTC Mini and Ammit MTL RDA or Siren 2 RTA, 10' of 26ga SS 316, some cotton or rayon and an 18650 or two might be the trick (far under $100). Maybe just a new Nautilus Mini (a denser, fuller vape than your K1s) on one of your iSticks would change things up enough for you.

More specific questions might help us answer you better, with much shorter replies.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
HeyDan, the newness wore off for me about two years in as well, know what I did? Keep On Keepin On! Been DIYing for about 4-1/2 years now, mostly vape no flavor, and mix it up with a little tobaccco flavoring from time to time...I realized for my life that it was truly working, was when it became something I just did, without really any thought about it one way or the other. I suggest, don't overthink this, and just
Keep On Keepin On!
All the best to you!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Other people see me vap and always have an opinion (not that I ask for it). It just gets me a little down.

Learn to ignore them. Never let the uninformed nonsensical opinions of others get to you.

Oh, I got a new laptop because I save about $3000 a year not smoking.

I think you answered your own concern without realizing it. Anytime you feel that you might go back to smoking, look at that laptop and ask yourself if you would rather have cancer OR more new electronics, TV's, cars, etc.? I feel the answer will be clear.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Aspire K1 Tank. It is very basic but it doesn't leak and it doesn't flood. Any thoughts?

Have them and love them. Isticks, too. They are my out and about stealth gear. And I have some bigger, cloudier stuff too, but I still love my little vapes.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome back and 'grats on 2 years. I'm coming up on 4 years, and while I have changed my 'hardware' and 'software' a bit, I haven't changed my setups a whole lot. I started with an eGo battery and CE4 clearo, briefly used 2 VV eGo type batts, and now I have 3 regs and 1 mech. I have 3 RTA's and 2 clearo's. I use the RTA's more often than the clearo's. All of my tanks are close to the same resistance, in the high 1's to the low 2's ohm range. I buy a pre-mixed liter of PG/VG/nic (75/25/24mg) and add in 2 flavors to that. I put 100 or so mg's into a smaller bottle, one of the bottles will have just the base in it and another will have the base with the flavors added. Those smaller bottle are 125mg and from one of those I fill up a 15mg plastic unicorn bottle that I fill whatever tank I'm using at the time. Every once in a while I'll buy a bottle of 'premium' juice, and 9 out of 10 times that ends up being mixed with the base liquid to dilute the flavor down. As for the 'cig and money' program, I had to write my own so I could fine tune it to my liking. It's just a PHP script (the link is in my sig, take a look if you want to laugh at my hideous programming skills), and some parts of the page it creates are outdated and some parts actually work right and are pretty accurate. The fact that I don't smoke cigarettes, and haven't wanted to, keeps me a happy vaper. The fact that my mods and tanks are probably in the 'dinosaur era' to young vapers and that I don't sub-ohm or blow huge clouds or any negative comments from smokers/non-smokers/vapers have no impact on me at all.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I use to be here a lot when I first stopped smoking and started vaping. It has been 2 years and 2 months without even one cig!!

I remember very well when you first came to ECF and were starting to vape. 2 years and 2 months already...with no smokes...time flies, doesn't it? Congratulations!

You have every right to be proud of that accomplishment. I wouldn't pay any attention to negative opinions about vaping...from friends or other people. What the heck do they actually know from personal experience, about vaping...if they're not vapers? Chances are, they're getting their "supposed knowledge" that helps form their opinions...from media stories.

I'd recommend that you do what you know is best for you, based on the past 2 years and 2 months...health-wise, money-wise, etc. Also, come back here for encouragement anytime. You know we're all behind you 100%. :thumbs:

Dan40

ECF Veteran
    May 27, 2016
    I remember very well when you first came to ECF and were starting to vape. 2 years and 2 months already...with no smokes...time flies, doesn't it? Congratulations!

You have every right to be proud of that accomplishment. I wouldn't pay any attention to negative opinions about vaping...from friends or other people. What the heck do they actually know from personal experience, about vaping...if they're not vapers? Chances are, they're getting their "supposed knowledge" that helps form their opinions...from media stories.

I'd recommend that you do what you know is best for you, based on the past 2 years and 2 months...health-wise, money-wise, etc. Also, come back here for encouragement anytime. You know we're all behind you 100%. :thumbs:
    Thanks, you helped me a lot with all my questions in the beginning.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2014
    central Virginia
    I am positive that of you don't believe the lie that 1 won't hurt, you'll never go back to smoking..
    Being a vaper after this long is no longer just what you do. It's a part of who you are. You used to be a smoker. That was not just what you did but part of who you were. Who we are determines what we do more than what we do determines who we are. You're free of tobacco. You're free of putting money into the coffers of big tobacco. Freedom is an action based on who we are. Next time you get the comment just sing "I'm free to do what I want, be who I am" to yourself or out loud to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread