Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I agree with your second point, spamming may cause more problems. However, at this point in the game, doing little or nothing at all is more counterproductive. I'd rather hedge my bets and maximize my influence.

As for your first point, the website is indeed unencrypted, but the information being gathered doesn't necessarily have to be identifying. There are many ways to mitigate risk from using an unencrypted connection, such as:

- Using your initials or an alias instead of your full name.
- Using a throwaway email, or one that has been previously set up with bunk information.
- Adding or subtracting 1-3 years from your age to provide accurate age group data, but not specific age.
- Only inputting the bare minimum information, and not volunteering any identifying data.
- Utilizing user side privacy to guard your IP.

To be honest, if someone isn't using at least half of the above suggestions, then perhaps they shouldn't be on the net in the first place.

Yes, but basically if you're just going to lie about just about everything what's the point in submitting anything at all? Either way I still think the website has the best intentions in the world but was rushed and poorly executed, I'm not at all saying the website has bad intentions in any way.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
KODIAK™;13386761 said:
How can it be a "stupid" thing to do... politically or otherwise?

Seriously. I've never seen so many people, all wanting the same thing be so wary of each other's motives. Who cares... as long as this canoe gets paddled in the same general direction? :)

Please note that I didn't take sides on this. That being said, the concern that presenting the FDA with comments they didn't ask for, might back-fire is a valid point. It might. On the other hand, it might be a great way to show that there are many regular people this will negatively impact. Also a valid point. I said the discussion is worth having. I'm not wary of anyone's motives. Given the fact that these and possible future regulations could be bad for the vaping community, I don't see any problem with a call for discussion about what might serve us or what might not serve us very well. Personally, I'm kind of on the fence about it. No harm in having a discussion.

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
Yes, but basically if you're just going to lie about just about everything what's the point in submitting anything at all? Either way I still think the website has the best intentions in the world but was rushed and poorly executed, I'm not at all saying the website has bad intentions in any way.

Fair enough. :)

bstock

Jun 10, 2014
Easton, MD. USA
Hi everyone :)

Whew... finally got those 5 posts out of the way... so I could get on here and talk with you lol ;)

As one of the creators of FreeToVape - I wanted you to know we heard you... and we have added and done the stuff you were concerned with and were talking about here.

The SSL encryption of the Take Action page, and the Privacy Policy page have been mentioned already... cool.

We have taken the whois privacy protection off of the domain name also. We have listed ourselves as the designers. We also added an About Us page, so you can learn more about why we did this, and who did this.

We truly were not trying to be secretive there. We thought that the cause/ message was the most important aspect of the website, and by adding more content into that about us... would detract the user from the goal. Boy were we wrong!! Big mistake!! ;) :)

What questions can I address and/or answer for you? Am hoping to clear up any confusion or concerns you may have, the best I can.

Thanks!
Brent

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Took my time and went through the site.
Thanks for the revisions.

Did the submission and told my story.
I Must comment - while I feel there needs to be standards for e-liquids, I hate the Idea of the FDA getting any control over it. I can only see them using it as a means to dictate their choices to us and making things unnecessarily costly for the producers and consumer.

Last edited:

iz2sick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Burbs of Detroit
Thanks for the support ladies and gents!

I understand why some of you have reservations about this. But here is my opinion...

I don't personally feel comfortable with focusing all my efforts on CASAA alone. I think that is a bad idea and the age old saying, "Don't put all your eggs into one basket." describes my feelings perfectly. I support both CASAA and FreeToVape.

And not to bash CASAA, but they need to be a little more transparent. Their intentions aren't really made clear unless you do a lot of digging and even then, you have to take their word for it. Ideally, CASAA would support and help FreeToVape, but that's not happening. Some of the most important changes in history occurred through movements like the Feminist movement and Million Man March. These groups did not require a board of directors of an organization. They were people getting together to fight for their rights in a civil manner. FreeToVape is just like that, though to a lesser extreme. There's no hierarchy here. FreeToVape is just a simple way for you to voice your opposition to the proposed FDA regulations and to tell your story.

Thanks for your support and as always, Vape Strong and Vape On!

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Hi everyone :)

Whew... finally got those 5 posts out of the way... so I could get on here and talk with you lol ;)

As one of the creators of FreeToVape - I wanted you to know we heard you... and we have added and done the stuff you were concerned with and were talking about here.

The SSL encryption of the Take Action page, and the Privacy Policy page have been mentioned already... cool.

We have taken the whois privacy protection off of the domain name also. We have listed ourselves as the designers. We also added an About Us page, so you can learn more about why we did this, and who did this.

We truly were not trying to be secretive there. We thought that the cause/ message was the most important aspect of the website, and by adding more content into that about us... would detract the user from the goal. Boy were we wrong!! Big mistake!! ;) :)

What questions can I address and/or answer for you? Am hoping to clear up any confusion or concerns you may have, the best I can.

Thanks!
Brent

Nice to meet you Brent, I have a question for you...

Are you guys at all looking to built on top of the current delivery method you have on the site now? I'm only asking because one of my concerns with the site is that you're sending e-faxes via e-mail to lawmakers is this correct? Couldn't they just ban or blacklist the e-mail they're coming from and stop that from working all together?

I'm just curious if there is another plan B, I know I heard something about printing them out and delivering them in person at hearings that's a good step as well but maybe with a little engineering maybe a php script you can have each individual vaper send out the e-fax themselves from their own e-mail directly to the lawmaker.

This also looks alot better since not all the faxes are coming from one place and would be much harder to shut down. Just my 2 cents.

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA

How goes, Brent? :)

If you could go into more detail regarding the process of delivering the entries to their destinations, that'd be grand. I've heard conflicting stories from the reviewers on Youtube, and feel it needs clarifying if these are being faxed, mailed, emailed, or whathaveyou.

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
Are you guys at all looking to built on top of the current delivery method you have on the site now? I'm only asking because one of my concerns with the site is that you're sending e-faxes via e-mail to lawmakers is this correct? Couldn't they just ban or blacklist the e-mail they're coming from and stop that from working all together?

I'm just curious if there is another plan B, I know I heard something about printing them out and delivering them in person at hearings that's a good step as well but maybe with a little engineering maybe a php script you can have each individual vaper send out the e-fax themselves from their own e-mail directly to the lawmaker.

This also looks alot better since not all the faxes are coming from one place and would be much harder to shut down. Just my 2 cents.

+1 for all of this.

bstock

Jun 10, 2014
Easton, MD. USA
Thanks for the questions guys!

We are sending your information the old fashioned way. We felt that would be the most effective, in that there is a real piece of paper in their hands.

For your Congressional Representative, and your Congressional Senators - a real fax is being sent to their fax machines.

For the FDA - we are actually delivering your submission on paper, directly to them on the 9th. We are literally planning on taking into their offices... boxes and boxes of paper submissions.

It is stated on regulations.gov - that delivery by courier is accepted and legal.

We are using a "print on demand" printing service for this. Basically, we provide them a template of what we want it to look like... a spreadsheet of the data - and they sent that to special printers that print each one separately. Pretty cool stuff. :)

If you go to our About Us page - Free to Vape - you can see a PDF of pretty much what the FDA printout will look like (needs a little dressing up still), a PDF of the fax transmitted (that is exactly what it looked like), and a screenshot of the email we get back from the faxing service confirming delivery of each fax sent.

Let me know if you would like more on this. Not a problem.

Thanks!
Brent

Last edited:

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
We are using a "print on demand" printing service for this. Basically, we provide them a template of what we want it to look like... a spreadsheet of the data - and they sent that to special printers that print each one separately. Pretty cool stuff. :)

If you go to our About Us page - Free to Vape - you can see a PDF of pretty much what the FDA printout will look like (needs a little dressing up still), a PDF of the fax transmitted (that is exactly what it looked like), and a screenshot of the email we get back from the faxing service confirming delivery of each fax sent.

Good stuff! Looked at the PDFs, and yeah it might need dressing up. :p But overall, it's good. :)
JMarca's question about your faxes is still weighing heavily in my mind though. How are you going to get around them simply blocking the number or IP?

bstock

Jun 10, 2014
Easton, MD. USA
If they try to, I would think they would have to be making an ethical decision at that point. Not even sure if that is legal.

Regardless, the fax is sent from a phone number, and those change based on which is available for use at the time... at the faxing service itself. Would be a lot to block, and they would have to work hard figuring out which ones of many, to block. Our service also has others clients that also use them for other faxes they send... and so if they try to block the numbers (can you even block numbers on a regular phone line?)... they risk possibly losing other important faxes too.

I have talked to my Representative's office to see if they are getting them... and they didn't even seem upset about it. ;)

Last edited:

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
If they try to, I would think they would have to be making an ethical decision at that point. Not even sure if that is legal.

Regardless, the fax is sent from a phone number, and those change based on which is available for use at the time... at the faxing service itself. Would be a lot to block, and they would have to work hard figuring out which ones of many, to block. Our service also has others clients that also use them for other faxes they send... and so if they try to block the numbers (can you even block numbers on a regular phone line?)... they risk possibly losing other important faxes too.

I have talked to my Representative's office to see if they are getting them... and they didn't even seem upset about it. ;)

So the user info goes from the site to your servers to your faxing service to a congressman correct?

I'm not saying anyone isn't trustworthy or anything but that's alot of steps, alot of user info changing hands. Ideally you can use a PHP extension called soap, a simply PHP script would let users e-fax or phone fax their own application directly to the destination (congressman). I know I sound a bit paranoid but I do manage alot of personal data for a living and as a general rule if I don't need to store any user info I go out of my way not to. Not only is it a hassle but it's a liability.

If you're interested I'll post some links on below. If you are at all familiar with PHP and SQL you can easily build a small database with either the fax number or e-mail address of everyone you want to reach, then just sort the congressmen by state and every time someone submits a form on your site it goes directly and securely to the congressman in the same state as the person who is submitting with no interaction on your part at all. And the beauty of it is instead of coming from a small range of phone numbers it would come directly from the user's e-mail address, it doesn't get much more better than that because when people go to a hearing they can say I've personally sent letters to congressman-name-here@law.com.

Anyway if you'd like more info feel free to PM me the actual PHP plugin is free and open source, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help where I can.

Plugin - Web Form to Fax with PHP | InterFAX
Tutorial - Fax from PHP Tutorial | InterFAX

bstock

Jun 10, 2014
Easton, MD. USA
Thanks J!

Good stuff! Can tell you have been around the block a few times :)

I know we have used SOAP in the past for a few projects. It's pretty cool. We actually have our own NOC in-house, so it stays on our local network most of the time until the hand off to the fax service, which helps there some (Your All-In-One Hosting Solution | internet connection inc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread