Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilla

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2010
Northern California
www.foxyboxmods.com
Many in this forum use alternatives that you can pack yourself. Especially nice so you dont have to keep buying them (assuming you are buying your own liquid)

My favorite is the Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag filler mod. Plus, the bridge keeps the filler from touching the atomizer.

The other option is to drip straight onto the atomizer (3 drops) and vape until it is gone (6 to 8 hits on my ego) maybe a few more.
I have not bought a drip tip yet, but its next on my list.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
my friend brought up a good point to me this afternoon...how do you know what the filler materials in the cartridges are made of? maybe some of the chemicals in the fillers will break down?? anyone know the answer to this?

A few years ago, members were concerned and a few people started digging for the answers about what exactly all the parts were made of. Here is a quote from the Ruyan patent application about the original filler in the mouthpieces:

"The atomization is constantly supplied by the one hundred percent polyester fiber core that has been filled with the specially formulated liquid that wicks the wire mesh bridge"

You can purchase 100% polyester to replace the filler (sold as quilt batting or pillow stuffing in craft stores, just make sure it isn't treated with flame ......ant chemicals) or you can try some of the other methods many have used for a while (Fluvial, Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag, Polyurethane Foam (Aqua Clear), etc.).

Since the polyfill stays wet there isn't much chance of it burning. It is recommended that you pay attention to your cartridges and refill often. A common mistake for a new user is to vape too dry, especially cartomizers.

If you use the search function for the forum, you can usually find this type of question has been answered. To add to that, the FDA took a pretty good look at electronic cigarettes and if there was a questionable material (such as lead) or chemical gassing, you can be sure they would have squawked the loudest and they'd be hard to find to purchase today.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I don't have any tea bags right now so I use coffee filters instead and make the filler the same way it's done with the tea bags. I prefer this over the poly fill which can get caught in the atty.

Beware using coffee filters as the Pyramid tea bags that people are talking about are special and not like the paper filters that many tea company's use. The Pyramid filters are like this nylon FEELING (not actually made of nylon) mesh stuff. The paper from the coffee filters will erode quickly and, more importantly, are flammable.

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
The best answer to all of this might be the new ce2 ceramic carto's. They have an empty ceramic core that is filled with a syringe. There is no fiber filling of any kind. Being new, they are not available everywhere, but if you do some checking of suppliers you'll find some available now. Do it right away though, they won't last long.

Leroy Brown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Minnesota
According to the Lipton Pyramid website the bags are mad out of a nylon mesh "in a delicate pyramid shape" :). I tried the the Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag mod on one of my carts and liked it so much I switched all of my carts to the Tea Bag mod. It's great, the filler does not stick to the atty, carts last twice as long, and it wicks so much better.

foggy1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
S F Bay Area
Any else using the ZFM ? (zero filler mod).I've got a couple of small straws in the cart holding up a piece of silicon (cut from a cartridge cap) with a small hole in it that drips onto the atty. Forget if I saw here or on utube, but there's a video or two about it. My 510 cart holds about 12 drops without leaks or funny tastes. I just pop the silicon plug out with a toothpick, refill to the top of the straws, replace the plug + cart and vape happy.

FireHorse

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Wyoming, USA
Beware using coffee filters as the Pyramid tea bags that people are talking about are special and not like the paper filters that many tea company's use. The Pyramid filters are like this nylon FEELING (not actually made of nylon) mesh stuff. The paper from the coffee filters will erode quickly and, more importantly, are flammable.

So far I haven't had any problems with the coffee filters I've used but I do keep a good eye on them and if there is any browning, I change it out. I also keep them very wet with juice so they don't dry out.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
The best answer to all of this might be the new ce2 ceramic carto's. They have an empty ceramic core that is filled with a syringe. There is no fiber filling of any kind. Being new, they are not available everywhere, but if you do some checking of suppliers you'll find some available now. Do it right away though, they won't last long.

I've tasted something pretty nasty in those CE2's... and they don't work well out of the box a lot of the time. They just don't seem ready for prime time to me.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Wow, so it really IS nylon.

According to the Lipton Pyramid website the bags are mad out of a nylon mesh "in a delicate pyramid shape" :). I tried the the Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag mod on one of my carts and liked it so much I switched all of my carts to the Tea Bag mod. It's great, the filler does not stick to the atty, carts last twice as long, and it wicks so much better.

Nope, it is PET (Polyethylene terephthalate). When asked by someone on a Gardening (Green) website, they received this response from Lipton:
The translucent Pyramid tea bag is made of PET, the same food grade material clear water and juice bottles are made of. As with any plastic, it would not be considered biodegradable. PET is completely safe and is 100% recyclable within the plastics waste stream. Hope this information is helpful. Kind regards,Your friends at Lipton

Many are concerned about chemical leaching, and also that this is used in a heated application. I was uncomfortable with it (personal choice) and stopped using it.

You CAN find a very similar ribbon material that is Nylon or Polyester at craft and fabric stores called Tulle (get white so you don't have color dyes in it). You can find it in the Bridal Section of most of those fabric stores to use instead of buying the expensive Tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread