Filling a cartomizer in the dark: First attempt at carto filling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
Well, I did it. I ran before I learned how to walk. We'll see how it turns out.
Tonight I filled my first cartomizer. I bought KR808D-1 blanks from lightcigusa, along with some
chocolate creme 11 mg. liquid.
I was super-careful, but of course I dripped a bit.
After carefully removing the soft rubber mouthpiece cap using a metal thing from a folio clip, I first dripped about 12 drops from a vertically-oriented bottle into the carto-condom. I then worked the mouthpiece end carefully into the condom.
Thermometer shaking and gentle rolling followed. Then, I second guessed myself. I flipped the carto battery end up and dropped two drops into the atomizer end, just for good measure. Then, what the hell...might as well cap the bottom, reopen the mouthpiece and and pry the spongy stuff a bit with a toothpick and added five or six more drops.
Then I wiped off the approximately half-gallon of juice from the outside of the carto, from around the battery end and mouthpiece, replaced the soft rubber cap and condomized the mouthpiece end as well.
The cart is now resting in a cool dry place I took care to avoid skin contact with the nicotine juice, and I feel fine. Now I'm waiting a few minutes until I plant this on my KR808D-1 and start vaporizing. I'm scared! Well, kind of.
Whaddya think? Think it's gonna work?

Virk

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Reminds me of my first several fillings lol. It should work. I usually just fill from the top, down the sides, about 18 drops depending on the cart. Then seal it up and give it a slight blow through the top, if nothing comes out the battery end then it usually won't leak at all, if some does, then it's usually done leaking at this point and I use it. That's what I do anyway.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Well, I exagerrated a bit about the half-gallon. Actually, I got a few drips of overflow, but not so much. I am guessing about the drops, as I was literally filling the carto in the dark, going strictly by feel. I am allowing the carto to rest, hoping that the fiber wil soak up any excess. In the meantime, I'm enjoying a tasty chocolate mint V4L carto on my KR808. It is dee-licious. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Update: I tried vaping the refilled carto an hour after filling it, and I immediately got the taste of burning atomizer. So, I added a few more drops at the mouthpiece end, agitated the carto/spun it/prayed over it and it finally started producing vapor and taste, although not much. I consider it a D+/C-minus sort of result.

Sandibri, yes. From what I can tell from listening to the youtube videos on the subject, the cart is pressed into the cartridge cover (a.k.a.condom). Thing is, several folks have different methods of filling a cartomizer.

1.) Top-fill method using some kind of probe to push the wicking material away from the side walls of the carto. This allows the droplets of happiness to flow down to the atomizer end more quickly.
2. Condom method, using the carto condom as both reservoir and low-pressure pump to work the droplets of happiness upward into the wicking through the mouthpiece end.
3. Dripping directly into the atomizer end (i.e. at the battery connector end)
4. Ripping out the wick from the cartomizer, leaving only the atomizer coil and heating wire, then dripping directly into the carto (i.e. using the cartomizer like a dripping tip)
5. Just throwing away the spent cartomizer and replacing it with a fresh one from the factory (which is probably what I'll be doing from now on, unless I can quickly learn to do this correctly).

Of course, my situation is a bit different, as I am blind. I can't really tell how much is dripping from my supply bottle into the cartomizer. I can aim the drops into the carto just fine, but I'm unsure of how much. I don't think I wasted much last night, but I'm not sure of how many drops actually got into the wick material.

Back to the ol' drawing board. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread