Filling Joye 510 cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
NM
I received some of the genuine Joye 510 cartos as part of the Hanukkah special #1 (I think).
So far, these things are terrific! Taste great, hold a lot of juice, but are a pain to fill. I really don't care to carry a syringe around with me and the condom method doesn't work very well.
I also recently tried CE2 R4 cartos and for the life of me can't get them to work without a burnt taste, so I've pretty much given up on them. They did, however, have one interesting feature - the syringe adapter that came with them.
For those who haven't tried them, Royal Smokes delivers them with an adapter that replaces the needle on the syringe and has a thin flexible tube for filling the cartos.
It occurs to me that some smart person (maybe David or MN??) could develop a similar device that would attach directly to a juice bottle and allow us to fill the Joyes without a syringe! What do y'all think?

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
They are very easy to fill and refill by dripping into the battery connector. If you just put one drop to start with right on that little hole in the metal tip, it will go inside. If it doesn't go right away, and some thick juices might take longer, you can just give the mouthpiece end a gentle tap or two on the table to help it along. This will break up any bubbles blocking the flow. Once the path is wet with the first drop or two, the rest will flow in pretty easily. Again, any time the drop just sits there, give the mouth piece a little tap on the table to jar it, but be gentle. Normally, you can get anywhere from 12 to 30 drops into it, depending on how large the drops are. Thick liquid makes big drops, while thin liquid virtually flows inside without sitting there at all. It helps if you tilt the carto slightly, as if pouring a coke. And rotate it fairly evenly as you proceed to spread it around the edges. With minimal practice, you should be able to refill one in less than a minute. Don't try to max out the refill or it will spill out the mouthpiece. And don't bang the carto on the table, just tap gently. You can ruin the atomizer inside by banging too hard, as I learned! It's kind of like a light bulb filament.

What I do is put in about 12 drops to start with, then take a gentle draw on it to see how much gurgling there is. If I get mostly air and no gurgle to speak of, I put in another 4 drops and repeat. I also will insert the metal end into my mouth without touching the metal, just lips over the plastic shell, and give a slow blow into the metal tip to push the liquid up into the filler. It's easy and not nasty. Just wipe it first and try not to touch the metal to your lips or tongue. Blow very gently. If you blow too hard, you'll force juice out the mouthpiece. If you get the hang of this, you'll be able to get about 50% more juice inside without it flowing out the mouthpiece.

A new carto should hold at least 30 drops, but not all at once. You'll need to let the first 15 drops soak in for awhile, then add more. It takes a little time for the filler to soak it up properly on that first fill-up. Refills are usually about 15 drops, again depending on the juice. 10 big thick drops are equal to about 20 little thin ones.

EDIT: A few drops flowing out of the mouthpiece does not necessarily mean the carto is full. The way these are constructed, the air passage is a small shaft along one side. Juice can get into that passage while filling, and the absorbent filler material in the center may be able to hold quite a bit more juice. That's why I suggest rotating it as you fill, so that you're not just pouring juice into that air shaft.

Last edited:

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
Thanks Srcowell. Excellent information that I shall certainly apply! I infer from the response so far that a juice bottle adapter is a bone-headed idea?

No, as Chief Operations Officer of the Bone Head Idea Department I'd have to say your idea is too good to qualify as being Bone Headed.

Personally, I think I'm the granddaddy of the granddaddies around here and I don't find the syringe all that difficult. Like anything, it takes a little practice. Remove the mouthpiece, use an old syringe needle to get through one of the tiny holes in the seal cap and pry it out, use a little nail to punch a hole in the center of the fill area, then inject the juice.

If you fill two or three cartos there should be no need to carry around a syringe, and I'd suggest getting the white cartos because its easier to see inside them. I use those clip-on LED lights on a ball cap for light and a pair of reading glasses to see with. But only because I'm old(ish).

I thought getting syringes would be a hassle, but at Wal-Mart they just give me a handful when I ask. If you're 16 I guess it might be a problem.

Just be careful not to inject French Toast juice into your index finger or you'll be rendering songs like El Dee or poetry like LordDevon.

Free2BMe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
IL
srcowell, thanks for the input...most certainly helpful to me! :) I've never been able to get that many drops in one soo far so I'll have to try a couple of those tips you mentioned.

I do fill from the battery end most generally...just too lazy or not at a convenient location to use a syringe. I find I'm also not patient enough to let them sit and soak like I should. I mainly use mine on juice feeder pv's, though, so if I get 15 drops in I'm good to go cause I can easily just squeeze more drops in as needed. They do have the best flavor IMO from any other carto I've tried so it's more a weighing the pros and cons to see what will work best for you.

kgj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
NM
Thanks T. By no means did I intend to usurp your position as Chief Operations Officer of the Bone Head Idea Department, although I'm probably qualified for a high ranking position within the Department. I don't have a problem with using a syringe at home and loading up a couple of carts for the day, but travel a lot for days or weeks at a time and prefer not to carry things that pique TSA's interest. I did once accidentally inject Irish Cream and gave a truly horrible rendition of Danny Boy.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
srcowell, thanks for the input...most certainly helpful to me! :) I've never been able to get that many drops in one soo far so I'll have to try a couple of those tips you mentioned.

I do fill from the battery end most generally...just too lazy or not at a convenient location to use a syringe. I find I'm also not patient enough to let them sit and soak like I should. I mainly use mine on juice feeder pv's, though, so if I get 15 drops in I'm good to go cause I can easily just squeeze more drops in as needed. They do have the best flavor IMO from any other carto I've tried so it's more a weighing the pros and cons to see what will work best for you.

I do a session of filling a bunch of them every Saturday, but when I'm at work, I usually just replenish the carto with a small sample bottle. Like you, 15 drops, or even 10-12 is good for most juices. I just use one of those little 2ml sample bottles from FFUSA that I keep refilling from a larger bottle. It fits discreetly into a shirt pocket or coin purse, and it's easy to just refill on the go. I've often refilled this way while stopped at a red light in traffic, it's so easy!

Free2BMe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
IL
I do a session of filling a bunch of them every Saturday, but when I'm at work, I usually just replenish the carto with a small sample bottle. Like you, 15 drops, or even 10-12 is good for most juices. I just use one of those little 2ml sample bottles from FFUSA that I keep refilling from a larger bottle. It fits discreetly into a shirt pocket or coin purse, and it's easy to just refill on the go. I've often refilled this way while stopped at a red light in traffic, it's so easy!

I love those sample bottles too! I never even frown at getting a sample of something I already have just because I'm excited to have another bottle. LOL

So when you do your fill sessions, how do you keep track of what flavor is in the carto? Do you use labels or what? I have a feeling this is what I should probably be doing so I can get the maximum amount of fluid into the carto to start with.

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
I got the ego ones for that sale. I thought they were for the standard eGo but I guess they are for the MEGA because these suckers are huge!!! =(

Kristen, are you going to be able to use the mega's? Their great for the amount of juice they hold and look fine on my big, ol Buzz. Don't know how they would look on the eGo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread