Firing Issues On New SL/LP Grand...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Fellow Reonauts,

I have a brand new SL/LP Grand that I am really loving, there seems to be an issue firing it though. Not sure if it is an issue with batteries that are getting worn or something else.

Sometimes I have to really mash the firing button to get it work, mash it hard enough so that I swear I can feel the little connection arm flex. After I do that it seems to fire normally for a few hits, then not at all so I have to mash it again. Could just be the way they work but don't seem to have to push so firmly with my other LP Grand.

Thoughts? Fixes? I just so happen to have a spare SO kit so if I need to change/adjust anything I imagine I can do it as long as someone gives me 101 level instructions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

ps- have a lunch meeting so if I don't respond until mid-afternoon don't think I'm being rude, just wanted to put this out there now so I have something to work with tonight when I have some time.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Couple of things come to mind...

Check to see if your firing pin/lever has moved. Not sure what kind of bat you're using, but with button tops the lever can rotate and not make good contact with the bat terminal. While you're there, check to make sure the lever hasn't bent, producing the same issue (BTW, mashing can exacerbate this).

Sometimes, as well, torque is created from firing that moves the battery, again preventing a good connection with the lever. Your spring might have moved as a result of this, so that's another thing to check.

Also, try another atty on the unit just to make sure it's not an atty or build issue (which it doesn't sound like).

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
All good tips, was hoping to avoid using Noalox and didn't think I needed to with the SO kit but if that's what I need to do I will.

The Grand is brand new, as in I put the first battery in it yesterday, so not sure how anything would have moved out of place but possible. The mod was purchased from MOV, is it possible they installed the SO kit themselves and didn't do it correctly? Were the SLs even out before the SO kits?

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Well, lever movement could happen with your first use, but it's less likely if the reo is new. Chances are a vendor is not taking the time to install upgrade kits, so it's prolly Rob-installed.

You could use deoxit instead of noalox - less messy. Clean the contacts in the reo with iso alcohol and the bat contacts with a pencil eraser (then clean with iso). To be sure, you can apply deoxit to: the firing lever, the spring, both contacts of the battery.

FB's note about the button cover is a good one, too.

Lillie Bennett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
Virginia
Couple of things come to mind...

Check to see if your firing pin/lever has moved. Not sure what kind of bat you're using, but with button tops the lever can rotate and not make good contact with the bat terminal. While you're there, check to make sure the lever hasn't bent, producing the same issue (BTW, mashing can exacerbate this)...

But what can be done about that, the firing contactor rides up and down within a slot on the underside of the delrin cover, it's movement is fixed. Also my spring tends to tilt the battery top outward against the door further misaligning the pin and the battery button.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Both should be available in stores that sell electrical hardware - you can google "noalox" and/or "deoxit gold" to check availability.

Noalox is a grey paste - $12 should get you a lifetime supply. You can apply it with a q-tip or toothpick. It can get a little messy and rubs off easily.

Deoxit gold is a gel - the pen (as opposed to tube) format is easier to use; just dab it on to the contacts and wipe away any excess. It apparently bonds to the metal and I find it lasts longer (but it's harder to see where you've applied it.

Sorry I don't know specific suppliers as I'm not located in the states.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
But what can be done about that, the firing contactor rides up and down within a slot on the underside of the delrin cover, it's movement is fixed. Also my spring tends to tilt the battery top outward against the door further misaligning the pin and the battery button.

I find on mine it is the magnet in the door that pulls the battery out. I slide the door up to take off and slide down to put on, to keep it from happening.

Vapeaholic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
NE Texas
I find on mine it is the magnet in the door that pulls the battery out. I slide the door up to take off and slide down to put on, to keep it from happening.

^^^^What he said^^^
Are you using Sony VTC4's or 5's? The top can get pitted from arcing and you'll need some fine sandpaper 200 or 300 grit to smooth out the pits. Try using the Reo with the door off and holding the battery back with your finger when you fire it. Spin the battery with your thumb when you have trouble with it firing. If it fires good after you spin it you need to smooth out the pits. Plus do what FB says above. The magnets pull the Sony's to the door when you pull the door off and back on from the bottom.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA

I haven't had any problems but that's an interesting and useful tip. Never would have occured to me. Thanks.:)

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
I noticed the same issue tonight, with Xtar VTC4 Button batteries. The fix? Look at the battery and see if the button is off center. If it is off center (all 4 of my batteries appear off center) rotate the battery so that the button aligns with the switch and install. This should eliminate the arcing and variable button pressure features on your REO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread