First Coil Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkMan

Jul 17, 2019
New Orleans
EB3165CC-3C87-4206-A47C-E39717B5363A.jpeg
It was a disaster but amazingly it’s working quite well!

YorkMan

Jul 17, 2019
New Orleans
28 ga Kanthal wrapped using a 3mm jig. The wrapping went OK, the burn in went well, the wick install pulled the coil into a pretzel so I removed the coil and wicked it using the brute force method. I lost a wrap somewhere in the process. Massaged it all back together, installed it, primed it and let it sit for a while. Got a 1.3 ohm coil instead of the target 1.5! Fired it up and it works great.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@YorkMan, @MacTechVpr has a thread on tensioned micro coils. Unfortunately as unusual I can't find it when I want to, it's hiding form me somewhere on the forums. So @MacTechVpr, can you help us out there.

And sorry for asking, but are you using it in wattage or TC? Because unfortunately Kanthal doesn't do TC, as TC uses resistance changes and Kanthal has such a low resistance change that mod chipsets can't read it.

And don't worry about how it looks. It doesn't need to look pretty, it needs to work. But not a bad first attempt, you'll certainly get better over time. Personally I think that wicking is more of a pain to get right, finding that goldilocks zone is elusive at times.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
@YorkMan, @MacTechVpr has a thread on tensioned micro coils. Unfortunately as unusual I can't find it when I want to, it's hiding form me somewhere on the forums. So @MacTechVpr, can you help us out there.

And sorry for asking, but are you using it in wattage or TC? Because unfortunately Kanthal doesn't do TC, as TC uses resistance changes and Kanthal has such a low resistance change that mod chipsets can't read it.

And don't worry about how it looks. It doesn't need to look pretty, it needs to work. But not a bad first attempt, you'll certainly get better over time. Personally I think that wicking is more of a pain to get right, finding that goldilocks zone is elusive at times.

Thanks for the nod @Mordacai. If there were a thousand of me I'd do my damndest to make sure every new vaper took a shot at this and made it part of their build kit. Slowin down these days I'm afraid. But here ya go…

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Hail us for some help there if you get stuck.

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks!!! I will study that video, wow those are nice looking coils.

I am using Cloudance Cotton V3.0.

It takes 30 secs or less to make one and they tend to stay zakly like you see 'em.

Can't beat that!

Hand strain winding's advantage is repeatability. If you can build singles down to 22AWG that perform consistently it's an awesome barometer for comparing all equipment and builds you drop your hard earned money on. I highly recommend it.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks!!! I will study that video, wow those are nice looking coils.

I am using Cloudance Cotton V3.0. Didn’t think to trim the width! I have a lot to learn....

As you have a chance try to get familiar with steamengine.org as that will greatly help you determine the specs of your wind, particularly with the precision of strain. Being able to predictably repeat a wind is your best chance at narrowing down your preferences quickly. Something we all want to do…limit the time and money needed to get to what we like.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
3mm is large?

If anybody want to give me a recipe for a good coil build to start with please feel free. My current requirements are quite simple, I just want to vape.
Yes, imo, 3mm is the small end of LARGE coils...

Steam engine coil builder, as linked to earlier is great for designing coils. I'm not a MTL kinda vaper, or simple wire, but iirc, 28g kanthal should be in the 2mm ID, 8/9 wraps range... But I'll poke around steam now and see what I come up with.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

YorkMan

Jul 17, 2019
New Orleans
I know that I need to study and figure this out for myself but may I ask one simple question?

Are the coil wraps supposed to touch one another or somehow be spaced apart? That is confusing to me for uninsulated wire. I’m used to transformers and coils in audio electronics, not heater coils!

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Great, I have a 2.5 spool to wrap on. Based on first experience and previous advice I gotta trim the wick width to 7.5mm to get it through without distorting the coil? I can do that.
If you properly tension the coil as you wrap, that shouldn't be an issue. The technique I fell into using, by trial and error, is similar to what I believe is called the Scottish roll.

I take my wick, and roll it between my palms to tighten it down. Make sure not to twist, as that will impede flow.

Once it's is cord like, I twist just the end into a makeshift aglet. This bit will be cut, then thin the tails to just below the shoulder.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@YorkMan, I've never used cloudance cotton V3. Is it in strips or laces?

But the best things to remember with wicking is that you don't want to use so much that you really have to force it through the coil, there should be interference so it makes good contact with the coil though.

Also Cotton expands when wet, so you don't want to get it too tight through the coil when it's dry otherwise when it gets wet it'll expand and won't wick effectively and you'll end up with a poor vape (lack of flavour and vapour) and dry hits (wick dries out and gets toasted or burns, yuck).

Rayon on the otherhand shrinks a little when wet, it can be easier for folks to use because of this and also the fact that it doesn't fall to pieces like cotton. So it puts up with thinning and fluffing much better, because you have to work at it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread