Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
The techicnal stuff is being covered, I'd just like to say that it takes a while to start getting everything right. Until you do, it can be frustrating, believe me, I know. I was about a month getting what works for me figured out. When it all starts to jive, it gets very satisfying. Hang in there, it'll work out.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
the kit came with 5 unfilled cartomizers. Was there a burnt taste, from your cartos? yes, and it was awful. How did you know that they were full? I have no idea. I will try to saturate one of the two I have messed with, and fill it from the tip instead of from the bottom.

I have a manual battery.

I don't know what a cartridge is.

Does this really satisfy and take the 'edge' of wanting a regular cigarette when it works?

Yes, they work.....I smoked heavily of the last two years of a 40+ year smoking habit.....ecigs DO work...
When filling a cartomizer, I take the white mouth piece off by using a paper clip end...be care to just insert it just enough to get the cap off,,don't put it in too far or you will pull the stuffing out too....then I tilt the cartomizer while holding it in one hand and I drip the jucie down the inside of the cartomizer and you can turn it also to help distribute the liquid. If you let some juice go down the middle it will just run out the end and not hurt anything.....put enough drops(around 20ish or so) until it looks like a slushy....put the cap back on and hold a tissue at the battery end and gently blow thru.....then vape...
let us know how it goes.
:)

Last edited:

Astatine

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
USA
Hi mustquitnow and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to see you are struggling so much on your first day. Sounds like you are very frustrated. Take it easy...you've been smoking for 40 years so allow yourself a week or two to make the transition (at this point what's an extra 14 days?). With the pack of Marboro light handy, you may figure it out a lot faster (I use to feel a lot sharper with a cigarette in hand when I was still smoking :) )and your chances of finding out that it is satisfying after all might be greater.

I can't help but notice that your nicotine content in the juices is pretty high. I made the same mistake when I started. I thought that being a heavy smoker using full flavor Newport, I needed a LOT of nicotine. Turned out, it's not true. At 36 mg, I find it irritating and it makes me cough. I actually learned that my zone of comfort is between 6 and 18 mg. From time to time, I go to 24 but it's rare and it is usually just for one vape. You might want to try something lighter.

One other point: you mention that you dipped the cartomizer in the juice and that it tasted bad. Did you get the juice itself in your mouth? (That is absolutely horrible when it happens!). The side that goes into your mouth should never touch any juice. If you look inside the cartomizer, you will see that there some sort of filling. You should place a few drops of liquid in the filling until it pools a bit on top. Then place that into the atomizer and vape.

Hope this is helpful.

Who-dat

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Austin
Well, it looks like you've got 2.5ohm Bauways, so they're not running too hot. There are many ways to fill a carto. Many don't like the condom method, but I actually preferred it - but my method varied a bit, from what's on the videos. The cartos I use now, when I'm not bottom-feeding, don't like that method. Whatever method you use, the point is to get the filler wet, so that the coils (the things that burn) are wet. If they're dry, and they touch dry filler around them, they'll burn it. And you'll get that nasty taste.

Having said that, this isn't rocket science. Heck, I often tend to start vaping a carto within a minute of filling it. So, you definitely don't have to wait overnight. Just be sure they're wet inside, and you can err on the side of excess liquid, for now. As many have mentioned, you can always blow the excess out. And do yourself a favor and order some more cartos & juice. Try juice samples, until you find what you like. Just don't get to the point when you run out, and have an "excuse" for going back to smoking. In time, you'll probably prefer the e-cig experience over smoking, regardless of the health benefits, 10 times out of 10.

It may seem a bit frustrating now, but it will get better really fast. And soon, you'll be helping out newbies and converting smokers, yourself.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I will try to saturate one of the two I have messed with, and fill it from the tip instead of from the bottom.

Just my opinion, but throw those cartomizers that burnt away. You'll never get rid of that burnt taste even if you get it filled and soaked through and you'll be more frustrated and waste more juice.

Take a new one tonight and get at least 20 drops in it using whatever method works for you - the cap filling method or dripping from the top, but avoiding the hole in the center. Then try to add a few more drops to the top in the morning until it looks slushy.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
Keep experimenting. You'll get it figured out. Don't fire the cartomizers unless you make sure they are filled with juice beforehand.

It typically takes around 25-30 drops to fill one when they are new. If you are filling them by dripping drops, it can take a little time for them to wick into the cottony-like material. It doesn't hurt to leave them sitting around for an hour or so before you use them. That will allow time for the liquid to spread evenly thruout the wicking material.

Some people don't like filling with the condom method, but it does work quite well. Here's a link to a video about doing it that way, and explains something called the taryn spin which also works.

I guess the important thing is to start narrowing down what is going wrong for you and then start eliminating those obstacles.

So make sure your cartos are full to begin with...

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
You have some good info posted here for you already... I would think that the experience you had is either as stated above either not enough juice in the cartomizer or probably too much juice int the cartomozer. The only way to know is to pop the cap out of the mouth end and look at the filler.

I have found that a headphone plug is the perfect size to pop in the hole and pry the cap out without worrying about damaging the filler. I used to use a paper clip but no matter how careful I was I still wound up messing up the filler sometimes.

Until you get your feet under you with this I would definitely recommend removing the cap and slowly dripping the juice into the top until the filler is well whetted. You will know you are full or dripping too fast if it starts to come out the thread end. I just drip 3 drops let it soak in and repeat until it stops absorbing.

Another thing that may help some at first... don't hit the button until you start your draw!!! and let go of it just before the end of your draw. Also don't draw directly into your lungs. Draw into your mouth and then inhale. I tried the direct inhale only once and pretty much had the experience you described.

I hope this helps you out some...

Erfmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
how long does that cartomizer last as compared to the atomizer? is the difference that the cartomizer holds more liquid? what is the advantage over the other?

Atomizer....in your case, since you didn't get the cartridges, you would just drip 3 or 4 drops into the middle of the atty, take 5 or 6 drags on it, then repeat...3 or 4 more drops, 5 or 6 more drags...you get good flavor on the first few drags, and for some this is the only thing they do...it's good, but not a portable method, unless you don't mind carrying the juice bottle around...

Cartomizers, which you have... You pop off the mouth end cap, drip 20-25 drops into the filler, let it soak for a bit...then vape for maybe an hour or 2 depending on how often you hit it...
This for me is a better on the go method...you can fill 5 or 6 or 10 of these cartos at once, put the rubber caps back on them, and take them with you if your going out, or to work, or whatever...

The lifespan on these things varys...some atomizers last for months...some die in a week...
The cartos you should be able to refill 5 or more times before they just stop performing...then toss them and get more...

Hope this makes sense and helps a little...keep at it. It'll all be second nature to you soon..

MustQuitNow

May 1, 2011
Delaware USA
Erfmann, it makes sense and I realize there will be a learning curve to come up to speed. But, that kinda segues into my nagging thought which is it seems the e-cig culture is very happily dependent on so much and so varied paraphernalia. As a recovering addict/alcoholic for over 26 years, I find a lot of this very reminiscent of an era that I chose not to embrace. And it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Erfmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
Arizona
Yep, we all are still learning..but there will come a time when you say, " damn, I've haven't had a cigarette in a week, that's awesome".. And you can pat yourself on the back and go for the next week...vaping is a nice alternative to smoking...eventually, you should save some cash by going the vaping route ( ok, I haven't saved any yet, cuz I keep buying all the new gadgets I see here, and all sorts of flavored juices...lol) and improving your health is a nice by product also...
Stick it out...you'll be an old pro at this in no time....
And there are lots of friendly caring folks here who want to help make this work for you and everyone.
Good luck, and happy vaping.

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
As for filling the cartomizers and keeping them wet to avoid the burnt taste, I agree with earlier posts about using either the condom or dripping method for getting juice in to the cartomizer. Practice and experience will make the process easier and if you keep at it, you will get more comfortable with both.

As for satisfying and taking the "edge" off, I can tell you that I have been vaping for 2.5 years and have been totally analog free for over two years, after a heavy heavy 3ppd habit for over 37 years, so the answer is yes, it can. It takes some work and experimentation but do not despair, we all go through it as find our way down this road. The experience is worth it, though.

My husband and I and several family members and friends have all reached our goals, and the process and time frame was different for each, but all of us are now in the "satified" stage and I truly do not have ANY desire for a cigarette. I never dreamed I would be able to make that claim.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Mustquitnow...Welcome to ECF!
I know well the feeling of ???. I spent 1 week prior to the change(cig to e-cig) on ECF and then another 3 months and counting on ECF learning as much as possible from these fine people. I have a setup similar to yours and experienced some of the same snags as you have and found most were just my lack of knowledge. It took me about 1-2 weeks to feel comfortable with my gear and about 3 days to realize I hated tobacco flavored juices and decided to jump right in on DIY. The possibilities of flavor/mg are endless with DIY and even if you choose premade there are many reputable vendors that you can check out right here on ECF. The greatest thing about vaping(aside from the health benefits) are the choices, which face it we really didn't have as smokers. I know all these choices seem overwhelming to you at this point but you will embrace them down the road. We all seem to find our "sweet spot" with juice mg and flavors, cartomizer vs cartridge vs dripping and so on. It will all come down to what works for you.

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
Another little hint or tip would be for you to see if there is a state or area forum board for your area, who knows, there might be a Meet going on soon in your area or other users living or working near you that could be a big help in person. Until then, watch as many videos and reviews as you can and you will find your way.

lazymitch

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
Wilsonville, OR
Heya MustQuitNow:

There's a Friends of Bill W. group here:
Friends of Bill W.

Erfmann, it makes sense and I realize there will be a learning curve to come up to speed. But, that kinda segues into my nagging thought which is it seems the e-cig culture is very happily dependent on so much and so varied paraphernalia. As a recovering addict/alcoholic for over 26 years, I find a lot of this very reminiscent of an era that I chose not to embrace. And it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
What is your goal in taking up vaping?
--Stop smoking cigarettes
--Stop using nicotine completely
--Stop the "smoking" habit completely

I'm guessing from your statement that it is the latter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread