First Day with E-Cigs & Not off to a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
^ Indeed. Though I also suspect that some of those other "4000+" chemicals everyone is always referencing are probably addictive too. But nothing short of opiates compares to nicotine in that regard. So these things can and do work as everyone is saying. A lot more fun than chewing a piece of nasty gum too in addition to more thoroughly effective. :2cool:

Last edited:

chevelle

ECF Veteran
MQN, I thought I would chime in here. I am pretty new to vaping myself - about 3 months now. I bought the exact same eGo system from Mad Vapes that you have. They are a very reputable vendor and I love that eGo!. You made a great choice with a quality e-cig. Mad Vapes also has some fine e-juices as well. You have also received some excellent advice already on the technical side so I won't belabor those points. Suffice to say that there is no need to burden yourself with all the gadgetry and paraphenalia. You have everything you will need right now. Let your future inclinations take care of themselves, down the road.
There is a leaning curve with this stuff but I can tell you from recent, first hand experience that you will be kicking the analog cigarette habit for good and all. vaping is not only an effective way to take a significant edge off of cigarette withdrawl symptoms and cravings but it is also very pleasurable and downright tasty once you get it figured out and find a few favorite flavors. I started out just vaping occasionally to cut down on the analogs. I began to steadily vape more and smoke less and less. then I got my eGo two weeks ago. Haven't wanted a cigarette since! Found a few great juices (also from mad vapes) and I'm doing fine. You will too.

The effect of vaping e-liquid with nicotine is rather subtle. It won't slap you with a strong head rush like cigarettes do with their thousands of other chemicals. It works more to keep the main cravings at bay. You'll suddenly realize that..."hey, I have just gone four hours and not wanted a cigarette!" That is a wonderful feeling!! A dozen hits every hour or so of 18mg nicotine juice does it for me at the moment. The cartomizers work fine by the way. You will likely want to order another box at least along with some different flavors of juice. (my favorite from them is fried apple BTW.)

Hang in there and keep posting here with your progress or questions. We've all been through exactly what you are going through right now. Above all, don't be discouraged if it seems confusing. It may take a few days or even weeks but you'll get the hang of it. After smoking all those years, a few days more isn't much at all. the end result is worth it!

By the way, your comment on the gurgling Water Pipe sound made me LOL! Been a long time for me too but I remember it well. If your cartomizer has a lot of "gurgling", simply take it off and give it a little blow into a tissue. Some juice can collect in the center tube and not be absorbed into the filler. You'll get a little blop of juice on the tissue. Then Vape away!

Dave

Last edited:

Wickyd

May 3, 2011
New Jersey
The first experience with e-cig's is rather tough. I started about a year ago with some generic 901 with a cartomizer...tried my best for about a month, ended up throwing it in a drawer and going back to full analog. About 2 months ago, tried another one from a distributor in the US and only real difference was it was a 901 with atomizer and cart separate instead of a cartomizer...much better, but I got tired of carrying around multiple batteries, multiple carts, chargers, PCC, blah blah blah. About 2 weeks ago I bought a used Screwdriver mod from a friend of mine with a MAP tank and LOVE it! I really don't care about what it looks like to others and have cut back on analogs from a pack a day to 2 packs a week! I'm juice hunting now to see what flavors I should stock up on.

If you don't care what it looks like, try one of the mods that are out there, it's a totally different experience from the minis.

Empress Kitty

Supreme Empress of Earth
ECF Veteran
Ok seems like your filling method is the problem. you have to add the liquid to the filler inside the carto. (take to soft cap off (use a paperclip but be careful you do not damage the filler)) and add about 20 drops 2=3 at a time and let it absorb. do not overfill or you will get crap vapor production and juice in your mouth.

IMG_2692.jpg
[/IMG]

this is 2 cartos one with cap off and one with cap on I labeled the one cap CIN because it is filled with cinnamon.

Hope this helps

~Kitty

Empress Kitty

Supreme Empress of Earth
ECF Veteran
Kitty,
after filling just blow lightly thru while hold a tissue at the bat end....should stop the juice in the mouth thingy...... works for me....
:)

I use clearomizers mostly now lol so it is a non issue but yes that is a good point that i forgot to mention ty sweety!

~Kitty

Aldee88

May 9, 2011
Surrey, England
Id say for now Mustquit, go with the previous posts and start with the atomiser. Do a bit more research before using your cartomisers as they need to be used right to avoid burnt taste etc.

If you havent already tried using your atty (or even if you have), you need to get the 'primer' liquid out first to make sure you dont have a disgusting flavour off your first few puffs. im under stating this, the taste is one of the worst out there. I have actually thrown up from the horrid, acrid taste of primer.
First suggestion is to take a paper towel or toilet paper and gently cover the battery end.
Then blow from the atomiser end, hard and long. you should see a damp patch on the paper.
Repeat until there is little or no more liquid on the paper.
Next roll a corner of the paper up and gently stuff it into the atty end and gently twist to clear the walls of the tube.
Wipe the atty all over, especially the battery connection and screw onto you battery.
Drop no more than 4 drops of liquid into your atty and wait for a few secs to allow wicking.
Pop a cartridge (with stuffing removed) onto the atty and have a few puffs without inhaling.
There probably is still some primer in there so keeping puffing without inhaling (around 5 puffs)
Let the atty cool down then add 2 more drops and have a few more puffs; cool down, puff; cool down, puff until there is hardly any vapour.
Drop in 3 more drops and puff until you cant taste the primer.
Once there is hardly any primer taste then you can vape normally!
So the whole idea is when Direct Dripping, you drop in 3 drops at a time and vape until the vapour production drops to a small amount. This is the 'easiest' way to start vaping to get the best vapour/flavour.

Sorry bout the long post but too few times i see people suggest all sorts of things to new vapours and overlook explaining how to remove the primer. I suffered through 3 primer filled atomisers before I found a helpful video of blowing out primer.

And don't get intimidated by all the advice you are going to get or all the technical talk you will see. Take it slow, do your research and ask as many questions as you can to help you on your way. Good luck!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I know there are lots of carto fans here, so I will just state my preferences and go away quietly!

The CE2 didn't impress me, so I turned to the Ego-T Tank. It's great, but you have to fiddle with the wick plate and clean them just like other attys.

The Mega type B Cylinder atty is also a great vape with a 2ml+ juice capacity. They wear like iron and even the old ones I have still produce great taste and vapor. I switch between the Type B and the Tank.

A drip tip is still the best vape you will find. I like the 306 atty with a drip tip. You can change flavors quickly and they wash and dry quickly.

One day the ultimate Ecig will hit the market and I'll bet that it will have a 510/Ego battery thread compatibility when it does.

Empress Kitty

Supreme Empress of Earth
ECF Veteran
I know there are lots of carto fans here, so I will just state my preferences and go away quietly!

The CE2 didn't impress me, so I turned to the Ego-T Tank. It's great, but you have to fiddle with the wick plate and clean them just like other attys.

The Mega type B Cylinder atty is also a great vape with a 2ml+ juice capacity. They wear like iron and even the old ones I have still produce great taste and vapor. I switch between the Type B and the Tank.

A drip tip is still the best vape you will find. I like the 306 atty with a drip tip. You can change flavors quickly and they wash and dry quickly.

One day the ultimate Ecig will hit the market and I'll bet that it will have a 510/Ego battery thread compatibility when it does.

LOL I too have tried ego with LR/SR attys and carts; catros; clearomizers; and the tank system. I swap between tank and clearo now. Atm i have a mega clearo loaded with my all day vape (watermelon) and I am currently puffing on pink spot vapors Thahiti Breeze in my tank

~Kitty

MustQuitNow

May 1, 2011
Delaware USA
Update: Yesterday, had to make a road trip for work. Brought my e-cig along and practiced vaping along with smoking (less) during the 3 hour drive. Really focused on button pressing timing to inhaling slowly to drawing into mouth to the lungs, etc so it ended up nice, smooth and actually satisfying.

When I got to my destination, put the e-cig in my computer bag and went about my business. Sometime later (couldn't smoke anywhere for 4 hours), reached for the e-cig, only to find that it spilled juice everywhere inside the compartment of the bag. I mean there was the stickiest & gooiest & most disgusting 510. It was through and through from the mouthpiece to the battery. I washed it off the best I could inside the bathroom, wrapped in a paper towel and finished my business. As I drove home, took it out, vaped some in between smoking and that was that. This morning, cleaning out the kit, and trying out yet another new, fresh cartomizer.

Questions:
1. How can I prevent this 510 from spilling like that? Is there a cap for the mouthpiece that I might have thrown away?
2. This e-cig manual battery button is really prone to easily going off, depending where I lay the piece... and in my pocket or just holding it causes it to easily happen
3. Why does a new cartomizer have this awful sweet smell?
4. How can I prevent this juice from getting all over me? No matter how careful I am, even when I don't spill the drops of liquid, I seem to end up with sticky hands.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Update: Yesterday, had to make a road trip for work. Brought my e-cig along and practiced vaping along with smoking (less) during the 3 hour drive. Really focused on button pressing timing to inhaling slowly to drawing into mouth to the lungs, etc so it ended up nice, smooth and actually satisfying.

When I got to my destination, put the e-cig in my computer bag and went about my business. Sometime later (couldn't smoke anywhere for 4 hours), reached for the e-cig, only to find that it spilled juice everywhere inside the compartment of the bag. I mean there was the stickiest & gooiest & most disgusting 510. It was through and through from the mouthpiece to the battery. I washed it off the best I could inside the bathroom, wrapped in a paper towel and finished my business. As I drove home, took it out, vaped some in between smoking and that was that. This morning, cleaning out the kit, and trying out yet another new, fresh cartomizer.

Questions:
1. How can I prevent this 510 from spilling like that? Is there a cap for the mouthpiece that I might have thrown away?
2. This e-cig manual battery button is really prone to easily going off, depending where I lay the piece... and in my pocket or just holding it causes it to easily happen
3. Why does a new cartomizer have this awful sweet smell?
4. How can I prevent this juice from getting all over me? No matter how careful I am, even when I don't spill the drops of liquid, I seem to end up with sticky hands.

Are you using the cartomizers or the atomizer?

Do you have the ability to take some photos of what is happening and post them up for us to see? Worst case you can use the little rubber condoms that come on new cartomizers to seal them up after you fill them for transport.

If you are having cartomizers leak all over my only guess is that they are way over filled... I use a hard case eye glass case to carry my PV and have not had a standard cartomizer ever make a mess... I would not just throw it in a bag or purse loose. (I have only been doing this for just over a month)

If you have the ability to use skype or msn with a web cam I can do a video call with you to go over a couple of things and hopefully see what is happening and if there is anything we can do to get you headed in the correct direction. Please PM me if this is a direction you might want to explore. I really would like to see you get this working good for you as I know how much it has helped me quit analogs. I was lucky and was one of the ones that was able to completely quit the first day I got my first e-cig kit...

If someone with more experience could also volunteer to assist via video call would be great as I still consider myself pretty much a newbie...

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Sounds like you maybe got so worried about cartomizers burning that you are now overfilling them? or were you dripping juice directly into the atomizer?

Cartomizers need to be saturated with juice, but not so much so that they would leak. After it's filled, and has rested to soak through, blow from the threaded end into a tissue/paper towel and wipe it off before you screw it into the battery, and also take a tissue to soak up any juice that is sitting in the battery part. After it's filled, you need to drip drops down the side on top, avoiding the hole in the center - that's where juice will leak out if it's over filled. You should be able to turn it upside down and have nothing spill out and you shouldn't feel any juice around the connection where the cartomizer fits on the battery.

There isn't a mouthpiece for a cartomizer, just the white cap with a hole in it, but you could take the clear cap that a cartomizer comes in and put it over the top while you're not using it for a period of time.

I don't know if you got a drip tip in your kit, but I'm thinking you might have since you got an atomizer (many carto kits don't come with an atomizer, just cartomizers so you got lucky there). I don't use the white cap - I throw that away and put a drip tip on the end of the cartomizer, but I still pull it off to top up cartomizers, although, with practice, you shouldn't have to.

There is an accessory for an Ego that protects the button, maybe someone has a link to one.

That awful sweet smell seems to be something that only some people are sensitive to. I don't know what it is, I've asked. I think it's either Dekang juice or a difference in the nicotine extraction process in China vs. the US. It may be oxidation in PG. All I know for certain is that VaporBomb and Backwoods Brew juices don't have it. I'm sure there are many others, but I've found that Top Vapor, Liberty-Flights and pre-filled carts and cartomizers do.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
MustQuit,
Can you telll me the color of the threads on those cartomizers? I have heard that Baudeway(sp) cartomizers are not real reliable.....
I have always used Boge cartomizers and they have silver threads, just saying that may be the difference and may account for your troubles.....
You can find a five pack of 2.5 boges for around 8.00 or so.....
Cause I've never had any of my boge cartomizers leak.......
Can't figure out why you are having so much trouble.....maybe it is the cartomizer itself......just saying.......and throwing out suggestions.

Empress Kitty

Supreme Empress of Earth
ECF Veteran
MustQuit,
Can you telll me the color of the threads on those cartomizers? I have heard that Baudeway(sp) cartomizers are not real reliable.....
I have always used Boge cartomizers and they have silver threads, just saying that may be the difference and may account for your troubles.....
You can find a five pack of 2.5 boges for around 8.00 or so.....
Cause I've never had any of my boge cartomizers leak.......
Can't figure out why you are having so much trouble.....maybe it is the cartomizer itself......just saying.......and throwing out suggestions.

I also only use BOGE cartos (when I use them that is) you can get SR or LR from Puresmoker for $1.49 each

~Kitty

Eli Huffman

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
Columbus
Keep with it. Mb try a different model or brand. I was a heavy smoker for 12 yrs and now I've been smoke free for over a yr and a half. Start out with cartos and not the juice. That's how I did it. Use the juice once your comfortable with vaping. It takes a little time getting used to it, but once you do you'll realize that vaping tastes better than an actual cig.

Good luck!!

Vape one

Eli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread