First Day with E-Cigs & Not off to a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
Many people don't have any cravings for cigarettes after taking their first vape.
In fact, I'd say more people do not have any cravings than the number of people that do have them.

Um I'm still really new to this and to here but I really don't know about that. If it seems that way my hunch is because the people that do have that amazing, quit-after-first vape experience are much vocal compared to those that don't. The rest of us, and I'd veture to say that's the majority keep more quiet about it because we are still trying to get there and are wondering what we are doing wrong or what's different about us. Also still trying to find the "right" setup and combos for our needs that I guess some get pretty lucky about off the bat. All the internet research in the world can't compare to actually seeing and trying something for yourself.

I first heard of vaping in early 2009, didn't get off my ... and try it until mid-2010 and now finally mid-April 2011 it is really grabbing me and better satisfying my bad nicotine urges and I'm finally smoking less without forcing myself to. At best, I really just feel statements like yours are unnecessarily discouraging to people like the OP. I know I found them that way in the beginning.

To the OP just stick with it and keep reading too like others have said. Yes, starting "blind" with a cartomizer kit was bad luck. Regular carts with a standard atty are really the way to go (and soon you'd probably find you just wanna drip until maybe branching out into mods, diff voltages etc).

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If it seems that way my hunch is because the people that do have that amazing, quit-after-first vape experience are much vocal compared to those that don't. The rest of us, and I'd veture to say that's the majority keep more quiet about it because we are still trying to get there and are wondering what we are doing wrong or what's different about us.
Check this out and draw your own conclusions...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/polls/80124-how-long-did-take-you-stop-smoking.html

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
At best, I really just feel statements like yours are unnecessarily discouraging to people like the OP. I know I found them that way in the beginning.
I disagree, and responded because I thought the statement being made was discouraging.
I felt it might have even made the OP give up and stop trying.

How many people would really stick with this if they thought it wouldn't take the cravings away?

I did, however, go back and re-read my post and realize that I should have said something different...
I should have used the words "once they get it working for them" rather than "from their first vape".

Last edited:

MustQuitNow

May 1, 2011
Delaware USA
What is your goal in taking up vaping?
--Stop smoking cigarettes
--Stop using nicotine completely
--Stop the "smoking" habit completely

I'm guessing from your statement that it is the latter?

all 3 really, but if I could start with "Stop smoking cigarettes", and then ease into "Stop using nicotine completely", then it would be easy to "Stop the "smoking" habit completely"

MustQuitNow

May 1, 2011
Delaware USA
So much information and so much to learn is very daunting.

To recap where I am now...

I am committed to stop smoking cigarettes. It hurts me in so many ways. It is also a habit of over 40 years that I really have not paid much attention to.

I do not smoke inside anywhere and this includes my house. I do not want to 'vape' inside either.

To vape successfully requires 1. correct setup 2. correct way of inhaling. I am not clear on whether I am doing either properly. When I use the 510, it is deliberate (as opposed to only giving a minor thought to reaching for a cigarette and lighter). When I use the 510, I have to remember to push the button, wait 2 seconds before inhaling, remember to inhale slowly and then release the button (still don't know how much to inhale or for how long). But I get a bunch of vape into my mouth (and do I let it go into my lungs or just swish it around my mouth like it was a cigar?) and it does not seem like it is taking any urges to smoke an a-cig.

I want this to work.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
all 3 really, but if I could start with "Stop smoking cigarettes", and then ease into "Stop using nicotine completely", then it would be easy to "Stop the "smoking" habit completely"
If you're ulitimate goal is to stop the smoking habit completely I can see why you would be concerned about the paraphernalia.

But the path you laid out is a good one, and will almost certainly work for you up through the first two steps.
The problem might come in that last step, because for many it wasn't as much about the nicotine as they thought it was.

Many people have gotten down to zero nicotine, but I haven't heard of many people that stopped vaping.
But maybe they just aren't around here talking about it since they've stopped.
:)

lemonshrew

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2011
A, A
Erfmann, it makes sense and I realize there will be a learning curve to come up to speed. But, that kinda segues into my nagging thought which is it seems the e-cig culture is very happily dependent on so much and so varied paraphernalia. As a recovering addict/alcoholic for over 26 years, I find a lot of this very reminiscent of an era that I chose not to embrace. And it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Different setups work for different people. Having said that, if you are like my husband, the "varied paraphernalia" was a big turn-off for him as well. He doesn't care how it works, or why. It just needs to work.

We started with a simple little KR808 kit with prefilled cartomizers. There was no learning curve involved. Just screw it in and vape. (There is a wide variety of prefilled flavors available at places like vapor4life.com.)

I think, had it not been for the simplicity of it my husband would have given up long ago.

Since then I have moved on to buying juice and filling carto's etc. I have enjoyed learning how it's done.

Prefilled cartomizers may not be the most cost efficient, but they are still WAY cheaper than analogs, and really easy.

I quit analogs 3 days after we got our first kit. My husband still smokes, but has cut way down. I am happy with both results.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Today is a new day, and hopefully the next go at it will be much better. Don't worry about smoking while you're finding your way because odds are that once you find the thing that works for you, you will forget about cigarettes.

I think there are many people who went with a vapor4life or Bloog system and didn't branch out into the paraphernalia world. They charge batteries and top-off prefilled cartomizers, and toss them when they are shot. That's as close to smoking as it gets.

Some of the mods can be very simple too, such as the REO. It doesn't have to be a hobby, it can just be a replacement for cigarettes - the beginning issue is finding what works for you. The distraction of looking for a better way of doing this sometimes helps people get through the transition too.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
MQN, welcome. This isn't really as hard as it *sounds* like it is. You have a great battery and you have cartomizers. So, in a nutshell:

Vape by drawing the vapor into your mouth, then pull it into your lungs. A nice slow steady pull is what you want, not short quick ones like cigarettes.

Take a new cartomizer and before you do anything else, blow thru it into a tissue. Sometimes, when new, they have a "primer" liquid in them that tastes awful. After you do that, pull the white plug out and slowly drip around 15-20 drops, the top looks sort of like a slushy when its full. You may get a bit out the "battery" end, if so, wipe that off with a tissue. Now put the plug back in, give it about 10 minutes to permeate the filling, then put it on your battery.

When you notice the vapor level or flavor dropping off, top off the carto just like you filled it, but it won't take as many drops.

Note that sometimes the cartos are defective and won't work. When you first fill them you can hear a quiet *sizzle* when you press the button. This is normal and means its heating the liquid. If you don't' get any sound at all and no vapor, try cleaning (with a tissue) the battery connection on the battery and the cartomizer.

Addendum: You *can* push the button before you start to draw, but you don't have to. Its a good idea to continue your draw for a second or two after you release the button, but again, not necessary. And remember, into your mouth, then into your lungs after you release the button.

Don't worry too much about the all the stuff you *could* buy, you've got everything you need, the batteries will last for months and as others have said, cartomizers are usually good for 5-20 refills before you replace them. Once you get this all working, be sure to stock up on cartomizers and liquid so you don't run out. (The only things you have to keep buying)

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
But I get a bunch of vape into my mouth (and do I let it go into my lungs or just swish it around my mouth like it was a cigar?) and it does not seem like it is taking any urges to smoke an a-cig.

I want this to work.

You can do either because the nicotine is getting absorbed through mucous membranes. There's no right way, just whatever works. The main thing is to try to be calm when you are starting and draw in slowly, which feels impossible when you're trying to work through a nicotine fit, but you figure it out pretty fast.

Right now, I am using cartomizers on a PV like yours, and I have two drip tips on two cartomizers. One cartomizer is a Boge regular and I use that for letting the vapor kind of float around in my mouth. The other is a lower resistant Boge 2.0 and I use that one when I need to inhale deeper and get the feeling of a real cigarette.

I am going through a lot of juice, 5 ml a day, 18 mg. I'm also not very skilled at making a cartomizer last, I can get about 10 ml through one before I throw it away. Like you, I just want something that works, and works consistently. I don't want to fiddle around with cleaning cartomizers and getting a few of them to work again, and I never ever want to experience that burnt cartomizer thing again.

You can do this! A month, or less, from now you'll be telling others the same thing.

joeman

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Babson Park, Fla
Must quit, welcome, I'm a noob to this site but not to vaping. 11 months now analog free!!! It is a learning curve we all have gone through. I look at my pv when having probs. 1 the batt. is it charged? 2. is the carto full and then 3 is my atty working. You started out right in getting a good pv off the git. I however didn't but got off analogs. Remember attys need a breakin time and won't usually start working for 20 to 30 puffs and sometimes longer. Its good you got the 510 atty and can direct drip 4 drops or so and vap until batt. #2 is charging. Sometimes fill your carto and let it sit for awhile and all will be well. I found by going to the supplier forum above is a good place to start as it will address your pv and its components. Keep your threads clean and stay off the analogs!! Hope I've helped.

Bobbye

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
DE
I am downstate, in Lewes

If you want to get together in the middle someplace let me know. I use a KR808 and have found I really don't want to get into the bigger systems with a lot to worry about. I'm happy with my cartos and mindlessness of the system. I do fill them with juice I purchase but have also used the pre-filled Vapor4Life cartos.

I didn't immediately quit smoking, stupid me had a few new cartons when I started. It took me a few months to finish them off (I was smoking fewer and fewer by the day) and i finally threw away the last few packs and haven't looked back.

Last edited:

joeman

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Babson Park, Fla
I agree with pigskin, I did find early on when I went up in mgs. I felt a dry throat hit and it looks like 24 mg. is your lowest. You can get some glycerin at wallly world and add a few drops to your cart. comdom stir with drops of your juiceand then load and see if it helps. Sounds like your not getting enough juice in the carto. And as someone previously said the primer fluid on your atty's will taste nasty unless you blow it out and add a drop or 2 of juice to the atty bridge before proceeding to vape. Good luck and thanks to all who have helped me!!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
So much information and so much to learn is very daunting.

To recap where I am now...

I am committed to stop smoking cigarettes. It hurts me in so many ways. It is also a habit of over 40 years that I really have not paid much attention to.

I do not smoke inside anywhere and this includes my house. I do not want to 'vape' inside either.

To vape successfully requires 1. correct setup 2. correct way of inhaling. I am not clear on whether I am doing either properly. When I use the 510, it is deliberate (as opposed to only giving a minor thought to reaching for a cigarette and lighter). When I use the 510, I have to remember to push the button, wait 2 seconds before inhaling, remember to inhale slowly and then release the button (still don't know how much to inhale or for how long). But I get a bunch of vape into my mouth (and do I let it go into my lungs or just swish it around my mouth like it was a cigar?) and it does not seem like it is taking any urges to smoke an a-cig.

I want this to work.

I haven't read all of the responses, so sorry if someone already said this.
I too smoked for over 40 years....thinking back, when I started, I coughed a lot also....then I found vg... maybe if you start with that at least you can get past the harsheness of pg/throat hit.....
Since nic in liquid is absorbed differently than a smoke that is why you don't feel something immediately.....think of it this way..
cig smoke shot of whiskey
ecig beer.
both get you drunk but one takes more and longer .
and you need to not push yourself....it is a process, your learned to smoke.....you will learn to vape.....on your time....whatever it takes for you.......
i smoked cigs because I was addicted....i now vape because it is so enjoyable.....you will get there......patience..
:)

joeman

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Babson Park, Fla
Thanks all for the encouragement. I will try something like the KR808 kit with prefilled cartomizers, as well as continue with what I have. I really do *want* to stop these regular cigarettes.
You can if I did, I smoked 1 to 2 paks a day for 43 years and to say this will help you quit would just be a lie but it works for me!!! I'm still an addict to nicotene but feel healthier and noone has objected to my vaping at work or anywhere else. Do vape in your house as its only vapor. One of the trillion benefits to vaping. I started with a brand I won't mention but it was a 3 pc unit with batt, atty's and prefilled carts and not cartos and this worked great for me at first. No guess work!! I've moved on to a bigger batt system and now refill my carts and enjoy it. I also use cartos but have had some probs. with them until someone told me about the I guess new 510 joye cartos and I'm in love!! I do not work for a supplier!!

Last edited:

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
I did, however, go back and re-read my post and realize that I should have said something different...
I should have used the words "once they get it working for them" rather than "from their first vape".

Yeah that's better. To the OP I think you'll be fine especially once you get some more gear and some more experience. I would also add it would probably be helpful to stop putting so much pressure on yourself (starting with your nickname! hee hee). The fact that you do really want to quit smoking combined with an e-cig you actually enjoy (you'll find them!) leaves me feeling pretty confident about your chances. Hell, I don't even really want to quit it's more like a have to based on (probably near) future health (or lack thereof as it were) and $9 packs. But now that Im finally really digging vaping Im already smoking a lot less without even trying.

Sure I now wish I had been at this point in early 2009 when I first learned of them but I'm just happy it's finally "clicking" for me now. As such, stop being so hard on yourself and so what if you end up smoking another pack or five of Marlboro Lights until you get an ecig you love? Imagine where'd you'd be if PVs didn't exist at all! Smoking 5000 packs that's where. But if you really can't stand to smoke even one more then maybe you should also try a patch or something in addition in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread