first mech mod, plz help with battery selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I have decided on the tree of life mechanical mod.
$30.61 Tree Of Life Style Mechanical Mods - 18350/18500/18650 / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
(but may get it from USA vendor cuz im impatient, lol)
It is a beauty!!! I have read a lot on batteries and safety but still am a little unsure of what would be best so, if I can get a little help, I would really appreciate it!

I am not sure if I need flat top or button top batteries. I know they need to be protected batteries...
I already have two of these (unsure if they're protected or not)

Panasonic NCR 18650PF 2900mah Battery

which I have used in my smoktech sid. Wondering if they would be suitable for a mechanical mod? was told by baditude they weren't the best for my sid, so I got this one shortly after.

http://rtdvapor.com/index.php/batteries/panasonic-high-drain-ncr18650pf-hybrid-2900mah-flat-top.html

Can that be used in my mechanical mod? If at all possible, I'd like 18500 & 18650 options. I do not plan to do much sub ohm vaping, mostly 1.5 range... But if I go lower, maybe 1.0 or 1.2 ohm knowing what a better choice would be helpful for the future :)

Thank you!!!!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have read a lot on batteries and safety but still am a little unsure of what would be best so, if I can get a little help, I would really appreciate it!

I am not sure if I need flat top or button top batteries. I know they need to be protected batteries...

which I have used in my smoktech sid. Wondering if they would be suitable for a mechanical mod? was told by baditude they weren't the best for my sid,...
Are you sure I said that? :unsure: Link please!

You have provided links to the very same battery - Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900 mAh 10 amp, just from different vendors.

so I got this one shortly after.

Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900 mAh

Can that be used in my mechanical mod? If at all possible, I'd like 18500 & 18650 options. I do not plan to do much sub ohm vaping, mostly 1.5 range... But if I go lower, maybe 1.0 or 1.2 ohm knowing what a better choice would be helpful for the future :)

Thank you!!!!

This battery is the same as the first. This battery is the cream of the crop with the highest mAh rating available for a high-drain, safe-chemistry IMR/hybrid battery. This battery does come in a protected & un-protected version (the vendor will state if it is protected or not). You don't want to use a protected battery in a regulated mod.

Since this battery is a safe-chemistry battery, it doesn't really need protection if used in a mechanical mod.

Now, since you are asking if it can be used in a mechanical mod, the answer is yes it can. Just don't go over the battery's 10 amp limit when using sub-ohm coils. If you don't know how to figure that out, then you need to not be doing sub-ohms. Ohm's Law Calculator

* If you plan on doing sub-ohm coils (0.2 - 0.8 ohm), I recommend using the Sony 2600mAh 30 amp batteries. They will have 300 mAh less than the Panasonic 2900mAh, but have the extra amp capacity to safely run sub ohm < 0.8 ohm.

** I have been critical of using the NCR18650A 3100mAh and NCR18650B 3400mAh batteries in mods. These two batteries are not a high-drain battery and should only be used in low drain applications like a flashlight, not in mods.

*** Unless the mod manufacturer specifically states whether to use flat or button-top batteries, it shouldn't matter which of the two you use.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I have decided on the tree of life mechanical mod.
$30.61 Tree Of Life Style Mechanical Mods - 18350/18500/18650 / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
(but may get it from USA vendor cuz im impatient, lol)
It is a beauty!!! I have read a lot on batteries and safety but still am a little unsure of what would be best so, if I can get a little help, I would really appreciate it!

which I have used in my smoktech sid. Wondering if they would be suitable for a mechanical mod? was told by baditude they weren't the best for my sid, so I got this one shortly after.

Thank you!!!!
description on ft says both flat and button ok;
even for people who don't want to wait on fasttech their site sure is helpful.
Power & Batteries
Battery Type Interchangeable
Supports Button Top Battery Yes
Supports Flat Top Battery Yes

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
I have read a lot on batteries and safety but still am a little unsure of what would be best

vjdossey, when I made the decision to start rebuilding and buying mechanical mods...I researched battery safety for about two months. I read every post/article I could find, and then read them again. I talked to all the local shop owners who dealt in mechanicals, as well as people who were experienced users. Then I read some more.

There are numerous high quality batteries that in the right device are perfectly safe. A guy who owns a Provari/Sigelei/Vamo is in a completely different market for batteries than a guy with a mechanical. The battery is the only safety feature one has, when not using a Kick or vape safe fuse. Though you may not plan on sub-ohm vaping, trust me you will.(at least a few times) Even if you wrap at 1.1 ohm as I do, you'll still want as much head-room as you can get.

Read Baditudes battery blogs, they were a huge help to me personally. The Candle Power Forum is a good resource for battery info also.

As I said previously, grab some Sony VTC5 batteries. You won't have to worry about it!

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
First, my apologies if I misunderstood something, it wouldn't be the first time. However, hers a link to.the thread and conversation I am referring to.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/487220-18650-battery-question-5.html
****[And the battery I was referring to is NCR18650B a 3400 mah battery. Low amp I believe 6.8???]****

Please know, I do everything from my phone, not a pc and I'm confused as to why my battery links came up identical- one is from panda e cigs and the other was from RTD... Both are green batteries, with different #'s. I cannot find the first battery I got on pandas site because they do not carry it anymore. Maybe the first thread you were.helping me in will point you to the battery I asked you about some time ago. ***[ it is the NCR18650B 3400 mah ]***
Heres a link to the one you (baditude) suggested... And the one I use now...

I hope this helps clear the air a little? Again, I.apologize if I misunderstood...

I am now going to reread all the info you all provided here. I will NOT sub ohm vape, unless something in my brain 'clicks' and I have a better/clearer understanding of the ohm's law... Thanks again!!!

Are you sure I said that? :unsure: Link please!

You have provided links to the very same battery - Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900 mAh 10 amp, just from different vendors.

This battery is the same as the first. This battery is the cream of the crop with the highest mAh rating available for a high-drain, safe-chemistry IMR/hybrid battery. This battery does come in a protected & un-protected version (the vendor will state if it is protected or not). You don't want to use a protected battery in a regulated mod.

Since this battery is a safe-chemistry battery, it doesn't really need protection if used in a mechanical mod.

Now, since you are asking if it can be used in a mechanical mod, the answer is yes it can. Just don't go over the battery's 10 amp limit when using sub-ohm coils. If you don't know how to figure that out, then you need to not be doing sub-ohms. Ohm's Law Calculator

* If you plan on doing sub-ohm coils (0.2 - 0.8 ohm), I recommend using the Sony 2600mAh 30 amp batteries. They will have 300 mAh less than the Panasonic 2900mAh, but have the extra amp capacity to safely run sub ohm < 0.8 ohm.

** I have been critical of using the NCR18650A 3100mAh and NCR18650B 3400mAh batteries in mods. These two batteries are not a high-drain battery and should only be used in low drain applications like a flashlight, not in mods.

*** Unless the mod manufacturer specifically states whether to use flat or button-top batteries, it shouldn't matter which of the two you use.

Last edited:

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Headroom, I like that... lol-seriously... As I've been practicing my building I find that one more turn on a rda screw can change the resistance on my coils so having a safety net is a good idea!!! I will continue to read-learn and as to maintain saftey. I am scared of explosions... I wonder once I get this mech how long I'll let it be a decoration on my desk? Maybe I will order from fasttech-giving myself a couple more weeks to study some more...
Lol... Thanks again everyone, you all are so helpful!!!
vjdossey, when I made the decision to start rebuilding and buying mechanical mods...I researched battery safety for about two months. I read every post/article I could find, and then read them again. I talked to all the local shop owners who dealt in mechanicals, as well as people who were experienced users. Then I read some more.

There are numerous high quality batteries that in the right device are perfectly safe. A guy who owns a Provari/Sigelei/Vamo is in a completely different market for batteries than a guy with a mechanical. The battery is the only safety feature one has, when not using a Kick or vape safe fuse. Though you may not plan on sub-ohm vaping, trust me you will.(at least a few times) Even if you wrap at 1.1 ohm as I do, you'll still want as much head-room as you can get.

Read Baditudes battery blogs, they were a huge help to me personally. The Candle Power Forum is a good resource for battery info also.

As I said previously, grab some Sony VTC5 batteries. You won't have to worry about it!

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee

wise words...why worry? get the sony's from a reputable vendor and you won't have to...

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
okay guys... I have read that we should steer clear of anything that has the name 'fire' in it -however the charger I have is a trustfire- multifunctional...
Anyone want to point me to a better charger?

I've decided on these batteries

http://rtdvapor.com/index.php/batteries/sony-us18650vtc5-2600mah-30amp.html

Still gotta pick out some 18500 or 18350 so I want a charger that is most versatile, without costing an arm-n-leg :)

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ok here's a really stupid question for the more experienced, so I apologize in advance. Why a mech over a regulated devise like a SID or the new 7/22?

A mech with a kick and fuse is versatile; right now my vamo is down because it's got a center pin problem and it's 'press fit' so I can't just unscrew the thing open to fix it, and it's probably a simple fix if I could open open the darn thing.
I'm still looking for a versatile mech that would be easy to fix and take whatever battery combinations I throw at it and hopefully be able to take a control head.

jwag1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Saint Louis, MO.
Great choice vjdossey! I'm glad you went with the Sony's! I recommended them because I feel like they are some of the best, if not the best battery for a mechanical. The price is right too! Now you can have the peace of mind, knowing you've got a battery that can handle super low to standard ohm coils, in spades! Congrats on the batteries, excellent choice!

elprup7

Apr 29, 2014
Baltimore
as for chargers there are two ways too look at them. The ones with lower mAh output(longer charging time)will supposedly give your batteries a fuller charge, where as the ones with higher mAh output(shorter charging time)will not charge you battery as full. Also, the batteries are supposed to last longer before going bad using lower mAh chargers. I personally see no noticeable difference in chargers besides charge time of course.

elprup7

Apr 29, 2014
Baltimore
Ok here's a really stupid question for the more experienced, so I apologize in advance. Why a mech over a regulated devise like a SID or the new 7/22?

The only real advantage in using a mech mod as opposed to a regulated mod is that you can do sub-ohm(<1) coils. That and the fact that there are only the contacts(where the battery touches)and the firing pin that can go bad on mech's. If a regulated device goes bad it can be an innumerable number of things including shorts in the regulating chip itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread