First Mechanical Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
Ofc, I've realized now that I really should not listen to vape youtubers/reddit comments. I'm now going to use a single 0.2 Ohm coil instead.
I really think that’s a smart move. And if it doesn’t hit hard enough, come here and there’s plenty of heavy hitters that will be willing to help you get it figured out.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
You're pushing the cell very hard at .1ohm. You won't get the full 4.2V on a .1ohm setup though. Due to battery sag the highest voltage you will get is 3.8V for about 1 puff. After that the voltage will decrease even more. And that quite rapidly.
That means you're technically inside the amp limit of your 30T as long as the cell is fresh.
But as the cell ages, the CDR of the cell decreases, so after only a few recharge cycles you won't be inside the CDR anymore.
If you aim for a slightly higher resistance of .12-.15ohm, you'll not only benefit from a higher safety margin, but you'll get longer vaping time and largely increased cycle life from your 30Ts as well.

Or in short: vaping on a .1 ohm setup is possible, but stupid.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
You're pushing the cell very hard at .1ohm. You won't get the full 4.2V on a .1ohm setup though. Due to battery sag the highest voltage you will get is 3.8V for about 1 puff. After that the voltage will decrease even more. And that quite rapidly.
That means you're technically inside the amp limit of your 30T as long as the cell is fresh.
But as the cell ages, the CDR of the cell decreases, so after only a few recharge cycles you won't be inside the CDR anymore.
If you aim for a slightly higher resistance of .12-.15ohm, you'll not only benefit from a higher safety margin, but you'll get longer vaping time and largely increased cycle life from your 30Ts as well.

Or in short: vaping on a .1 ohm setup is possible, but stupid.
He'll only 3.8 at all if he uses a mech with a stupid low voltage drop. For 21700, it's almost impossible to beat the Vindicator. That said, why does anyone want to vape at 150W or so, anyway? At some point, the heat is going to get quite uncomfortable. Like the first hit. I'm kind of surprised that nobody has scorched a lung yet.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I'm so glad that you asked on this thread because while maybe nothing would have happened maybe a lot of problems would have happened and you could have ended up on the news. I'm glad that you got good advice from people that really know their stuff. When it comes to mechs the first person I think of is going to be @Don29palms. I'm 100% positive there's plenty of other people but that's one person that I know has always given advice based on factual info

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
There are 4 mech mods sitting on my desk right now. (3 Caravelas' & a Mako Midi)
And they seem to work just fine at 2.0 ohms instead of 0.2 ohms.

If you want to do ultra sub ohm, use a mod that was designed to do it safely !!! (and that is NOT a mechanical mod)
What is ultra sub ohm?

• Disagree
Reactions: Javichu

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    What is ultra sub ohm?

Anything below 0.5 ohms will NEVER be safe on a mechanical mod! But, they do make plenty of regulated mods specifically for that purpose.

Personally, I never go below 1.0 ohms with a mechanical.
    Just because a battery has a 30 amp CDR when new doesn't mean that it will have that capacity later. As the MaH of the battery becomes less ... the CDR also becomes less.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Anything below 0.5 ohms will NEVER be safe on a mechanical mod! But, they do make plenty of regulated mods specifically for that purpose.

Just because a battery has a 30 amp CDR when new doesn't mean that it will have that capacity later. As the MaH of the battery becomes less ... the CDR also becomes less.
    0.5 ohms isn't even 9 amps. There are plenty of batteries that will SAFELY supply much more than that. While you may not be comfortable under 0.5 ohms, that doesn't make it unsafe.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    0.5 ohms isn't even 9 amps. There are plenty of batteries that will SAFELY supply much more than that. While you may not be comfortable under 0.5 ohms, that doesn't make it unsafe.

8.4 amps is a perfectly safe place to use a mechanical mod with a year old battery,
    Anything much above that is not.

Be safe with mechanical mods, or don't use them at all.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca

Please stop with the BS.
    8.4 amps is a perfectly safe place to use a mechanical mod with a year old battery,
    Anything much above that is not.

Be safe with mechanical mods, or don't use them at all.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Please just stop.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Please stop with the BS.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Please just stop.

Been using mechanical mods for over 9 years now, and have never had any sort of problem.
    (might be a reason for that)
    SO..... I DO know what I'm talking about!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread