First Mechanical Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The easiest way to vape those 0.1Ω coils are on a regulated device.
WIN_20200228_14_20_47_Pro.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
and I vape all my mechanicals with 1.6 ohm coils (2.625 amp) SAFELY ;)

and, even that, is 0.125 amp more than an early Provari's amp limit.

Unfamiliar with the Provari you are referring to. But the amp limit is at the coil, not the battery. If the current limit is 2.5 amps, a 2.4 ohm coil at 6 volts would meet this limit at the coil. The result is 15 watts which the device is unable to exceed. However, battery drain with this setting would be over 5 amps with a typical 3.2 volt cut off.

Also – a 2.6 amp draw with a mech assumes your battery is able to handle that current even after degradation. If you are using a 20 amp cell, then we can say you are mitigating risk with that current draw. But if you are using a 5 amp cell, then degradation can still pose a risk. You claim 8.5 amps (a 0.5 ohm coil) poses a higher risk. So if you feel a 20 amp cell can degrade to the point where 8.5 amps poses a risk, then the same theory can be applied to a cell of low CDR with low current draw usage.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Missed my point, my friend.
    What I said was that the 8.5 amp draw poses little to NO risk.
    This is assuming that the 20 amp cell has been through enough charge cycles that it now only has a 10 amp CDR. (time to toss it in the bin)

New batteries are not the problem with mechanicals, it's the older cell that can be a catastrophe.
    So the SAFE rule of thumb is to 'never' exceed 50% of a batteries CDR.

add:
    The Provari mentioned for reference was the V1 Provari (2.5 amp limiter)

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    What I said was that the 8.5 amp draw poses NO risk.
    There is always a lingering risk, doesn't matter if it's a mech or regulated and doesn't matter the amp draw, that's just the nature of the batteries we use. There is no such thing as zero risk vaping.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Missed my point, my friend.
    What I said was that the 8.5 amp draw poses little to NO risk.
    This is assuming that the 20 amp cell has been through enough charge cycles that it now only has a 10 amp CDR. (time to toss it in the bin)

New batteries are not the problem with mechanicals, it's the older cell that can be a catastrophe.
    So the SAFE rule of thumb is to 'never' exceed 50% of a batteries CDR.

add:
    The Provari mentioned for reference was the V1 Provari (2.5 amp limiter)

You said anything under 0.5 ohms will never be safe. So that eludes 8.4 amps is the limit and anything above poses a risk. Sorry if I did not dig that deep into the details.

My post was based on your theory but gave a different perspective. Let me rephrase - If 0.49 ohms poses a risk due to degradation, then the same theory must be applied to all resistances while using all CDR ratings. I am sure people use low CDR batteries with high resistance coils. If so, then the 0.5 ohm limit will pose the same risks as a 1.6 ohm coil with a 5 amp cell. Your 0.5 ohm limit is now moot.

Do you have concrete evidence that a 20amp call can degrade to the point where 8.39 amps draw becomes a higher risk?

And to add, the 2.5 amp Provari limit is at the coil. My example displays how 2.5 amp limit at the coil can draw over 5 amps at the battery. That’s how a regulated mod works.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    And to add, the 2.5 amp Provari limit is at the coil. My example displays how 2.5 amp limit at the coil can draw over 5 amps at the battery. That’s how a regulated mod works.

That Provari won't allow that.
    @ the 6v setting, it will stop firing that coil when the amps exceed 2.5. (need to turn the voltage down)
    Need to remember, that device was built around using standard resistance atties/cartomizers (3 ohm) (that's all there was when it was designed in late 2009)
    Rebuildable atties virtually didn't exist at that time.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Electrodave

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Way I look at it:

Just because a battery can put out 20-30 amps ..... doesn't mean it has to.

You’re right. It doesn’t mean it has to. But the risk of using a low resistance coil at the batteries limit also applies at using a high resistance coil at that batteries limit. So we can’t put a defined figure on coil resistance. The application as a whole needs to be analyzed in detail to determine whether resistance poses a risk or not.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    That Provari won't allow that.
    @ the 6v setting, it will stop firing that coil when the amps exceed 2.5. (need to turn the voltage down)
    Need to remember, that device was built around using standard resistance atties/cartomizers (3 ohm)
    Rebuildable atties virtually didn't exist at that time.

The Provari is a regulated device. 2.5 amps at the coil is not necessarily 2.5 amp draw at the battery. Every regulated device operates in the same fashion – newer devices have just scaled that current at the coil.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread