Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The easiest way to go about it is use a coil making app. It will do all the math for you and tell you how many coils at what size to get whichever resistance you want. There are lots of them for Android and PC, and one or 2 for iPhone. Free ones anyway. Somewhere around here there is a set of reviews of the various apps. I dunno where it is though. It didn’t matter for me. I got an iPhone. I gets what I gets.

Your minimum resistance shouldn’t matter. 26g is kind of thin for really low resistance coils. If you want to get into the .2ohm range you may have to do a twist coil. With single strand 26g kanthalA1 5 wraps on a 3mm mandrel will put you somewhere between .8 and .9ohm that’s getting into MTL territory. You could wrap the same thing as a parallel coil and get half that which would likely be a decent sub ohm vape.

JP818

Nov 11, 2018
Thank you! I just downloaded the Vape Tool app... I'm going to give 5 wraps a try just to see how it vapes... appreciate the feed back!

The easiest way to go about it is use a coil making app. It will do all the math for you and tell you how many coils at what size to get whichever resistance you want. There are lots of them for Android and PC, and one or 2 for iPhone. Free ones anyway. Somewhere around here there is a set of reviews of the various apps. I dunno where it is though. It didn’t matter for me. I got an iPhone. I gets what I gets.

Your minimum resistance shouldn’t matter. 26g is kind of thin for really low resistance coils. If you want to get into the .2ohm range you may have to do a twist coil. With single strand 26g kanthalA1 5 wraps on a 3mm mandrel will put you somewhere between .8 and .9ohm that’s getting into MTL territory. You could wrap the same thing as a parallel coil and get half that which would likely be a decent sub ohm vape.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
A general rule of thumb is five to eight wraps. The longer the wire(more wraps) the higher the resistance. But it also takes longer to ramp up. If you are using eight wraps and want more resistance, go up to the next gauge of wire. If you're using five wraps and want less resistance, go down to the next gauge of wire.

Personally, I stick to one number(five wraps) and just go up or down in gauge. Assuming you bought Kanthal A1. An inner diameter of 3mm wraped with three wraps produces 0.46 ohms(in theory). If I was you, I would just use five wraps. You're probably using variable wattage so it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. You can turn it up or down.

JP818

Nov 11, 2018
A general rule of thumb is five to eight wraps. The longer the wire(more wraps) the higher the resistance. But it also takes longer to ramp up. If you are using eight wraps and want more resistance, go up to the next gauge of wire. If you're using five wraps and want less resistance, go down to the next gauge of wire.

Personally, I stick to one number(five wraps) and just go up or down in gauge. Assuming you bought Kanthal A1. An inner diameter of 3mm wraped with three wraps produces 0.46 ohms(in theory). If I was you, I would just use five wraps. You're probably using variable wattage so it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. You can turn it up or down.
Ahh man! This helps out a lot! Thanks for the tip. I will deff try the 5 wraps. Cheer man!

JP818

Nov 11, 2018
Of course the question is what kind of vape experience are you looking for? What were you using before, and what did you like or dislike about it? Stuff like that is helpful to know to guide the type of build will give you a pleasurable vape experience.
More flavor fer sure. I was using same device X priv baby, with a baby beast tank and a sense herakles mesh tank... baby beast was a nightmare.. constant leaking, and the coils were a hit or miss. The sense tank has some awesome flavor, being mesh... But Ive heard nothing but good things about RDA's and the flavor.. I plan on eventually getting a squonk device but using what I have for now... Thanks!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
More flavor fer sure. I was using same device X priv baby, with a baby beast tank and a sense herakles mesh tank... baby beast was a nightmare.. constant leaking, and the coils were a hit or miss. The sense tank has some awesome flavor, being mesh... But Ive heard nothing but good things about RDA's and the flavor.. I plan on eventually getting a squonk device but using what I have for now... Thanks!
A squonk RDA wont wildly outperform a good mesh coil tank. They can produce denser clouds, they hold more juice, and they’re vastly cheaper to run though.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You can start out with a simple round wrap and see how it goes. Your mod goes up to 80W so keeping your build simple means you'll get way longer runtime from the built in battery. As with any rebuildable, double check your coil wrapping for resistance both by calculation (steam engine is your friend) and of course on the mod, before use.

If that isn't giving you the kind of vape you want then more elaborate builds might be helpful but I wouldn't jump right to a fused Clapton until you see how the rda performs for you.

JP818

Nov 11, 2018
You can start out with a simple round wrap and see how it goes. Your mod goes up to 80W so keeping your build simple means you'll get way longer runtime from the built in battery. As with any rebuildable, double check your coil wrapping for resistance both by calculation (steam engine is your friend) and of course on the mod, before use.

If that isn't giving you the kind of vape you want then more elaborate builds might be helpful but I wouldn't jump right to a fused Clapton until you see how the rda performs for you.
Thank you for the advice. I will deff checj out the calculator you had mentioned.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Min Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
.05 is likely the cutoff for temp control only and the cuttoff for other modes would be higher, ptobably .1 ohm. Do you know about different wire types? Kanthal cannot be used in tc, you probably know this but some overlook it.

Reactions: JP818

Mike F

Apr 28, 2018
Alright people, got my RDA. It's a Drop single coil paired with my Smok X Priv baby. I got 26g Kanthal, which was recommended by a few people on this forum... how many wraps do you recommend? My mods description says:
  • Min Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
I'm a newbie so go easy on me.

Thanks guys!
5 to 7 times. Use special tool. Using something to big to wrap with can cause dry hits as i found out

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Alright people, got my RDA. It's a Drop single coil paired with my Smok X Priv baby. I got 26g Kanthal, which was recommended by a few people on this forum... how many wraps do you recommend? My mods description says:
  • Min Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
I'm a newbie so go easy on me.

Thanks guys!
Wondering how you made out?

JP818

Nov 11, 2018
Wondering how you made out?
Little confused , honestly. So, I used 24g instead with 6 wraps, 3mm inner and when I go to use it it gives me the usual "new atty" "old atty" , but the ohms reading is displays is 0.213... when I should be in the 0.6 range bases on the calculator I used? Heres a pic of the installation... I haven't fired it yet because of the ohms reading.. also need to cut the tag ends, but wasnt sure If I should yet for adjustment purposes??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181121-152715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181121-152715_Gallery.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 25

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Little confused , honestly. So, I used 24g instead with 6 wraps, 3mm inner and when I go to use it it gives me the usual "new atty" "old atty" , but the ohms reading is displays is 0.213... when I should be in the 0.6 range bases on the calculator I used? Heres a pic of the installation... I haven't fired it yet because of the ohms reading.. also need to cut the tag ends, but wasnt sure If I should yet for adjustment purposes??

Your picture shows 5.5 wraps – a full wraps means the leads are facing the opposite direction. Still doesn’t come out to 0.213 ohms but worth noting none the less.

The coil calculator will never exactly mimic your coil for there are way too many variables - however, it should come close assuming you are using the same gauge and type of wire. Do you have another device to verify your build? If your device does not indicate a short, and your resistance is within it's operational range, you are safe to use it.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
pink in drublic is right, that's safe. For your next build try 7 wraps, your resistance will go up. It looks like you're ready to wick with cotton and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread