Fix for stuck on/off batteries!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
My 901 auto battery was stuck on, and following a forum member's advice, I went out and got some PGA to soak it. I googled around to see if I could find some more specific instructions on how soaking it (how long, etc.), and I came across a gem- unfold a paperclip and stick it all the way through the battery. I did it, it tripped the switch, and now it works again!! When my replacement batteries come, I'll probably soak it just to get the gunk off, but this 10 second fix will at least keep me from resorting to analogs for the next couple days. BOOYAH!!

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
This is for the manual M401 battery? As far as I understand it, the paperclip trick works on autos because the "switch" is down that little hole. This is likely not the case on an auto- I doubt anything you put in the hole will fix that problem, including alcohol. Maybe rip open the chassis and take a peak?

kylecoberly

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
www.facesofradio.com
Well, the way I look at it- you currently have a worthless battery that the quick fixes didn't do anything for. Ripping it open has a likelihood of messing it up for good, but there's also a pretty good chance it's already messed up for good. Worst case scenario, you mess up a working battery, but you find out a little more about how it works. Medium case scenario, the battery is screwed, but you find out a little more about how it works. Best case scenario, you see something that's easily fixable, and you find out a little more about how it works. Really not a terrible scenario in the lot. Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread