Flat/ribbon wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I use rectangle wire that is .9mm x .3mm. It is basically thick ribbon wire. It is comparable to running triple 28g parallel coils. The difference is it is much easier to work with. A single coil 8 wraps 3mm id will be approx. .5ohm using nichrome 80 rectangle wire. IN MY OPINION the rakp up time is much faster and I find I use a lower wattage to get the same amount of vapor. My go to coils are nichrome 80 rectangle wire claptoned with SS316L 36g, 6 wraps, 3mm id. Duals come out to .15 ohms.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I use rectangle wire that is .9mm x .3mm. It is basically thick ribbon wire. It is comparable to running triple 28g parallel coils. The difference is it is much easier to work with. A single coil 8 wraps 3mm id will be approx. .5ohm using nichrome 80 rectangle wire. IN MY OPINION the rakp up time is much faster and I find I use a lower wattage to get the same amount of vapor. My go to coils are nichrome 80 rectangle wire claptoned with SS316L 36g, 6 wraps, 3mm id. Duals come out to .15 ohms.
Never heard of such stuff being available before. Everything I ever found was nearly tinsel.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Never heard of such stuff being available before. Everything I ever found was nearly tinsel.
I get mine from Kaybee vapors. I love it. Everyone I've made coils for loves them too.
I agree with you about the tinsel. The first ribbon wire I tried was .8mm x .1mm. It was very thin and a PITA to work with.
Next time I need wire I'm going to try the square wire. That might be interesting.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I'm a huge fan of the 0.9x0.3mm wire @Don29palms is talking about. Saw him mention it in a few threads here and figured I'd check it out. Picked a spool of it up from kaybeevapes as well.

I've been running this 7 wraps @ 3mm and the Ni80 comes out to about 0.4ohm for a single coil. Heats up quickly, and produces a lot of vapor at lower wattages than I have to use with other wire.

I've been using this for several months now and it's pretty much all I've been running in my DTL setups since first trying it.

If you're wanting to try flat wire builds but want something easier to work with, give this a try. It's much easier to handle than I thought it would be. Other ribbon wire I've tried is like 'tinsel' as mentioned. Was pretty excited when I saw Don post about this wire and have been pleased with it. Pretty easy to wrap/coil and holds up very well.

I've since picked up another spool of the Ni80, and also the SS316L. The SS316L will work out well in single coil setups for me, but obviously ohms out a good bit lower. The Ni80 is just about perfect for me, I like 0.3 to 0.5 ohms on a single coil setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread