Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

linnx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Washington USA
www.ecigexpress.com
I've been told by manufacturers that placing them in the freezer or fridge will extend the shelf life. I know when I place my nic in the freezer it definitely slows the oxidation, so the same should be true.

Thanks

How can we extend the shelf life of flavorings? Refrigerate or freeze?

ctippen

Mar 29, 2013
United States
PGVG_freeze.jpg

This is a small vial of both PG and VG that has been in the freezer for 16 hours. Each was filled with 5ml and as you can see, there is no expansion of the fluid. The line indicates the fill line to determine how much the fluid might expand. Neither the PG or VG froze. Yes, they got very thick but never froze. Freezer Temp 27.7 F Hope this helps.

Will try some regular flavors, but some flavors differ on ingredients, so I assume some will freeze and others will not.

Last edited:

ctippen

Mar 29, 2013
United States
IMG_20140123_143651.jpg IMG_20140123_143619.jpg

The above flavors were in the freezer over 24 hours. As you can see, these are not frozen and the fluid is still on the fill lines.
TE = tobacco Evolution
7L = Seven Leaves
CC = Caramel Clear

This is not saying that no flavor concentrate will freeze. These did not freeze but they were thick. The above flavors are from ExcigExpress placed in 8ml vials with 5ml in each. So if you decide to freeze your juice, just leave a little room for possibly some expansion.

fogMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I would love it of flavoring lasted 2 years. However, other sources I've heard from (E.g. TFA) say that shelf life is between 6 and 12 months. Others say that it depends on the individual flavoring, someone saying that Hangsen tobaccos will last 2 years. Finally, I've heard that the nature of the container is also a factor as well as how often the container is opened.

I've had most of my flavorings for about 6-8 months now and I'll be curious to see how they fare after another 6 months or so. I expect they'll slowly fade out and I'll need to up the percentage of some/most/all my recipes over time. I'm also budgeting for the prospect of replacing them within a year or so, hopefully not much sooner than that. When I do replace, I think I'll split off half or so of each flavor into tightly capped glass vials and perhaps stick those into the fridge. (I've also heard that freezing can 'damage' some flavorings.) While the dropper bottles are convenient, I have to believe they let the flavoring out. Before I started keeping them in tight wooden boxes, my office would really reek of flavoring. That must mean that the essence of my flavorings ($$$) are fading away, drop by drop. Into the air means out of the bottle.

Sorry for all the "I think"s and "I heard"s, but those anecdotes and common sense are all I have to go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread