Flavor testing confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiManTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
TX
So... in an attempt to really get into learning percentages and flavor notes at those percentages, i am working on testing my flavors 1x1... i started doing this str8's way (20 drops pg, then 1 drop flavor = 5%, drip 3 drops, vape, add 2 drops pg + another drop flavor =10%, so on and so forth...)

here is my issue with this:

i know we are talking about miniscule amounts here, but that is almost entirely the point i am trying to make... how does 21 drops total = 5% flavor... then take some out, put some back in... etc etc... ever equal the percentage perceived? wouldn't it be more like:

setup a series of bottles (3ml should be fine for all), mix your pg/vg ratio (80/20, 70/30, 50/50, etc.) as a base, and then:

bottle 1. for 5% flavor

19 drops base, 1 drop flavor

bottle 2. for 7.5% flavor (if desired)

38 drops base, 3 drops flavor

bottle 3. for 10% flavor

18 drops base, 2 drops flavor

bottle 4. for 15% flavor

17 drops base, 3 drops flavor

etc etc. mix and match bottles and percentages as you see fit... but u get the idea

the reason i say this is 2 fold.... this is how our calculators are built (percentage of the total and not percentage added to a total base), and different base ratio's have different "sweet spot" percentages... 5% may be the sweet spot in 100% pg, but may not even be close to good at that range with 100% vg... this is also why i find it interesting that a lot of people post recipes without stating their blend percentages...

i made a recipe based off what someone had posted in my normal 70/30 blend... it was nasty... i pm'd them and asked what they blended at, they said 50/50... i tried again at 50/50, it was amazing... so there's something to that...

lastly... please do not see this as me trying to step on toes or anything of the like... this is just my observation...

Last edited:

Ghostrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Afghanistan
20 drops total......1 drop of flavor is 5% of 20 hence the 5% of flavor in the mix
20 drops total......2 drops of flavor is 10% of 20 hence the 10% of flavor in the mix
20 drops total......3 drops of flavor is 15% of 20 hence the 15% of flavor in the mix
20 drops total......3 drops of flavor is 20% of 20 hence the 20% of flavor in the mix
etc.

This formula is just to get a close rough idea of the flavor, not a final product. Make a 5 mil batch to taste the final product.

The example of blending 70pg/30vg or 50pg/50vg has only one effect on flavor....less. This is because VG mutes flavor.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Digi, you can do it any way that works for you. I can't see how that is stepping on any toes.

Now, I'm going to throw you for a bit here... My recipes work for me no matter what PG/VG ratio I use. The only reason I change them is really for very subtle things like the "feel" of the vapor with the flavor, the recipe increases or decreases the vapor output, or to put slight, very slight, tweaks in the sweetness. That is from observation, your taste may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread