Flavor %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
I just purchased some flavor concentrates and don't want to waste too much. Purchased from OSDIY, the following flavors, Strawberries and cream, sweet cream, dark rum, Irish cream. Already have the following flavors, Apple pie, orange cream, cinnamon, and whipped cream. I want to make a good tasting Strawberries and cream juice, and Irish cream juice. Any suggestions on mixing percentages for the flavors I have?

Twins Win

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2018
I just purchased some flavor concentrates and don't want to waste too much. Purchased from OSDIY, the following flavors, Strawberries and cream, sweet cream, dark rum, Irish cream. Already have the following flavors, Apple pie, orange cream, cinnamon, and whipped cream. I want to make a good tasting Strawberries and cream juice, and Irish cream juice. Any suggestions on mixing percentages for the flavors I have?
It would help if you listed the brands you have.

I've found for a good strawberries n cream, it helps to have a couple of individual strawberry flavors. Like TFA-Strawberry Ripe + CAP-Sweet Strawberry. I know that's not what you asked for, its just a tip.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
It would help if you listed the brands you have.

I've found for a good strawberries n cream, it helps to have a couple of individual strawberry flavors. Like TFA-Strawberry Ripe + CAP-Sweet Strawberry. I know that's not what you asked for, its just a tip.
All the flavorings I do have are from TFA , unfortunately the only strawberry I have is the strawberries and cream.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Twins Win

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2018
I'd keep the Strawberries and Cream around 6 to 8% with 1 to 2% of either Sweet or Whipped Cream.

If you want to try it alone, the average (On ELR) is 8.6% with the median (10%). I havent tried it, but some like it, and some think its garbage. I hope somebody that's tried that particular brand of SnC posts. I have Capella's version and it's less than stellar.

The Irish Cream has similar averages at ELR. Single Flavor - Average quantity: 8.9% (Median: 10.0%)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Flavor art's flavorings are pretty concentrated. I would start on the low side, personally.

I really can't tell you what to mix and in what percentages. All tongues differ. If you are coming from commercial juice, I'd guess an overall percentage of about 8--10%, and I'm still on the high side (for me, but I've been at DIY awhile, palates change.)

Choose a "dominant" flavor would be my advice, and make that your highest percentage. So pick a flavor that appeals. Then, start considering what you feel "may" add to your experience, and complement it. If you want a strawberry well, you're going to have to have the cream along with it. The good news is, that's not a disgusting flavor profile to many folks. Okay, so then what might complement that? A peach? A different fruit? Are you looking for any sour notes? Do you think you will need sweetener? Etc.

I started out the slow and laborious way. It's how I learned to cook, which is why I chose it. I started with small tester mixes of ONE flavor alone. I tasted it, so I could learn its "steep" time, and then I would combine single flavors in my tank. Not the ultimate BEST way to do it, but it gave me a sense of what I liked "with what."

If you have any actual "one shots" do a tester with those. The good news is one shots don't typically need much steeping if at all and it gives you something vapable while you are learning your other flavors.

Recommended percentages are "fine" to start with. You may find you need more flavor, but starting low, I can promise you, it's easier to add a bit more flavor than go down the dilution trail. Which I have done.

I also tried to fix every "failed" mix I encountered. It taught me a lot, even if my flavor remained, ultimately, a failure. I also, once I got a basic sense of flavorings, and how they combine, found my skills kind of "built" on themselves. If I have a flavor I know little to nothing about, I may still do a tester mix, because I need to "understand" how it tastes-- to me-- before I can have any success with it in a mix.

It's laborious, time intensive and hard at first, but as time has passed, I'm so glad I approached flavoring this way. I have never used a recipe (although I've READ a bunch) that wasn't self created, and I'm happy to say that. I'm no expert on flavorings, necessarily, and there are tons of folks who will be willing to help you out.

I mention my methods, not to say you HAVE to approach it that way, but you are sort of asking a question that can only be answered in generalities.

So my generalities: underflavoring is easier to cope with than overflavoring.
Small batches to start won't "waste" so many ingredients.
If your mix is a fail, try to fix it. You have nothing to lose, and plenty to gain.
Understand flavor blocks and how they interact
Write down everything.

Good luck!

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
All the flavorings I do have are from TFA , unfortunately the only strawberry I have is the strawberries and cream.

If they are all TFA Flavorings, I would start with 7% Total Flavorings.

Maybe a Tad more if you Like Strong e-Liquids. Maybe a Tad Less if you like Lighter ones.

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Cinnamon is definitely a strong one. One recipe I had trouble with was Apple pie. Started off with way too much cinnamon. Took your breath away, literally. I ended up trashing about 60ml, even after thinning it down 2 or 3 times.
Irish Cream is one of the strong ones (I use 1% in Caramel Cappuccino and Tiramisu). I'm guessing cinnamon is too but people love cinnamon and probably use it strong.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The best strawberry flavor is one of onestopdiy own blends called Strawberry Succulent. Good stuff. You could add a little of a cream like Bavarian@ 2% or so to make it strawberry and cream. Another good cream is Hangsen Vanilla.

just my 2 pennies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
From my recipe calculator,
Orange Cream average 3%
Sweet Cream average .5% (May be because I don't like that one more than it being strong. But it does work in Caramel Cap and Tiramisu.)

Those are the only other 2 I have. Orange Cream isn't a harsh orange but it isn't particularly strong either (like going higher isn't going to make it Lemon Pledge) so I use it with other oranges to lessen their harshness.
From what I recall it is pretty good alone and that would've been at 5%.

• Useful
Reactions: madstabber

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
More than you would think. You can cut back on the flavor by adding PG, I use 20% PG for fruit flavors, and then adding stevia. PG will add sour, VG is subtly sweet, too subtle for a fruit vape. However, a little stevia goes a LONG way.
Without PG and without Stevia, you need a lot of flavor to start tasting it, which is expensive.

• Useful

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
The only one I’ve used is orange cream. I used 10% and some Stevia, not too bad. I can’t taste some things very well though, and that’s one of them. I tried mixing it about half and half with another orange cream, I think that was a Cap, was a bit better.

If I revisit it, I’d probably try 1% marshmallow too, to fill it out a little.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I want to make a good tasting Strawberries and cream juice, and Irish cream juice.

Best advice I can give is to obtain recipes you may like to try first, and buy only those flavors listed in the recipes. It's never a good idea to buy a flavor because it sounds good. If you must, find a recipe that uses that flavor and has been thoroughly rated/reviewed.
All is not lost, it just will make your quest very labor intensive/more expensive. You have very few flavors and perhaps all are very usable. I would be surprised that you can make a known and highly rated mix with just the flavors you have. You could look but, I doubt you will be successful.
Suggest using the strawberry and cream (same for Bav. Cream) flavor and find a recipe that is rated along with comments that uses that flavor. Buy the other ingredients in the mix to go along with the recipe.
A word about Strawberry and Cream, one person commented,(the only rating) in ELR rated the flavor 4/5 stars. That kind information serves as a indicator of the popularity of S&C. S&C may suit your tastes perfectly.You could do a search in ECF's e liquid recipes section and type in Bavarian Cream and find some recipes with comments. Could google: "Bavarian Cream vape recipe".
When you have done a few hundred or more recipes, you will get to know the flavors/how the blenders present them and how to mix (make your own recipe with several ingredients and different/custom percentages) them for your tastes. For now, it's a good idea just find the flavor categories your interested in and search for known established highly rated/reviewed/commented on recipes.

• Useful

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
There is a site (can't link it here, because there's "beef" between the site owners, I guess, but I can tell you a google search for "e liquid recipes" should put it near the top of the page) where you can enter in all the flavor ingredients you own, and it will tell you what recipes you can make with just those flavors. If you sort the main recipes page by rating and see things like "Goofy's Juice" and "Bust-a-nut" at the very top, then you're in the right place.

There's a strawberries & cream recipe on that site called "Mustard Milk" that I really like. It's only 2 ingredients, but unfortunately, they're not ones you already have. The recipe is 6% TFA Strawberry and 8% TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, in your preferred PG/VG/Nic base. I mix it @ 3mg and 70VG for use in high-powered tanks and drippers.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Hi mate,
Go here: Where to order DIY juice???
and download the PDF.
There is also a chart here
And here

Have fun
I
ETA: I never got the Strawberry and cream to taste of anything other than vomit.
YMMV

Thanks for posting Izan. I updated the worksheet to add Liquid Barn, TFA and Cap starting flavor percentages. Again if you have information just send me a link and I will update the worksheet. I could not find a good table for:

Flavor Concentrates
Flavor West - FW
Flavorah F
FlavourArt - FA
Foodie Flavours Professional (UK) FF Pro
Genuine Flavors GF
Hangsen - HS
Jungle Flavors JF
Inawera - INW
LorAnns - LA
Medicine Flower Flavor Extracts MF
Natures flavors - NF
One On One Flavors OnO
One stop diy shop OSD
Purilum Flavor Concentrates
Real Flavors RF
Wonder Flavours WF

But will add them if someone finds them on the web and they are fairly easy to work with and get into excel. Just give me a link and we can get all the information consolidated.

Also, this is recommendations, a guide so YMMV.

Attachments

• DIY information.pdf
    738.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Love
Reactions: Izan

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
This is the recipe I came up with using what I had in my supply. Actually don't taste too bad. Has room for improvement though. I can taste the strawberries but the cream is very light, so I will probably increase the sweet cream a little. As far as the Irish cream flavoring I have, I found a simple recipe with only 2 flavors that I'm going to try called Buttery Nipple.
7fca3a039ddf573b68f15629b9a1ad7a.jpg
67716207781aef47f87cb21127e0dddb.jpg

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Give it a couple days before you start tweaking as the flavors will blend and some especially the strawberry (for my mixes anyway) will lay down a little bit.

I don't know about other strawberries (including other TFA strawberries) but TFA strawberry turns yellowish. When the mix turns color I figure it's ready.

I'm shake and vape on most things but there are those that go from bad to good with some aging. I'll tweak to a point with shake and vape then see if aging keeps it good or if it needs more tweaks based on age.

• Agree
Reactions: Marc411
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread