• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Florida Chat - Hi !

Status
Not open for further replies.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
:D Okay - Glad to hear people are alright . . . :thumbs:

However, still waiting to hear from @classwife . . . especially since there was some major flooding in Polk County - Lakeland area - which if my memory serves me correctly is where she lives . . . Hopefully, she will check in soon and let us know . . . ;)

oopsie...
I am so sorry I missed the notification on this !!

All was fine.
I am in Pasco not Polk (just a tad North of Tampa in Wesley Chapel)

Sheesh - I am even late on New Year

But - Happy New Year everybody anyway !

Sure has been cold here lately. I had ice...ICE ! on my car the other morning. I wasn't gonna get out and scrape it so I sat there waiting for the defroster to do it's thing.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
This:

XCAS6Gd.jpg

... is why I'm in Florida right now and not up in PA where that picture was just taken.

:rickroll:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Oh I didn't know there was a section for us Floridians!
IMG_3165.JPG

We tend to be spiradic in our posts here, mainly when the weather gets bad up north and we want to gloat…heehee…or when we are under thread of the H word. But of course post anytime…great group of people here.

XRec C

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2017
Florida
Welcome!!! And on the topic of weather... I think someone drugged me and I woke up in like Vermont or something. Me and my sons tried to go camping this past weekend. Usually right now is the perfect time with it being spring and all. The temps are nice and the bugs haven't started taking over. After this time you have to wait til fall cuz the heat is too much for me to be sleeping outside lol. Well our trip didn't work out. We woke up about 2am FFREEZING. We loaded our stuff up and headed home. On the way I pulled up a weather report and it said the current temp was 42 degrees! WTH?!?! Where am I???

XRec C

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2017
Florida
Seriously, where are you? Because where I am it didn't go below 75 last night and it was still humid and gross with zero breeze.
Up in the panhandle about half way between Tallahassee and Pensacola. It was just that one night. It's been in the 70s before and after and even cracked the 80s one day. That night was crazy tho. It pretty much killed most of the flowering plants that were in full bloom. My property is an old pecan orchard and those trees are usually how I know when the cold weather is completely over. Theyre usually the last to put on blooms and new growth cuz they won't do it til the cold is completely over. They've never been wrong before in my 42 years but they were this year

ShrubOhm

Mar 23, 2019
Fl
Up in the panhandle about half way between Tallahassee and Pensacola. It was just that one night. It's been in the 70s before and after and even cracked the 80s one day. That night was crazy tho. It pretty much killed most of the flowering plants that were in full bloom. My property is an old pecan orchard and those trees are usually how I know when the cold weather is completely over. Theyre usually the last to put on blooms and new growth cuz they won't do it til the cold is completely over. They've never been wrong before in my 42 years but they were this year

Wow that's crazy! I'm sorry about your trees though. Although for me down here I'm pretty sad about the cold weather being over. I'm in South Florida just north of Miami. I look forward to winter every year. I hate the heat! I'm living in the wrong state.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
@Flowersoul a bit too cool and brisk I think. A couple of mornings it was high 40s. Jacket weather for me for crying out loud:shock:

@ShrubOhm can you move to Jax area. I know several people from your area who have and live it up here. Still 90 and high humidity May-August but we actually get 30s in the winter. Personally I don't care for those COLD temps but they do keep the bugs down.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
@Flowersoul a bit too cool and brisk I think. A couple of mornings it was high 40s. Jacket weather for me for crying out loud:shock:

@ShrubOhm can you move to Jax area. I know several people from your area who have and live it up here. Still 90 and high humidity May-August but we actually get 30s in the winter. Personally I don't care for those COLD temps but they do keep the bugs down.

Too cold for me Bea. I get frostbite at those temps. But I love every part of FL.

Good luck. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Bea-FL

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm about an hour south of Jax. Yes, 30s at night in the winter. But that seems downright balmy when you're used to Pennsylvania winters. :D

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I'm in South Florida just north of Miami. I look forward to winter every year. I hate the heat! I'm living in the wrong state.

Neighbor here - Ft Lauderdale . . . AND - While I no longer look forward to the cold snowy blizzard conditions of Winter (particularly having to shovel snow), I do miss living up north at times . . . Especially when the hot humid blistery stagnation of Summer are around here and especially when a Hurricane decides to pass through, then I know I'm in the wrong state . . . Then again, I was actually stuck in NYC & Philadelphia when Sandy came North . . . Yes - looking back was Funny - just NOT FUN . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Then again, I was actually stuck in NYC & Philadelphia when Sandy came North
My wife and I were in the northwestern 'burbs of Philly during Sandy. A few days earlier, we were contemplating how ironic it would be if we bugged out to our home in Florida to avoid her. :laugh:

Reactions: Bea-FL

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I'd hate to be too far from family but I've always considered moving north while still being in Florida. Didn't realize how massive florida is until I went on a road trip from here to Iowa. We were through Kentucky in less than 3 hours, but florida took most of a day. Crazy!
so many people up north think of Florida as a state where the weather is subtropical everywhere. As an avid gardener I can tell you that FL is divided more or less into three gardening zones based on how cold it gets in the winter - north FL down to route 40, 40 to 60 is considered central and south of 60 is south…gardening-wise. And actually within those zones there can be variations in zones.

XRec C

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2017
Florida
I was born and raise in the panhandle of FL. Left the state for college and got married and moved back to Florida. I've lived in just about every part of the state...Naples, Apopka, Jacksonville, Tallahassee and now back where I started lol. In a little town called Chipley. I'll second what was said about outsiders expectations of Florida weather. There a huge difference between here and Naples. I prolly average 10-15 nights per winter that are in the 20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread