Fluval in a KR808 Cartomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimStanmore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2009
Southern NJ
I read in a thread (can't find it now) about removing the filler from a cartomizer. Using that I disassembled a cartomizer that had seemed dead. Sure enough, there was the burn in the paper and the filler material. I was curious, so I tested it on a battery and it still heated.

On a whim, I cut some Fluval into 1/8" by 3/8" by 3/4" strips and slipped them (3) vertically (skinny end in) into the cartomizer spaced around the walls to replace the filler I removed. The paper had also been removed with the filler material. You have to be careful when slipping it between the tube or wire and the wall, I am using small tweezers (one side in the carto.) I pushed the Fluval down to the level of the tube.

First fill was 30 drops of a thicker juice that normally doesn't work well in a carto. 8 or 10 large cloud vapes and then a flavor change. The carto was almost dry. Refilled with a pg juice and it has been going about half-an-hour.

Next, I am going to leave the paper in and try a little thicker Fluval. I am not sure about the taste - sometimes it is better and sometimes it is the same or worse than the original carto. At least I may be able to save some of my dead cartos.

Last edited:

JimStanmore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2009
Southern NJ
Thanks for sharing that video. Unfortunately, that is not where I got the idea for removing the KR808 filler material, that post was about removing the filling from a cartomizer. It is post #21, fletchfx, in http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/kr808d-1/55722-refills-when-do-you-toss-carto.html.

I learned about Fluval from the mod site and trying the polyfil, PTB, and blue foam with 510's, 901's and 801's (like the video.) I am actually using Fluval filter insert, which is fish tank filter material that is more rigid than in the video. Info on this is in the cart mod section.

I did not want to try the polyfil type material because it seemed too flimsy to pack evenly. I was also just curious about the more rigid material.

Last edited:

JimStanmore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2009
Southern NJ
Overlord, those were my thoughts exactly. I have quite a bit of liquid (stocking up) that I bought before I discovered the KR808. Now I have bought a bunch of cartomizers. I'm hoping I can stretch them out past the burnt taste/throw out sequence. Now I am working on the right amount of filter material to use. I am getting about an hour of heavy vaping compared to the two hours of a prefilled.

Here are some images of where I am at so far:

Attachments

• IMAG0265.jpg
    IMAG0265.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:

Overlord

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Stony Plain, AB
High Temperature, Heat and Flame Resistant & Thermal Insulating Fiberglass Knitted Sleeve

Why has no one tried Fiberglass Sleeving? It seems to me that it would eliminate any burning issues associated with the original material in the cartos. I have used silica rope to replace the metal wicking in regular atties.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable having fibreglass in my carts.

.... although i think thats what the wick is on the 510's. Ignorance is bliss in that case lol

JimStanmore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2009
Southern NJ
There is actually a sleeve around the atomizer between the batting and atomizer. I need to look more closely at what that is because I am finding that it has an impact on the flavor. If I leave a burnt sleeve in after replacing the filler/batting, there is still a burnt taste. Replacing the filler preemptively (before the cartomizer "fails") there is a good taste. Leaving the sleeve out seems to affect the wicking. There were about 8 to 12 810-style big clouds of vapor vapes and then the flavor drop off.

Tonight I will be trying polyfil and "fluffy" Fluval. A roll of PTB also seems intriguing...

JimStanmore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2009
Southern NJ
Tia, If you look at the picture you will see I am using the firmer fluval. This is all experimental anyway, so you can try any of the cart mods that strike your fancy. In my other PVs I started with PTB (Pyramid Te Bag) and then the polyfil. After trying the fluffy fluval I switched to the more rigid type and that is what I have stayed with. It lets me use thicker (VG) liquid in my 801. I tried it in the cartomizer first because it is easy to slip it in between the wall and the atomizer.

My next experiment is going to be using a stirrer as a core and wrap one layer of heavy fluval and then a few layers of fluffy fluval. Then I will slip the stirrer over the atomizer and slide the filler package into the cartridge. Similar to what I imagine the manufacturing machine does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread