The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

FOR high voltage fans 6V IN A BOX! made simple

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by warp1900, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. warp1900

warp1900 Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2009
    TX
    OK, here is another one from the PVMA system.
    Since many got very confused with so much stuff i included in my first thread, i will be doing some individual parts in different threads. For those that didn't see that thread...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/25949-pvma-no-more-worries-batt-connectors.html

i have not seen a box mod that can carry 6V , i might be wrong because there is so many mods around i could have missed it. I know there are other altoids mods out there , but don't remember any with 6V.

So here are the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And thank you once again to kinabaloo for help posting the pics.

2. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

First and last pic doesnt open.

Second and fourth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. breakfastchef

breakfastchef Moved On

Feb 12, 2009
    youfillintheblank did a 6v box mod a few months ago in one of the X2 AA battery boxes from Radio Shack. The Altoids version looks great, though.

4. mnealtx

mnealtx Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 16, 2009
    Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
    Neat idea - took me a minute to find the button.

5. SharonLM

SharonLM Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Warp: That is just so cool! Wish I could do something like that, but believe me, I can't

6. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    I guess you have to take a regular battery apart to get the conector off it huh? I haven't looked into how you actually get the new power to the atty?

how does it do next to the change in your pocket? or on a metal table? any fires? lol you probly made that for the price of shipping a GG

7. warp1900

Apr 17, 2009
    TX
    Sharon...
    Can you use a super glue tube?
    Can you drill 2 holes on thin metal?
    Can you or some friend or neighbor do 2 easy soldering points?
    If you answered yes to all, (i am sure you did), then yes you can do one yourself.

I never use battery connectors anymore Robert, i just built myself one RCA plug adapter for each of my atomizer types (901, 801, 401) and never have to deal with the darn original battery connectors again! (follow the link on the first part of this thread)

NO problems with pocket change or any metals, this is not a metal switch. as long as you detach the atty form the box before putting it in your pocket (less than 1 second with the RCA connector), you will never have batteries drained or shorts.

The cost for this was i am sure way below even the shipping you mentioned, i just don't remember what i payed for the altoids, LOL, that was the most expensive part. (besides the batteries of course)

[​IMG]

2 battery holders .80 cents a piece, 1 RCA jack .95 cents, 1 12X12 mm switch .50 cents plus the box, a little glue and solder and 4 very short wires.
    This are the links to where you can find the parts (except the altoids)

HOLDER
    Battery Holders/ Racks - CR123A Series Battery Holder

RCA jack
    SparkFun Electronics - RCA Jack

SWITCH
    SparkFun Electronics - Momentary Push Button Switch - 12mm Square

8. Carlos49

Carlos49 Moved On

Warp Your mods are great!!! Keep them coming your doing a fantastic job with the pics and "How to's". I have to start using you connection method, nice and clean

9. mnealtx

mnealtx Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 16, 2009
    Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
    Warp - how well are the female connectors holding up to the push-pull of taking the atomizers on and off?

Any problems, or are you supporting them as you do it?

10. SharonLM

Warp, I just might have to learn how to solder. Now, I've got a soldering station I can dig out, and maybe get the rest of the stuff. How about you printing a step by step instruction sheet and I'll be your first customer to buy one, I'm serious.

11. youfillintheblank

youfillintheblank Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I like it! I probably would sandpaper all the paint off if it were mine, but it looks cool, and nice connector too.

This is my main unit. Although i've abandoned the 901/4075s for 510 atomizers now. They work great, and don't deposit liquid in my mouth like 901s do.

P.S. add a rectifier diode like IN4004 or IN4007 to drop the voltage a bit. it's less shocking to atomizers without sacrificing too much power. I'm going on 5 weeks with the same 2 510 atomizers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. SharonLM

That's really nice too! Do you have much solder in there?

13. warp1900

Apr 17, 2009
    TX

Thank you Carlos, trust me, i have made so many in this last 2 months that i am still not sure when i will finish taking pics and posting them on here. Since i started using my RCA system, i have adapted almost every single elctric device in the house to a power supply for my vaping craziness!! Even my wife's night table clock (she has one , I don't since she is the rich one) has a jack i can hook up to when i don't want to carry boxes for power.
    Now i am thinking on adding jacks to the table lamps also LOL.

They have taken a good beating so far (2 months) and still as good as when i first made them, don't attribute it to me but to the design of the plug itself (male and female) , that is one of the many reasons why i chose RCA. I must add that anyways i try to be gentle to every part as you would with a regular e-cigarette battery or any electric/electronic device for that matter.

14. youfillintheblank

youfillintheblank Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    a bit. Have to solder about 6 different points on this one, I'm a former small appliance technician so soldering is no problemo.

and I stole the Weller soldering iron from work after I was let go. :D

15. warp1900

Apr 17, 2009
    TX
    WOW, very nice fit, great work by youfillintheblank.

Not really Sharon, it is more superglue and glue gun than soldering.
    The battery holders are glued to each other which makes them a tight fit inside the box.
    The RCA jack is super glued to the battery holders and it holds rock solid.

FYI my batteries are bigger than those, you would not be able to fit mine in the 2 X AA box.
    mine are 16320 and youfillintheblank's are 15270.

16. warp1900

Apr 17, 2009
    TX
    Sharon, if you are patient, i will sure do it for you as soon as i have a brake (not sure when), but hopefully by this time next week.

And yes, you can learn how to solder easily, it is not such a big deal as long as you know the very few basics. Just check the sticky on how to solder here in the mod section, it is really good.

17. SharonLM

Warp, thank you so much! Please don't forget me. :D:oops:

18. cuda333

cuda333 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2009
    I think its awesome how you were so detailed in your post..Great job:thumb:

19. Scubabatdan

Scubabatdan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2009
    Dothan, AL
    Grabbed some of those monemtary switches from an old VCR that was broken. There were 12 Micro switches in there! Great fro USB pass throughs. Thanks for the list of parts!

20. SmokinScott

SmokinScott Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2009
    Acton MA, USA
    Very cool Warp!

You too, You!

I had thought I had an original idea to use an Altoids gum tin a couple of weeks ago. Guess you guys beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.