Foul Cartridge Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Leaford: I hope Dr. Loi chimes in, but, yes, nicotine is an agent against some bacteria. Course, there are "good" and "bad" bacteria. Our mouths have lots of "good" ones; same for our lower intestines (I eat yogurt daily to repopulate these good guys). Nicotine is a mixed bag, according to research, killing some really bad bacteria, but also causing mouth and gastrointestinal problems by killing good guys. Here's the most pro-nicotine story, from a Florida university:thumb:, no less:

Nicotine, the compound that so satisfies smokers, is also a potent killer of bacteria. In test-tube studies, it can destroy more than a dozen types of bacteria, including ones that cause diseases, Saleh A. Naser of the University of Central Florida in Orlando reports.

He and his colleagues observed that nicotine, at concentrations much less than those in the saliva of people who smoke regularly, readily destroys a wide range of bacteria. Germs that cause tuberculosis, as well as gum and skin diseases, were all susceptible. So were bacteria that naturally reside on human skin and in people's mouths and gastrointestinal tracts.

Naser speculates that the reason smokers are prone to gum disease is that the nicotine from their cigarettes eliminates protective microbes that normally ward off disease-causing bacteria that even the nicotine can't check.

It isn't clear how nicotine kills bacteria, but researchers looking to keep microbes at bay still might exploit smokers' favorite compound. "It has the potential to be used as a disinfectant," Naser asserts.
In other words, nicotine is an equal-opportunity menace, sparing some, killing others.

Hmmmm. Maybe we could market nicotine underarm deodorant, to be absorbed through the skin for a nic hit, while killing stinky bacteria!

20ADAY

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2008
Scotland
Or 7. :D

I slept pretty late today, so I'm thinking about doing a bender tonight. If I don't I probably won't feel like sleeping until this time tomorrow.

But, that's digressing.

Back to topic, isn't nicotine a pretty powerful anti-bacterial agent itself, Dr Jim?

Reset the body clock do a bender lol, used to be play online poker for a living part and package of my old lifestyle, good luck sir :D

As for nicotine is a barsteward, trust me I surrounded my tobacco and e-cigarettes and they all look good after a few :D

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Or 7. :D

Back to topic, isn't nicotine a pretty powerful anti-bacterial agent itself, Dr Jim?

It is BUT not to all bacteria and certainly no effect whatsoever on Fungus or Virus...The color change and the taste changes is an indication of Oxidation has taken place..I am still suspecting some form of contamination has occured..they (the Carts) might need Cold Chain Handling for better shelf-life in the future if we need to prevent this from happenning.

BUT all said and done, we have no idea how 's the processing/manufacturing side will handle this or at the current status how they are actually manufacturing it and packing procedure..It is still a long way to go for this to reach a clinical/pharmaceutical level of stringent quality control..that is one key reason why this product need to be urgently and deeply studied and throughly run thru it's clinical mile before factual general mass usage...Non-Pharma approved product will undeniably faces an uphill task of being recognised by the general public as safe until proven...that's what I faced now..:mad:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
It is BUT not to all bacteria and certainly no effect whatsoever on Fungus or Virus...
What about sharing mouthpieces? Are the harmful bacteria one might worry about in that situation killed?

Still tastes like ****. Before and after the beer.

Well, at least you had the beer! :D :lol: :thumbs:

Last edited:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
I face three more months of daily mid-90F temperatures where I live. As of this thread, my liquids and unused cartridges go into the refrigerator, next to my snus. That seems a prudent precaution, at the least, and might become standard advice.

very good advice bob.. and not bad (to be on the safe side) stuff.. but unless u do a real test and leave some out u will never know for sure if it isnt simply all based on an incorrect assumption..

some people store their spare laptop batteries in the fridge.. me.. i have a fridge size problem and aint keen on introducing a deadly poison into my food environment..

trog

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
What about sharing mouthpieces? Are the harmful bacteria one might worry about in that situation killed?
Sharing mouthpieces will definitely like any contact form will pass on or transfer bacteria or viruses...best advise not to do sharing mouthpieces...keep it to your piece..
The bacteria on it won't be killed unless you wipe it consistently with an antiseptic solutions...not practical and can lead to another problem..dermatitis....

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I face three more months of daily mid-90F temperatures where I live. As of this thread, my liquids and unused cartridges go into the refrigerator, next to my snus. That seems a prudent precaution, at the least, and might become standard advice.

Bob, that's what I'm goign to do fro mnow on- I can't be sure if the carts got spoiled, or if they came from the factory with some convoluted mix that just tasted/smelled real bad and just got mixed in with hte others that are ok or what- But wityh the heat here, I'm just gonna pop everythign in the fridge right off the bat- just to be sure- if the taste/smell is still bad, then if it happens again, then we can assume soemthign else is to blame other than the heat. Although these things can probably stay out on shelf for a good length of time with no worries, I still think it would probably be wise to refridgerate them. I'm not sure if they contain vegetable matter/extract, but if they do, it would only seem reasonable that it probably shoudl be refridgerated- although soem oils such as Safflower, olive etc can remain out, but it's probably best to refridgerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread