FOX News DC "Investigative" Report on Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherTS

Feb 21, 2013
Hey everyone,

For those that missed last night's vape Team Live, I did an interview with the team about my recent run-in with a reporter from FOX 5 here in Washington, D.C. I wanted to post the article on here so everyone could get a chance to see this abysmal piece of reporting in all it's glory. After the report was published and I expressed my displeasure to the reporter of the article via Twitter, she became a tad snippity towards me. So I did what any passionate vaper would do, and I ripped her article to shreds with cold, hard, facts. Check the comments section below the article for my lengthy dissection and be sure to also leave your thoughts on the report there as well. Thanks!

FOX 5 Investigates: E-cigarettes - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

-Travis

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Benjy Finkel sells the e-cig brand Eonsmoke to stores around the University of Maryland campus, in flavors like mango and strawberry.

"It's crazy how big it's getting. All over campus. Sororities, fraternities all over campus they're smoking these things," said Finkel, another University of Maryland student.

Like traditional cigarettes, Finkel knows some high school kids are using e-cigs despite efforts to prevent it.

"They smoke electronic cigarettes at the back of detention, in the class maybe, when the teacher isn't looking and the teacher can't really smell it," Finkel said.

Read more: FOX 5 Investigates: E-cigarettes - DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG
Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

Is this Benjy Finkel a real person, or is this a made-up conversation? Why in the word would a vendor work so hard to give his product a bad reputation? Is he hoping the products will be outlawed? Or is he just...not too bright?

PantherTS

Feb 21, 2013
Well I'll tell you this, I'm a faculty member at University of Maryland and I can't find him in the directory, though that could mean he just isn't listed. I wanted to reach out to him and ask him if he was actually happy about how he was portrayed in this article. I sure as hell wouldn't be if that were me.

*EDIT*
I found him. He has no contact info listed though to reach him. So we at least know that he is a current student here but as far as getting a hold of him, I'd probably have to go through the EON Smoke site to see if I can find his contact info.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Data Perino will discuss e-cigarettes tonight at 5 p.m. on the Fox news channel.

The Five is an American talk show on Fox News Channel featuring a rotating panel of contributors who discuss current political issues and pop culture.

Her Tweet:

https://twitter.com/DanaPerino

Dana Perino ‏@DanaPerino

A moment away from riveting debate on sequestration - are you thums up or down on e-cigarettes? Going to discuss FDA reg on the Five.

PantherTS

Feb 21, 2013
I tried to watch Fox news just the other night. Within the first 13 minutes of the 10pm news I was shown 6 violent murders. It left me pondering why exactly people think violent video games are the source of all these violent ideas out there. Every time I turn on the news, it's more violence. To put it simply, violence sells and increases their ratings. They know it's a hot thing right now so they're going to exploit it just to make a buck and a few million more viewers. It's just interesting that none of the news outlets out there are showing how violence is at an all time low in this country according to the actual FBI Violent Crime statistics. The news is just not there to report on the facts...they're there to get ratings and they don't care who they stomp on or influence to get them.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I tried to watch Fox news just the other night. Within the first 13 minutes of the 10pm news I was shown 6 violent murders. It left me pondering why exactly people think violent video games are the source of all these violent ideas out there. Every time I turn on the news, it's more violence. To put it simply, violence sells and increases their ratings. They know it's a hot thing right now so they're going to exploit it just to make a buck and a few million more viewers. It's just interesting that none of the news outlets out there are showing how violence is at an all time low in this country according to the actual FBI Violent Crime statistics. The news is just not there to report on the facts...they're there to get ratings and they don't care who they stomp on or influence to get them.
Everything on TV today is just a form of a Reality TV Show
and that includes speeches from the White House to those in Congress...
both sides of the isle ... Every thing !!!!
The sad reality is ...
If there's no entertainment and Drama ... Americans get board and change the channel
Everyone is twisting the truth and slanting it ... No exceptions
just some better than others.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
TruthRevolution_zps5d3a44bd.jpg

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
Everything on TV today is just a form of a Reality TV Show
and that includes speeches from the White House to those in Congress...
both sides of the isle ... Every thing !!!!
The sad reality is ...
If there's no entertainment and Drama ... Americans get board and change the channel
Everyone is twisting the truth and slanting it ... No exceptions
just some better than others.

This is true. Regardless of where you think you stand in terms of some binary, stilted "Left" vs. "Right" continuum, corporatized mainstream media needs to be seen as the vacuous, sensationalized, propagandized drivel that it is, and all responsible people need to be clear in the affirmation that we no longer vest credibility in either its product, nor in the special-interest mechanisms that drive it.

If you want to be an "informed citizen" on any given topical subject, you'll have to do your homework. There is no real "news" on TV, nor on any of the big TV news internet outlets. There just isn't. Believing otherwise will only give you an extremely skewed and distorted understanding of what is happening in the world.

PantherTS

Feb 21, 2013
Unfortunately, she didn't even really get to talk about them at all. :( Disappointed once again.

Data Perino will discuss e-cigarettes tonight at 5 p.m. on the Fox news channel.

The Five is an American talk show on Fox News Channel featuring a rotating panel of contributors who discuss current political issues and pop culture.

Her Tweet:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Vocalek:8717473 said:

Her Tweet:

Dana Perino ‏@DanaPerino

A moment away from riveting debate on sequestration - are you thums up or down on e-cigarettes? Going to discuss FDA reg on the Five.
I watched......terrible show with almost no discussion on e cigarettes.......30 min of my life I will never get back.lol.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Well I'll tell you this, I'm a faculty member at University of Maryland and I can't find him in the directory, though that could mean he just isn't listed. I wanted to reach out to him and ask him if he was actually happy about how he was portrayed in this article. I sure as hell wouldn't be if that were me.

*EDIT*
I found him. He has no contact info listed though to reach him. So we at least know that he is a current student here but as far as getting a hold of him, I'd probably have to go through the EON Smoke site to see if I can find his contact info.

I can't understand why anyone would go into a business without educating him or herself about the issues. I just sent an email to Eonsmoke using the contact address on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread