Status
Not open for further replies.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
Sooo.... If you went to pay a $30 dollar tab at a restaurant and accidentally handed the waitress 3 $20 dollar bills instead of 2, she's under no obligation to bring back the extra $20 and keep it as a tip, right?

Not sure on the legality of that one, however having been a waiter I know that people generally say, or your waiter will ask if you require change. If that person said "no change" I'd keep the $30 no matter what he intended to give me.

To stay on topic, I don't think the OP is obligated to return the product unless contacted by the vendor and offered compensation for time/gas/shipping. It is unfortunate that someone will likely pay or be disciplined for that free evic but that is not the OP concern IMO. Keeping it does not make you a bad person, nor is it going to hault the vaping world in its tracks.... vape on

I was recently shipped an extra cell phone along with the one I paid and ordered for, do you think I returned it? lol....

Last edited:

KraKsX

Moved On
Dec 17, 2012
Lower NY
kraksx.com
It depends...

If your going to use it, if it helps out, if money is tight... They made the mistake, not you.

If you won't use it, have a ton of cash, and plan on selling it to flip for cash, that's kinda messed up.

I do believe in doing what's right, blah blah blah... Down the line when the egos never get used, PIF them to someone who needs them. And 'karma' will be right again.

vape On!

Good things happen to good people? Yes, they do but good people are the ones that would let the company they ordered from know what happened, so they hard not blaming some staff for stealing missing inventory or making some other mistake over missing $115 dollar hardware. one of those good people are the ones that would let the company know, not just keep it and brag abut it. To me not saying something is technically stealing from them - just the same as finding a wallet someone dropped and taking the money out of it before returning it. Good things don't happen to good people that act badly - at least other good things won't.

Something like this happened to me not long ago and I immediately called the company to let them know there may have been a mistake (pretty sure that the kit was not a sample sent to review). They were very happy to know what had happened and the one comment they made was at least they would know what had happened to it and that it had not been shop lifted after an employee removed it from the cabinet to be viewed (for which the employee would have been at fault) or that it had been an employee theft. It had also been a kit that was supposed to go out in another shipment to another party (they were probably packing it in a close area and the kit was accidentally picked up and put in my box) and they would have been positive that it had been shipped to that buyer and would have argued it if that buyer had claimed it was not in the box.

I asked about returning it to them - because I did want them to pay the shipping so that was why i was asking about it - and they told me not to worry about it and just keep it with their thanks for being honest. See, that's the sort of good thing that happens to people being good.

Let the company know they made a mistake, they may want to recoup their $100+ loss and have you return it with their thanks - which shroud be enough or send you some little things for being fair. Even if there is not a reward its the right thing to do.

21Clouds

May 13, 2013
Victorville
I'm all for doing the right thing.

I was unemployed for close to a year up until two months ago. Now, my luck has changed and I am working 2 jobs and going to school part time. Since this new change of luck my relationships have become stronger, I am a better, happier person and I'm getting hooked up like a mother! Just today I received an email from Zeusejuice.com for a free 10ml bottle, got a free coffee from Starbucks, and a free eVic. I know it's not morally the best thing to keep the new device, but I also feel like its somewhat deserved.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I recently ordered some flavors from a small startup Vendor. Immediately after he mailed the wrong package by mistake he sent me an email and said I could keep the entire package- $60.00 value- and my package would go out the next day. I sent the first package back unopened...it was well worth the obvious appreciation he showed when he received it. Bottom line I made his day all the brighter and that's priceless.

Last edited:

candik

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Central, New Jersey
If a company sent me the wrong thing, (which is exactly what happened regardless of how I'd want to look at it!) I would let them know. Somewhere out there is someone complaining about the order they paid for and didn't receive. If it were just the two orders involved, it won't take the company long to figure out what happened. Telling the store what happened gives them an opportunity to be proactive with the customer who gets to be hurt by this. Getting an unexpected bonus might feel good, but.... on the other hand:

the store will have an unhappy customer they have to appease, that'll cost them
they are potentially out of merchandise cause you have it, that'll cost them
they will probably have to reship or refund to the other customer, that'll hurt
now they're out the cost of 2 units and the profit they should have generated, that hurts
bottom line, prices for merchandise has to be reassessed and maybe rise across the board to gain error margin padding, that hurts

Sorry, I'm not seeing the good thing here... I hope you do the RIGHT thing cause that would be the GOOD thing to do. Just my :2c: ymmv.

Everyone has some rough times in their lives but having a hard time might make you entitled to feel like you deserved free things that people give you when they are - on purpose - giving away free things or offering prizes for a contest or whatever. Feeling entiteled to take advantage of someone's honest mistake is not.

My husband just when t back to work after being unemployed for a long time. I have had all sorts of stresses dealing with tat and a child with a chronic health problem that necessitates surgery every few months, and many other things. That does not make me think that life owes me stuff especially at someone else's expense.

You just went through being unemployed - think how some employee getting fired and ending up in employed because they think he stole it instead of it being a shipping accident; and staying unemployed because they did think it was stolen.

I assume that if you found a wallet you would take the money, perhaps use a credit card or two before returning it, if you did, because life owes you good things now and it was that person's fault for dropping his wallet? Taking advantage of a mistake is not the world 'paying' you back for hard times, its you taking advantage of a situation and a mistake on someone else's part. Their mistake, nor your hardships, make you deserving of taking advantage.

If you know its not morally right to keep it but convince yourself that you will because you 'deserve it' then you really are not being morally upright. To know its wrong to do something and doing it anyway makes it even worse then not knowing better. And really, coming on a forum to brag about how you committed 'theft after the fact' (which is the legal charge that could be brought for doing this) and supporting it with a sob story about how the world owes you just makes it worse.

Doing the right thing most likely would have earned you the kit and you could have posted the whole story about how they gave it to you once you had contacted them and that would have been a great story - instead you posted as you have.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I'm all for doing the right thing.

I was unemployed for close to a year up until two months ago. Now, my luck has changed and I am working 2 jobs and going to school part time. Since this new change of luck my relationships have become stronger, I am a better, happier person and I'm getting hooked up like a mother! Just today I received an email from Zeusejuice.com for a free 10ml bottle, got a free coffee from Starbucks, and a free eVic. I know it's not morally the best thing to keep the new device, but I also feel like its somewhat deserved.

Oh, so you're entitled? Lame even coming from someone obviously belonging to the "Entitled Generation". :blink:

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
I used to collect custom knives and had a nice collection. Once I purchased a custom from an online dealer. When I opened the box there was my new knife along with 12 very expensive knives that were to have been sent to an agent for a national knife show. Somehow one of his employees mixed up the shipping. I called and told him of the mistake. He immediately dispatched FedEx to pick them up at his expense and forward them to the correct destination. In return for my honesty he credited me my original knife purchase and extended an additional store credit. I later learned those knives he had mistakenly mailed were worth about $6500.

candik

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Central, New Jersey
Not sure on the legality of that one, however having been a waiter I know that people generally say, or your waiter will ask if you require change. If that person said "no change" I'd keep the $30 no matter what he intended to give me.

To stay on topic, I don't think the OP is obligated to return the product unless contacted by the vendor and offered compensation for time/gas/shipping. It is unfortunate that someone will likely pay or be disciplined for that free evic but that is not the OP concern IMO. Keeping it does not make you a bad person, nor is it going to hault the vaping world in its tracks.... vape on

I was recently shipped an extra cell phone along with the one I paid and ordered for, do you think I returned it? lol....

When I was a server, if the "keep the change" tip was more than a certain percentage, say 50% or more of the bill, I would always verify with the customer they meant for me to have that amount. (Paper money does sometimes stick together.) If they meant to do it, it gave me an opportunity to express my gratitude, if they didn't, it gave me an opportunity to give them back their grocery money. Usually, if it was an error, they gave me a little more than they originally intended as a thank you. Needless to say, those customers became my regulars. Doing the right thing is just that, doing the right thing.

fido5150

Apr 28, 2013
United States
To stay on topic, I don't think the OP is obligated to return the product unless contacted by the vendor and offered compensation for time/gas/shipping.

I don't think anybody is necessarily saying "you have to give it back", it's more like "hey, if you want to continue to reap that good karma, maybe you should at least notify the vendor".

And OP's (original) response? "Too bad, so sad".

That's the only thing that didn't sit right with me. Chances are the vendor would say to keep it, since wholesale they're not a whole lot more than having to pay the return shipping. The last time I received two of something I ordered, instead of the 1 I paid for, the company simply said "Merry Christmas" (even though it was in November).

Guess I'm just old-school that way. I believe that in order for good things to happen to you, you have better odds if you continue to do good things yourself.

Last edited:

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Wow can't believe this is still going lol. I'm guessing Vapers must have the most morals of any forum out there, seeing as the product we speak of just may have saved our lives.

Yeah I'd at least let them know of the mistake and see what happens.

If it should happen again somewhere down the road, then perhaps it's fate.... Eww that's something to think about fate.....

I lost my wallet many moons ago,with all my ID and 10 bucks in it, this knock came to me door as I opened it a young lad was standing there with my wallet in his outstretched hand I took my wallet looked inside and noticed the 10 was gone, I promptly thanked the young man and off he went, I would have given him the 10, but I didn't mind if he assumed it.

No offense, but I'm a blunt person.

Someone else doesn't have their eVic that they paid for. Or, an employee just got fired for theft. Or, someone's small business just lost profit, costing them money. Grocery money. That could be you. Lucky is winning a contest. If you're okay with someone else getting screwed over for your benefit, keep it. Because that's what you are doing.

If you want to be a good person, return it. Or pay for it. Otherwise, you're no better than anyone else taking advantage of a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread