Frustrated and confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
I recently purchased a Vamo3 its not even a month and I'm having issues with the center pin and ring. I think it was the vivi nova that pushed the pin down since it was working fine with my delrin cart tank.
I was wondering if you have had any issues with the center ring.

Yep, there are issues with the center pin in the Vamo V2 and V3. I had the same issue and replaced the gasket that holds the center pin in place. Here's a link to the thread that explains how to fix it. Click me!

The one note I have on doing this is that I was able to lift the center pin all the way up (til it was about flush), and after discovering that I could do that, my new gasket went in so much easier. It's been about a week or two since I did my repair job, and I haven't had a single issue.

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
I am not a tech. I fear rebuildables. I do carto or replaceable coil systems, and found cleaning the things is pointless. The replacements are cheap, cheaper than a pack of stinkies! Cartos run what? Two or three dollars a piece? They last some, a couple of days, I have had some last over a week. Do the math. Same with replacement coils (Vivi Nova) you are better off ordering batches. Still cheaper than a pack or two of stinkies a DAY!

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
I am not a tech. I fear rebuildables. I do carto or replaceable coil systems, and found cleaning the things is pointless. The replacements are cheap, cheaper than a pack of stinkies! Cartos run what? Two or three dollars a piece? They last some, a couple of days, I have had some last over a week. Do the math. Same with replacement coils (Vivi Nova) you are better off ordering batches. Still cheaper than a pack or two of stinkies a DAY!

I'm not a tech, either. And I'm not a real adult man -- I hate using tools and don't own anything other than very basics. No drill-press here, folks. But making a coil is quite simple... and I didn't blow off my head :evil:

But now, I have RDA-envy, and I want a larger one :)

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Already great advice on here. Let me just mention that I would not put $30 juice in a $2.00 clearo. At a minimum I would use a Protank with air flow controller, or a carto setup. Secondly, as Atty says, juice gunks the coils. I always read how everyone changes their coils every one or two weeks. I change mine every two or three days max. because I like my vape "Brand spanking new." Fresh coils with great juice in VV, well, that's where I want to be....every time, every day. Because of the expense of good coils, I learned to recoil my own, and the Kanger's are a piece of cake, and very inexpensive to do. Takes a bit of practice. First time, I went 0/4, then 10/12, 7 wraps kanthal 32 and I get 2.0 - 2.2 Ohm coils.

But I digress. A good bottom coil, with "new" coils, the right juice and VV, and you won't be writing these posts any longer. I thought, originally, that once I spent my $50, or whatever, that I wouldn't have much of an expense to vaping, and I was wrong. I need new coils, new juice, the right gear, the right cleanup products, the right setup gear, etc., etc. Vaping is either very expensive process where you just throw a new prefilled carto on there, or less expensive, where you "participate" in the vape quality, the creation and maintenance of same. I'm on the extreme side of VapeQuest and adding new skills all the time. I won't put up with subpar performance, because I know I can get outstanding vaping with a bit of money and effort....and, that's vaping for me...YMMV. Nuff said. Best to you. Please do not give up. Please give a little more effort with the new info these Vets are sharing with you. YOU CAN DO IT! Now Power up and Vape On!

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
On another note, I did in fact clean the CE4s as shown in the videos... the heads aren't replaceable... I also noticed that the color of the juice became slightly darker inside both tanks. Really don't understand why that would be the case. I'm guessing I used each tank no more than 3 times before cleaning them.

It sounds as if you didn't get the coils clean when you dry burned and there is enough residual juice gunk left over on the coils to discolor your juice. The coils all need to glow red to complete the dry burn process. Once you see the first hint of red on the coil only keep the firing button down for a second or less. That prevents popping a coil from getting it too hot.

I clean and dry burn all my juice delivery devices after running about 2.5 to 3 ml. (approximately a tank) of juice through them because I don't like the taste of dirty coils the least little bit. My coils seem to last forever which I'm guessing may be from needing lower temps to burn the smaller amount of gunk off the coils.

Also, with any top coil clearomizer like your CE4s it helps to hold your device near horizontal and twirl before taking a vape. This helps keep the coils fully saturated. Dry hits or semi-dry hits can burn juice which tastes nasty and can prematurely gunk up coils.

While, I think every beginner should have the benefit of a variable wattage (VW) or, at the very least, a variable voltage (VV) device you should be able to get a perfectly respectable vape with the batteries and CE4s that you currently have.

One other caution regarding clearomizers is that some juices will crack plastic tanks, juices that crack the plastic on clearomizers. The Pro Tank is glass and you can buy anodized aluminum tubes for Vivi Novas that won't be affected by these juices.

vantagebox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
OR, US
Not to be a pain, but I'm reaching out for some more help pls:
Checked out FastTech as suggested (and I thought smoking was an addiction!) and got a Protank, EVOD and CE5+ on the way. Got stuck on the battery choices between a Vamo, SVD and the Itaste VV/VW. Trying to research these as much as possible before narrowing it down to one. But my problem is that I don't clearly understand when and how to use the VV/VW features - this might be really stupid, but is this stuff explained somewhere? Thanks again!

gando_salo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
Orlando, Florida, United States
VV is Variable Voltage. Basically in the most simplest of words - increasing and decreasing the amount of heat created to burn the liquid via the coil firing up. The higher the voltage, the more of a reaction being created (due to higher heat) and eventually more vapor.

VW is the same with wattage.. works similarly to the VV aspect, one goes up, so does the other.

You MUST remember this will be affected by your resistance in your coil, but thats for another day...

I recomend starting low for some time and cranking it up till you hit what a lot of people refer to as their sweet spot - for example mine is 4.0V on a 2.5ohm coil in a protank...

Also, you might want to look at an eVic.. you may like that too.. Its a little bit higher on the price tag ($70-100) but there are some awesome features on it. My fav is the fact that I can charge it and vape it at the same time... And it also give you a recommendation of what you should set the voltage on once it detects your protank, evod, etc. etc..

About fast-tech - great prices on almost anything but BEWARE - they openly sell knockoffs and can take weeks to deliver to where you are... For a few bucks here and there - there are a lot of places online which ship out of the US with all authentic products, and they can ship it QUICK!!!

vantagebox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
OR, US
Gando, thanks for the reply and the PM, much appreciated! I'll take a look at the eVic also. I'm trying to figure out how to match the voltage requirements - I know I'm not saying this correctly, but for instance, I have some CE5s coming; they're listed at 2.4 ohms. If I put them in my current battery (which is a simple, non-adjustable 650 ego) will they blow? It doesn't even say anywhere in my original package what the voltage is with the batteries I already bought...

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Gando, thanks for the reply and the PM, much appreciated! I'll take a look at the eVic also. I'm trying to figure out how to match the voltage requirements - I know I'm not saying this correctly, but for instance, I have some CE5s coming; they're listed at 2.4 ohms. If I put them in my current battery (which is a simple, non-adjustable 650 ego) will they blow? It doesn't even say anywhere in my original package what the voltage is with the batteries I already bought...

They won't blow out, no. Your standard non-adjustable eGo should run right around 3.7v but someone who's used them can correct me if I'm wrong there, I'm used to most simple devices like that running 3.7v regulated. On a fixed-voltage device the ohms value of your delivery device will determine more the amount of vapor you get and the temperature of the hit, which is part of why low-ohm cartos exist, for those using cigalikes that want a warmer hit since they're stuck at 3.7v.

Chani1074

Jul 24, 2013
United States
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.....I'm about 1.5 months into vaping after smoking for 25(ish) years.....I had to quit as I almost died from a bleeding ulcer (2nd time around), and pretty much knew that there wouldn't/couldn't be a 3rd time. I love vaping, and have already converted 2 friends to ex-smokers!! The forum has already been an incredible source of information and assistance to me......so Thanks to everyone who created and post in the forum!!

gando_salo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
Welcome to the club..
You are one of now thousands of vapers... And trust me, everyone has love and support around here...
Start a post with some Q's and see how quicly you get so much attention, its addictive...
Good luck... and Vape on...

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.....I'm about 1.5 months into vaping after smoking for 25(ish) years.....I had to quit as I almost died from a bleeding ulcer (2nd time around), and pretty much knew that there wouldn't/couldn't be a 3rd time. I love vaping, and have already converted 2 friends to ex-smokers!! The forum has already been an incredible source of information and assistance to me......so Thanks to everyone who created and post in the forum!!

gando_salo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
Standard non VV devices should be set somewhere around 3.4-3.8V. I could be wrong but this again wont vary much and the outcome wont either..
Blowing your coils which are standard sold from the manufacturer is not easy, unless you intentionally want to or know exactly how to... So I wouldn't worry if I was you..

I am going to attach a chart on here, it should show you pretty much everything to know about the VV/VW/Ohm aspect of vaping.. Chose a safe point to start, I would say get on board with a coil that has a resistance of 2.2-2.6Ohms. this will be a safe way to begin.. Fire up at about 3.3ish and you can safely push it to 4 without a problem..

Volt-Watts-Resistance Chart.jpg

Hope this picture helped.. I think its the best one I have found so far...

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Not to be a pain, but I'm reaching out for some more help pls:
Checked out FastTech as suggested (and I thought smoking was an addiction!) and got a Protank, EVOD and CE5+ on the way. Got stuck on the battery choices between a Vamo, SVD and the Itaste VV/VW. Trying to research these as much as possible before narrowing it down to one. But my problem is that I don't clearly understand when and how to use the VV/VW features - this might be really stupid, but is this stuff explained somewhere? Thanks again!

In VW mode if you set your power level to 8 watts the electronics will read the oHms of your juice delivery device, do the math itself and deliver the same warmth of vape irrespective of the oHms of the delivery device.

In VV mode you have to do the math if you change the oHms of your juice delivery device and want the same warmth of vape. You can get around the math by starting low and dialing up. However, I've found this to be quite irritating after benefitting from the more convenient VW but some people don't mind the least little bit. Also, if you forget to turn down the power after using a high oHm device and put on low one you can easily pop the coil.

VW and VV devices have electronic booster circuits in them that increase the power that the battery can deliver. Batteries without VW or VV such as your eGo don't do this which means that most people will want to vape low resistance juice delivery devices (1.5 to 2 oHms) to get the warmth of vape they prefer. A 2.4 oHm coil will produce a vape on the cool side of what most people prefer.

I own two Vamos, an SVD, the Itaste VV/VW and an eVic. The iTaste is the only eGo-sized battery with VW. It's 800 mAh but has pass-through capabilities so you can vape while charging. If size a big consideration for you that would be a good choice. However, it doesn't have as much power as it's much larger brother and cousins but not a whole lot of people actually prefer/need more power than what the iTaste delivers.

For me, my VAMOs and SVD are six one, half a dozen the other. They are both large and heavy. My VAMO v2s have a super easy, super fast menu system. The v3's menu system is smidge more fiddly and most people don't care much for the looks of the swirly grooves. It also has a removable top which is easier to clean and has a nicer display than the v2. A Fast Tech employee posted that the v3 will be discontinued because people don't like the swirls.

The placement of the SVD's screen makes it awkward to use but it does have an etched "cheat sheet" on the body next to the buttons to let you know how to use them. The VAMO, SVD and iTaste are all simple enough for a beginner to use but have enough features to allow you to explore more advanced aspects of vaping should you wish to do so.

The eVic is smaller and lighter than the VAMO or SVD and has a wonderful screen readout that displays a lot of data of the user's choosing. However, changing the default settings means wading through a non-intuitive, tedious menu system. On the plus side, it is very easy to change power levels once things are set up.

I hope I'm mistaken but the eVic's firing button and adjustment dial look to me like they are made of chrome plated plastic or pot metal. My eVic also has the unwelcome habit of turning itself off randomly when merely sitting in the PV stand with a fully charged battery. Unless someone's inner geek is crying out for a good romp with the menu system I wouldn't recommend the eVic as a primary device.

gossimer44

Jul 23, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the forum and have only been vaping a little over 3 weeks. Wanted to let you know vantagebox that I feel your frustration. Started with 2 blu setups at about $85 ea that were garbage. Then went to local b&m and spent another $100 on their recomended setup kit and accessories. These too have broken down several times in three weeks. So I came here to check reviews and get advice. And now I have spent more money on a third and better quality setup and it complete changed the taste for the better. Bought myself a EGO-V V2 MEGA Battery and three types of Kanger tanks to test out. Currently I only have the Kanger T3, but I have a mini pro and a pro in the mail.

BTW got my mini pro from vapor authority for $12.95, it was the cheapest I could find on the internet.

Love, love, love the bottom coil. Try them out and keep checking your local vape stores for different flavors. I have 4 different stores I go to to get my preferred flavors and have found that usually the smaller the store, the better the flavor and the more hospitable the service. Also, ask if they make their own and if they will add extra flavoring. This may peek your intrest again........Good luck.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com

Yeah, CE4s are kind of... meh. I use CE5s and do fine. Real easy to take apart (the parts just unscrew from each other, no tools needed), clean out, air dry, reuse. I had one CE4 and cleaning the thing was a total pain in the neck. I wouldn't recommend them.

And 2.4 ohm is fine. That's in the "standard resistance" range and work fine with the ordinary voltage ranges. The non-variable batteries run around 3.7 volts. That's gotta be something about lithium ion batteries. If you check your cell phone (I mean one that has a replaceable battery, not the iPhone which I would not recommend trying to pry open just to look at the battery :) ), it's probably got a 3.7 volt battery too. The power charts put 2.4 in the "middle range" with that voltage. They'll be fine.

I use 2.4 ohms with my Twist which adjusts from 3.2 to 4.8 volts. Decided on 2.4 since it isn't likely to burn at any voltage in that range. That way, I wouldn't have to worry. Could just adjust to taste and not have to check a chart.

If you move to more advanced set ups like eVics and Vamos and Provaris and all, there's an additional learning curve there. Which is fine if you want to move up into the "advanced" realm. Just be aware. I'm more of the opinion that when you're "getting your feet wet", it's better to stick with the simpler systems. Move up later after you get more into how all this vaping stuff works. :)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Upon further research, the eGo-K unit tends to follow battery voltage according to one site. So maybe it isn't regulated like a standard eGo. Anyone know?

Standard eGo units are 3.4 volts. This will start out around 4.0 volts and cut out at 3.0 volts with most of the usable range around 3.6 volts.

So, the 2.5 ohms stuff is "OK"...2.0 ohm is probably a "harder hit".

However, gunk is gunk. Some juices just gunk the heck out of stuff. Getting another PV won't fix that. Changing the clearo may change the "gunk speed" a bit. But if it's the juice, it's the juice.

All these factors are a matter of experience and it's hard for us to say unless the OP tries different stuff and lets us know the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread