Funny looks from people who see you vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPT.SPALDING

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
WINNIPEG,MB.CANADA
So i was at a social last week,and went outside for a vape.
I pulled out my percise + as i walked past a few middle aged smokers.The look on their faces was priceless.
They couldn't take their eye's off of me,as if i was holding a (MODERATED).
I then explained to them that it was an "e-cigarette" and showed them how it worked.They were interested but still looked at me like i was crazy.
Now i carry cards from vendors on me to give to the curious.

Any one else have any wierd/funny stories?

Last edited by a moderator:

79Silo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yeah.. i got one.. Once i'm vaping outside and out of a sudden an old guys comes to me saying "STOP!! it is dangerous to smoke batteries, it will kill you. You know lithium is very harmful" then he mention it is best to smoke normal cig they only burn. I was like "what!!" Some people does not have the knowledge and just assuming that smoking from a battery operated is like you smoke the baterry itself, try explaining but he just in a guarded position and strongly straight with his words.. i keep walking.. LOL!!

My e cig has a blue light at the end, so at night when driving, I am sure people think they have a police car behind them, because of the blue flashing light (hehe)

Some people I notice clock me vaping and the "I must complain" look comes into their eyes. Sometimes they sniff the air and cough, only to look confused as they realise there is no smell of tobacco in the air and that their fake cough was in vain as there is nothing they can complain at me for.

People look, but noone has ever said anything to me, I think the card is a good idea, or maybe a tshirt with "This Is An E Cig...OK" printed on it. Better still for the more classy vapers out there, a pair of trackie bottoms, like the Juicy ones, with it printed across the seat. ;)

SteveD3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I'm still new to this, but lately I seem to find the "help me quit" people. Usually at the airport when I travel. Honestly, it's cool. I love smoking, and I love my PV and the fact that I can still smoke, but without all the other junk, so I'm all to happy to explain - as long as I don't miss my flight.

I'll have to get some cards to hand out. That's a lot better than what I was doing, which is load up a website in the middle of the airline lounge and give them a walk through on the eGo-C. :laugh:

At home in Indy, they recently passed a new smoking law. So even though it's not an analog, I'm still scum of the earth to most of the people who see me smoking. I'm thinking of ways to troll at home like I do w/ some people at the airport.

El Diablo Marrón

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Tacoma Wa,
God i hate the fake cough people.. but i do like their look when they don't smell smoke and prolly smell the cola or lemonlime smell.

I have been getting a little braver the past week about vaping out in the open.
Nobody has said anything except the new people at work or vendors using our smoking hut to take a break.

I use a lavatube and a vision stone tank.. I guess i would look at it weird too if i didn't know what it was.

Carto-Miser

Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New York
Some people I notice clock me vaping and the "I must complain" look comes into their eyes. Sometimes they sniff the air and cough, only to look confused as they realise there is no smell of tobacco in the air and that their fake cough was in vain as there is nothing they can complain at me for.

:laugh: Love it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We just need to educate anyone who is curious, especially the people who think we are harming ourselves (while they smoke tobacco). I just explain that it is a flavored liquid that produces a water vapor steam containing nicotine that satisfies my desire to simulate smoking and prevents me from smoking tobacco. I tell them that it's called vaping because it doesn't produce smoke ... it produces vapor.

I go on to tell them that the propylene glycol is listed in the ingredients of foods and drinks we consume every day. It's considered GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by the FDA, and tests show that they are as safe as nicotine lozenges. The rest is water, food type cake and candy flavorings and it comes in tobacco flavors, also.

By the time I get through, they are talking about someone they know that needs to find out about vaping. It's always a positive conversation by the end of our talk. I give them links to ECF and other places they can buy an ecig to try.

The other day a waitress noticed my ecig and asked about it. She took the link and was going to give it to her husband, who had tried a gas station ecig. She mentioned that my Provari looked like the memory eraser in Men in Black!

url

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
I try to cut people a break because although I never gave people who were smoking analogs dirty looks even when I was in one of my quit periods, I try to remember that a month ago, I would probably have thought someone vaping was using a(MODERTED) pipe of some kind. The only e-cigs I had heard about or had seen were the stick ones from the mall kiosk. I had no idea at all that they could be like the eGo or the Provari. So while I would never fake cough, shoot a dirty look, call security, or even do more than try to sneak a closer look, I do understand that there are millions of people out there who have no clue that there is a vaping revolution taking place.

I fly out of Philadelphia International at least once a month, usually a couple times a month, and I've never seen anyone vaping there. Not outside where I used to stand to catch a last stinky before flying and not inside at any of the gates. This is a huge airport, so you'd think I would have seen it at least once. And believe me, as panicky as I always was about knowing I wouldn't have another smoke for hours once I went through security, I would have definitely noticed if anyone was blowing out a smoke-like substance in my vicinity.

tamarahvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Springfield, VT
I was in McDonald's with my kids and noticed a giant state trooper (we're talking at least 6'5") at the soda dispenser giving me the stink eye. Only took me a second to realize he had spotted the ego with Phiniac tank I had hanging around my neck. He looked so hostile I thought he was going to roust me on the spot. I just gave him an ear to ear grin and he spun around and walked away. :laugh: I think he decided that confronting me was going to end up making him look stupid.

Archnemysis

Aug 6, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
JudeD:6269720 said:
I do understand that there are millions of people out there who have no clue that there is a vaping revolution taking place.

This is the key. I take every look and use it as an opportunity to talk about vaping. Whether it is to help a smoker find something that might help them quit, or help a non smoker understand why vaping shouldn't be regulated the same way as cigarettes. I also carry cards. Unfortunately, many of them take the more confrontational I'M NOT SMOKING approach instead of a simple vaping primer.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i don't really notice the strange looks i get anymore, most likely because i'm not paying much attention to what they're up to. i regularly vape in a few non-smoking sections, and people will either avoid me or they won't.
i had someone give me a thumbs up as they passed me at a crosswalk when i was using my rev2 once. that was awesome, though i was wondering what i was being commended for at first. there are a number of things someone can point out at me for. :p

thepiercefamily2001

Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Arvada, CO
I work in the oil patch in nd. Some of the priceless looks I have gotten came from casing crews ( the ones that put the pipe in the ground) when they thought I was doing drugs. At work I am known as the (MODERATED) smoker as an inside joke. This is funny because I am fairly high in the safety department. I have been able to convert a fair amount of my co workers to vaping. The priceless one however was when a cop in the next lane almost got into a wreck trying to figure out what I was "smoking" happy to say it was my golden Greek with avs in it. Lol. :evil::vapor:

Street Trash

Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Salt Lake City
She mentioned that my Provari looked like the memory eraser in Men in Black!

url

Some one should build an add on for it that flashes a bright light. Then you just put on sun glasses, flash 'em, say "This never happened." and walk off.

Really though, I carry cards. The business cards from eletronicstix have a perfect explanation of what it is, and directions to both of their stores. If they still have questions I do my best to help them out, time permitting of course, or I refer them to the local shops. I've had several people that seemed interested, and a couple have switched at my work.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I get a lot of looks, especially with my Lavatube and ProVari. Most people don't say anything but I've had a few people ask me if I was doing drugs. A buddy of mine just says "yes, I am doing drugs." I just try to give a quick explanation of what vaping is but saying what he says gets rid of them faster.

Your buddy is awesome ha..

I don't really care what people think of me when I vape. I think it's because I don't like the city I'm living in. I'm here because I had to find work and my wife's family is here. You know how certain towns has a certain vibe? This place just is on a different wavelength that I am on. Haven't made any friends at all. Just a fish out of water. So bottom line is if people think Im doing something illegal, have at it haha.. Next time someone asks me I'm going to think of some creative responses..

Hey what is that there?

My response - "Have you accepted the sweet baby Jesus in your life?"

Is that one of those electronic cigarettes?

My response "we are young, heartache to heartache we stand, love is a battlefield"

I read someonewhere one of those blew up in a guys face (I actually gotten this one)

My response "If a man love another man I think they have the right to get married just like the rest of us"

You know that has that anti freeze in it.

My response - "Do you know where your wife was last night?"

superstardj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
Maggie Valley, NC
Was walking in a very busy downtown area yesterday with my wife vaping away on my provari as I walked down the streets lol...got a lot of funny looks :). Went to a wine bar and joined some smokers outside as i vaped, kept getting eyed by one smoker and I could tell he was curious but never asked anything. Earlier in the day went with my wife as she was getting a tattoo touched up and they sold "smoking accessories" there, you know the stuff for "tobacco use only" lol and asked if I could vape - they were cool about it and the provari was a great conversation starter!

CPT.SPALDING

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
WINNIPEG,MB.CANADA
I work in the oil patch in nd. Some of the priceless looks I have gotten came from casing crews ( the ones that put the pipe in the ground) when they thought I was doing drugs. At work I am known as the crack pipe smoker as an inside joke. This is funny because I am fairly high in the safety department. I have been able to convert a fair amount of my co workers to vaping. The priceless one however was when a cop in the next lane almost got into a wreck trying to figure out what I was "smoking" happy to say it was my golden Greek with avs in it. Lol. :evil::vapor:

I keep telling some of my co-workers that a gave up cigarette's and switched to (MODERATED)......always good for a few laugh's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread