• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Gatwick security on regarding e cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzatron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just got this reply from gatwick airport as I will be traveling with them soon, just thought I would share it here:

There are no restrictions on these products and many of our customers travel through the airport with them every day, however the e liquid most not exceed 100ml and the container that the liquid is carried in must also only hold a maximum of 100mls this is a DFT requirement for any liquids that are carried into the aircraft cabin.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I travel with my e-liquid in an original vendor-labeled container, and put it (and my current filled Nova top) into the liquids ziploc with all the shampoo, toothpaste, etc.(*) I have no problems in countries that don't actually BAN e-cigs. I think the places you cannot go are only a few like Singapore, Maylasia, maybe Brazil, and a couple of others.

HOWEVER, going through Heathrow we saw a vaper have her PV confiscated for vaping in the security line. Most airports don't know how to distinguish between vaping and smoking, so I do NOT vape openly in front of airport officials of any kind. Save the stealth vaping for deserted corners, chairs facing out a window, not right in front of people.

I also sometimes get a really hot cup of coffee, then inhale from my PV, hold it, and exhale into my steaming coffee cup.

(*) I put smaller ziplocs inside the quart/liter ziploc, to separate things that should not be mixed, I don't want e-liquid OR insect repellent in my toothpaste!)

_Nix

Jan 16, 2013
United Kingdom
I've taken various bits of vaping kit on my travels and not had any problems as to the security element of ecigs. Certainly I wouldn't vape out in the open anywhere inside the airport; it's going to just cause hassle, so be really discrete if you have to.

Regarding the security though:
First time was to Venice, flying on BA. At the first security check I showed the officers my Ego and they seemed interested but advised that I didnt have to put the Kanger into a plastic bag; just carry it as hand luggage.

Next trip out was to JFK. This time slightly different: put my provari into checked luggage and carried the Ego. No issues again.

Third time out to JFK: carry on the provari. I was more nervous this time as it doesnt take much imagination to think what this could look like on an xray machine. No issues at Heathrow. On the way back I spoke to a TSA officer and she didnt care, just asked me to scan everything. No issues this time.

Regarding the eliquid; I checked in all liquid, although nothing to stop you carrying some in a plastic bag as hand luggage.

Virgin Atlantic advise that no smoking is allowed, including ecigs. After the long haul to JFK for the first time I noticed I didnt have the massive cravings that I used to when on analogs- a pleasant surprise!

_Nix

Jan 16, 2013
United Kingdom
I suppose I tempted fate but I've just returned from a trip and had a bad experience.

Firstly; just like many times before I kept the provari in my hand luggage. No issues at all until outbound from JFK and they removed my bag, took me to one side to explain if I had any "interesting items". Long story short, I declared the Provari and security we ok with it but asked me to place it outside of my bag in a tray next time.

So after that small delay, we arrived at our hotel. A small sleep later and we caught the plane to our final destination. Upon arrival at the hotel I opened my case and discovered some items missing. I'm not sure exactly where the items went missing, but after an email to the airline they suggested that the incident happened between check in and before the TSA had the pleasure of handling my baggage. If you know JFK, you'll know that after check-in you take your suitcase directly to a TSA official and they take it from there. So we are potentially looking at a problem with some other baggage handler. Anyway, enough with the blame game.

I had carefully wrapped various juices, clearos etc in clingfilm, placed them all into a tupperware box and sealed it up. When I opened my case the box was completely empty. Most annoyingly the battery extension cap had been taken as well, along with the carto piercing tool :(

My advice would be to take all of your vaping gear in hand luggage and place the juices in a plastic bag. This is the safest way for sure. I'm annoyed that in this scenario the airline have told me to claim on my personal insurance. they also say that you should inspect your luggage at the carousel and report any problems before leaving the airport. Safe to say I've seen 0 people do this at the airport!!

I suppose losing about £60 worth of swag isn't so bad, but it is disappointing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread