Geekvape ammit mtl rda

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Thanks. Also: If someone would try to remove the o-rings from the base, and see if the top cap wiggles that would be 100% helpful.
I have bought this atomizer today and I am just breaking it in. I had a quite a lot of difficulties to fit the coil without shorting it, but I’m a beginner with these things, and that was certainly my fault.
Now as for your “experiment”: I’ve seen your post a little late - everything was already filled with juice, but I tested it anyway. I’ve removed the o-rings and put the top cap back on, and in my case, it was still a very tight fit, and there was no wiggling. These o-rings are very thin, and they are seated in their groove, they won’t really help if there’s a large gap.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
If anyone's still following this thread: I've been using this rda for a few hours, and for what it's worth (it's my first rda), I really like it. So far, it hasn't leaked at all, and the long drip tip and multiple airflow regulation are really useful (see pic).

Attachments

• IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
If anyone's still following this thread: I've been using this RDA for a few hours, and for what it's worth (it's my first RDA), I really like it. So far, it hasn't leaked at all, and the long drip tip and multiple airflow regulation are really useful (see pic).
I have to agree with you. Great rda with solid flavor, no leaking and I ended up using the long drip tip as well. Plenty of airflow options is another plus. I’m running it almost all the way open for a good, slightly restricted pull but if you so desired, closing it down to one tiny hole gives it a mtl pull.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Well I finally got her yesterday, after a month on the road (not good 3F).
She really is a beauty and performing flawlessly...meeting about all my expectations. Excellent flavour and vapour. Draw is super smooth. Not the best throat hit, but hopefully its just me and the coil placement...
I didn't like any of the driptips (but I never do). I fitted one of my Nautilus 2 tips and loving it (I always do).
Its overtaken everything else and i'll be getting more of them forsure. Works great on TC to.

@mrjohs let's see if we can get on the same level with this, as I still maybe don't understand the problem.
The topcap measures 22.8mm and the base 22.6mm. That gives a 0.2mm clearance, for the topcap to wiggle, but that is by design. The o rings seals off that clearance. Am I on the right track here?

Last edited:

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
@mrjohs let's see if we can get on the same level with this, as I still maybe don't understand the problem.
The topcap measures 22.8mm and the base 22.6mm. That gives a 0.2mm clearance, for the topcap to wiggle, but that is by design. The o rings seals off that clearance. Am I on the right track here?

Hmmm... Maybe not quite. I made another video for 3fvape where I show the problem more clearly.

In the first experiment I blocked all the air holes on the deck. As you'll see I can still draw quite a bit of air through it. In the second experiment (at 1:02 in the video) I remove the o-rings, and you can see that there is play/distance between the inner chamber and the base. This is the reason I can draw air through it with the air holes plugged up.

Take a look:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Ah i'm with you now. Went back and read properly...:cool:
Your problem is with the inner chamber not sealing on the deck. I measured mine and there is a 0.2mm clearance between the inner chamber and the deck. Will be interesting to hear what yours measure...? The inner chamber overlaps the deck to the top of the air holes. I agree, they could've put an o ring there, but that would've complicated putting on the top cap more. Its kinda fiddly already putting on the top cap. The inner chamber can hug the deck if the top cap is held just a little scew, when replaced. That gap i'm sure isn't a fault. Its by design. That is where the air came from when you blocked the air holes.
Here is my theory on how the airflow works in there...
As i see it, when its in operation, liquid and condensation builds up in that gap. Its very minute. Only 0.1mm per side. That liquid/condensation seals the air escaping back through there, so the air follows the easier route through the channels. When its dry inside the chambers though, some air will escape through that gap, but not much, as air takes the route of least resistance. The route through the air channels is the better route to travel.
The reason you get a harsh throat hit is definitely air related. Have you played around with coil placement? I see the two air outlet channels at the coil, aren't at the same angle. Have you noticed that? Maybe the air don't hit your coil well to cool it down...?
The reason i say the gap is sealed by the liquid/condensation, is if i remove the top cap, after a good vape session, i can see the top of the deck is shiny/wet where the seal was broken...if you know what i mean...

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
As i see it, when its in operation, liquid and condensation builds up in that gap. Its very minute. Only 0.1mm per side. That liquid/condensation seals the air escaping back through there, so the air follows the easier route through the channels.

That might be, but I am not totally convinced.

I got a reply from 3fvape that they would convey my explanation to the factory. We'll see what that leads to. Maybe they release an updated design? That would be awesome.

You're probably right that an o-ring on the deck would make it awkward to fit the top cap. But maybe something like an RTA where you screw the top cap down, and the threads could be on the base/inner chamber?

Dude, I'm getting into the atomizer design business... Who's hiring?

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm fooling around with the coil placement, and it makes a mark difference. Notice the two air outlets aren't on the same angle. Little bit up or down has an effect on throat hit, and the temp of the vape.
I'm having the time of my vaping life with this thing....in fact its the best vape I ever had...!!!
Loading it with 50% thinned Aroma unflavoured 24mg WTA, and its like i'm smoking again...only this time it's better :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread