GeekVape Zeus RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I built a stainless steel version of the Zues X this morning using dual ss 316L 28g single spaced wire with a 3mm id at 4.4 ohms. I’m using the optional included ultem drip tip. Also wicked with rayon - thinned and fluffed tails long enough to just tuck into channels.

I’m not a huge fan of RTAs especially dual coil ones. I am a happy camper with the Zues single not as crazy about the dual Zeus though. I use a bottom or side airflow rda or RDTA 90% of the time for the outstanding flavor.

That being said, I find the flavor and vape density is wonderful of this atty!! My 1st tank is a DIY Milk Mustard and it’s hitting all the notes pretty much spot on with the airflow at half way to 1/3 open. I’m at 41 watts on a Revenger X using Power Mode.

DJLs said flavor was JUST AS GOOD with a single coil with an id of 4.0 to 4.5 with wicks thinned to fit into wicking channels sufficiently enough.

I enjoy a warm vape with anything from LOTS of air to restricted airflow. This atty has LOTS of af wide open. Closed down to about a 1:4 it gives a somewhat restrictive draw. Using a 510 would limit it even more for people prefer a “tighter” draw. This is right up my alley. It won’t be for people who like very rl hits.

I had no problems with the bottom o ring when taking it apart to wash or when building. It’s been mentioned as popping off easily.

The quality is typical Geekvape and excellent. Geekvape is making me become a RTA lover.

Wish I had thought to take build pics but the tank is almost empty I’ll take some before I refill it.

Here it is on the Revenger X...
View attachment 803031 View attachment 803033

Edit: added a couple of build shots

View attachment 803065 View attachment 803067
give a try to tempcontrol will be a great step with the tank, since you just starting loving RTA's, those dual SS316 coils could give a new experience!

Regards,

Reactions: KC0YNU

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
give a try to tempcontrol will be a great step with the tank, since you just starting loving RTA's, those dual SS316 coils could give a new experience!

Regards,

I may have been a bit confusing- I use to use RTAs then moved on to RDAs due to the intensity of the flavor.

I normally do use temp control but I know not everyone does that’s why I gave my thoughts on it in Power mode.

I’m using TCR mode now on DNA75C device and it’s very good.

Although now, I’m vaping some grape type of juice and I’ve lost some of the top notes and sourness that I get from my RDSa.

I’ll continue to experiment though.

Thanks for the feedback!

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I may have been a bit confusing- I use to use RTAs then moved on to RDAs due to the intensity of the flavor.

I normally do use temp control but I know not everyone does that’s why I gave my thoughts on it in Power mode.
totally in the point, many people gave up in TC because fiddling and so with TCR, coils, numbers and more...

I’m using TCR mode now on DNA75C device and it’s very good.

Although now, I’m vaping some grape type of juice and I’ve lost some of the top notes and sourness that I get from my RDSa.

I’ll continue to experiment though.

Thanks for the feedback!
interesting i did tried a few times to drip in temp control, gettin zero positive results, device was switching between power and tc, sometimes way to weak power and so, so, tried single coil RTA's on tempcontrol, now im using a mamit mtl rta, amazing, gonna see if move my themis or creed to tc too!

DNA based boards are the best ones for TC according several user reviews and sites!

Regards,

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
totally in the point, many people gave up in TC because fiddling and so with TCR, coils, numbers and more...

interesting i did tried a few times to drip in temp control, gettin zero positive results, device was switching between power and tc, sometimes way to weak power and so, so, tried single coil RTA's on tempcontrol, now im using a mamit mtl rta, amazing, gonna see if move my themis or creed to tc too!

DNA based boards are the best ones for TC according several user reviews and sites!

Regards,

Temp control has been a life saver as an RDA dripper from those dreaded dry hits!! I can usually tell when the coil is getting dry but if I’m not paying attention and take a long draw it’s bad news!!

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
Temp control has been a life saver as an RDA dripper from those dreaded dry hits!! I can usually tell when the coil is getting dry but if I’m not paying attention and take a long draw it’s bad news!!
well i did stopped using RDA's, RTA's and their wicking thing is now my passion, got lazy to drip and drip, i gotta confess, squonk or cotton feeder mods arent my thing, dont trust em that much ...

Regards,

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
What's the verdict on the Zeus X.....any candid opinions?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Ive only been using it for about 10days, so take these thoughts for what they are, new user opinion
I think its basically a dead rabbit copy with a few stylistic changes and wot not.
Its easy to wick as either a dual or single coil rta. I havnt had dry hits or flooding and I havnt been particular or precious about how I wick it.
Theres a lot of control of the airflow. From very tight/restricted to quite airy. Not as restricted when wide open as the Elevate but I think the Horus and Dead rabbit rta's have slightly greater airflow wide open.
It seems to function pretty well with a single coil, even a single 28g 316lss coil .68ohm, 3.5id. The coil looks tiny on the build deck!

Single coil needs to be kept low, down tight, to avoid a slight whistle, there is no whistle with a dual coil set up at any height. The higher the coil the less I like the sound of the draw but the flavour is slightly better. Slightly.
There is plenty of vapour production...just like any DL rta or tank.
If I compare it to only other single coil rta's while its set up with a single coil I rate it as a good single coil rta.
The Vapefly Horus always feel to me like it wants a beefier higher watt coil to be optimal, I dont have the same feeling about the Zeus X as a single coil device, it seems to be as good with lower watts, 14ish, much like the Elevate, Intake, Zeus single and others as well as beefier single coils 35-40ish watts. I dont vape over 40w so I cant comment on anything past that point.

The ZeusX as a dual coil set up works well, it basically "more" than a single coil set up, and thats all that I can really say about it, its just more. More heat, more vapour production, more juice consumption and a bit fuller taste.

End result after 10days of use is that I prefer the Elevate and Intake to the Zeus X as single coil and I prefer the Dead Rabbit as a dual coil RTA over the ZeusX, which surprised me. I also prefer the Dead rabbit with a single coil set up over the Zeus X with a single coil set up.

Im pretty much past the trying different coils and builds and testing for flavour with the Zeus X as of now and will move to unflavoured juice with it. It will stay in rotation to see if it starts to become a rta that gets picked up and used without thinking about it or if it gets bypassed for others in rotation.
Sometimes when vaping flavourless an rta that doesnt do so well in initial testing with flavours redeems itself in someways over time and becomes a favourite. With vaping flavourless it ends up being all about the draw, the sound and feel of the draw for me.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Ive only been using it for about 10days, so take these thoughts for what they are, new user opinion
I think its basically a dead rabbit copy with a few stylistic changes and wot not.
Its easy to wick as either a dual or single coil rta. I havnt had dry hits or flooding and I havnt been particular or precious about how I wick it.
Theres a lot of control of the airflow. From very tight/restricted to quite airy. Not as restricted when wide open as the Elevate but I think the Horus and Dead rabbit rta's have slightly greater airflow wide open.
It seems to function pretty well with a single coil, even a single 28g 316lss coil .68ohm, 3.5id. The coil looks tiny on the build deck!

Single coil needs to be kept low, down tight, to avoid a slight whistle, there is no whistle with a dual coil set up at any height. The higher the coil the less I like the sound of the draw but the flavour is slightly better. Slightly.
There is plenty of vapour production...just like any DL rta or tank.
If I compare it to only other single coil rta's while its set up with a single coil I rate it as a good single coil rta.
The Vapefly Horus always feel to me like it wants a beefier higher watt coil to be optimal, I dont have the same feeling about the Zeus X as a single coil device, it seems to be as good with lower watts, 14ish, much like the Elevate, Intake, Zeus single and others as well as beefier single coils 35-40ish watts. I dont vape over 40w so I cant comment on anything past that point.

The ZeusX as a dual coil set up works well, it basically "more" than a single coil set up, and thats all that I can really say about it, its just more. More heat, more vapour production, more juice consumption and a bit fuller taste.

End result after 10days of use is that I prefer the Elevate and Intake to the Zeus X as single coil and I prefer the Dead Rabbit as a dual coil RTA over the ZeusX, which surprised me. I also prefer the Dead rabbit with a single coil set up over the Zeus X with a single coil set up.

Im pretty much past the trying different coils and builds and testing for flavour with the Zeus X as of now and will move to unflavoured juice with it. It will stay in rotation to see if it starts to become a rta that gets picked up and used without thinking about it or if it gets bypassed for others in rotation.
Sometimes when vaping flavourless an rta that doesnt do so well in initial testing with flavours redeems itself in someways over time and becomes a favourite. With vaping flavourless it ends up being all about the draw, the sound and feel of the draw for me.
I’m glad to hear you have had success with single coil set ups. Even though it’s not your favorite RTA I have a couple of questions;

Do you think a 2.5 ID coil is too small to make work?

When filling I get massive flooding which I have to blow clear. What can be done to stop this?

My hope is to get a single coil build in that can work and per reviewers this should be possible.

I am using the same size coils as I did in the original Zues and I didn’t have these issues.

Any help or ideas from you or others would be appreciated.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I’m glad to hear you have had success with single coil set ups. Even though it’s not your favorite RTA I have a couple of questions;

Do you think a 2.5 ID coil is too small to make work?

When filling I get massive flooding which I have to blow clear. What can be done to stop this?

My hope is to get a single coil build in that can work and per reviewers this should be possible.

I am using the same size coils as I did in the original Zues and I didn’t have these issues.

Any help or ideas from you or others would be appreciated.
I havnt tried a 2.5id coil and probably wouldnt. 3id and 3.5id work fine and I only use 3-3.5id on dl rtas like this. MTL I use 2.5id
I honestly havnt had a problem with flooding over the 10days and maybe 5 different coils and dont know what might cause it to flood.
I never use bubble glass on any rta and I never fill to the top. I always only 3/4 fill a tank at most.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
I never use bubble glass on any rta and I never fill to the top. I always only 3/4 fill a tank at most.
thats my boy, i hate bubble glasses thats all,

If your going to use it as a single coil you need a pretty big coil to hold enough cotton to not let it flood. Im actually running a single radiator coil but its not small.
can i see that coil? interested since im planning to single coil my themis...

Regards,

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
If your going to use it as a single coil you need a pretty big coil to hold enough cotton to not let it flood. Im actually running a single radiator coil but its not small.
not really, I was quite surprised how easy to wick it is with out flooding.
My first attempt at a single coil in the Zeus X was to simply remove a coil from a dual coil set up and roll the remaining coil over to the centre. I simply spread out and tamped in the remaining cotton wick and no flooding occurred. It was half the amount of wick that was previously in it as a dual coil set up and it wasnt over packed in that set up. It as only a 3mm ID coil.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
not really, I was quite surprised how easy to wick it is with out flooding.
My first attempt at a single coil in the Zeus X was to simply remove a coil from a dual coil set up and roll the remaining coil over to the centre. I simply spread out and tamped in the remaining cotton wick and no flooding occurred. It was half the amount of wick that was previously in it as a dual coil set up and it wasnt over packed in that set up. It as only a 3mm ID coil.

One thing that makes me dislike Advken CP TF and Serpent Elevate is the cotton has to be lengthy (compare to the Zeus single coil), I am like wicking a RDTA. How about Zeus X, does the cotton has to travel a long way to reach the juice well down there?

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
One thing that makes me dislike Advken CP TF and Serpent Elevate is the cotton has to be lengthy (compare to the Zeus single coil), I am like wicking a RDTA. How about Zeus X, does the cotton has to travel a long way to reach the juice well down there?
Not at all, its actually shorter than the original

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
the way I have the Elevate and Zeus x set up the coil in the zues x is set slightly lower and has slightly shorter tails than the elevate.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
A (single coil) Zeus finding by my friend that I would like to share

My friend must have a bigger than average lung because every puff he takes will go beyond 7 seconds... quite often he will hit the security time limit (in general 10 seconds) set by a mod.

Recently, he bought a Zeus (single coil) tank through my recommendation and incidentally, the first coil he installed in it is the pre-made coil come in the box of the Zeus tank. He was so happy with the new tank until days later when he switches to another SS plain wire coil. He keep getting kind of dry hit at the end of a lengthy draw... So, he keeps switching to different coils: SS316, Kanthal, plain wire, various Clapton etc, but none can satisfy him.

He finally draws a conclusion, only those pre-made coils come in the box of Zeus tank is the real gem. So, he comes back to me for help. He asks me what coil is that? After a thorough study on the coil (I own 5 single coil Zeus tanks and have most of their pre-made coils reserved), he believes the pre-made coils in the Zeus box is Ni80 Super Alien:
Super Alien Coil.jpg

Well, theoretically, I don't believe certain kind of Clapton "A" will prevent dry hit (due to lengthy draw) better than Clapton "B". Anyway, I am obliged to help him buy a roll of "Super Alien" wire from Fasttech...:facepalm:

So, if you like big and lengthy draw or may be intensive chain-vaping with single coil Zeus, the Super Alien wire might be your real gem!:smokie:

VforVape

Mar 9, 2018
S-E Asia
Edit: after being disappointed with the loss of upper note flavors such as grape and lemon I raised the coils as far up as I could. The improvement in flavor was significant especially at those upper flavor notes.

Edit: added a couple of build shots. I ended up raising the coils higher than pictured for best flavor.

Are your coils positioned slightly higher than the side airflow holes or are they very close to the top airflow on the internal airflow chamber? This is my first time building this deck and I sure could use some tips. Currently mine are lower to be nearer the side airflow holes as I've found that raising them up closer to the top airflow holes tends to make it lose flavor.

• Useful

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Are your coils positioned slightly higher than the side airflow holes or are they very close to the top airflow on the internal airflow chamber? This is my first time building this deck and I sure could use some tips. Currently mine are lower to be nearer the side airflow holes as I've found that raising them up closer to the top airflow holes tends to make it lose flavor.

If you look at my build pics you can see that the coils are even with the air flow. I wasn’t impressed so I raised them so the airflow was hitting the very bottom of the coil. I didn’t bring them out to the sides though. The flavor is much better. But maybe I’ll try what you did next build.

I still prefer the flavor of the single coil over the dual and X. But I’m open to trying different options.

I’ll take pics next time the tanks empty.
F9974F7C-5318-4BC2-8B9C-705689D09495.jpeg
31040D8C-BB74-4409-91D8-79A1C8C17874.jpeg

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I built a stainless steel version of the Zues X this morning using dual ss 316L 28g single spaced wire with a 3mm id at 4.4 ohms. I’m using the optional included ultem drip tip. Also wicked with rayon - thinned and fluffed tails long enough to just tuck into channels.

I’m not a huge fan of RTAs especially dual coil ones. I am a happy camper with the Zues single not as crazy about the dual Zeus though. I use a bottom or side airflow RDA or RDTA 90% of the time for the outstanding flavor.

That being said, I find the flavor and vape density is wonderful of this atty!! My 1st tank is a DIY Milk Mustard and it’s hitting all the notes pretty much spot on with the airflow at half way to 1/3 open. I’m at 41 watts on a Revenger X using Power Mode.

DJLs said flavor was JUST AS GOOD with a single coil with an id of 4.0 to 4.5 with wicks thinned to fit into wicking channels sufficiently enough.

I enjoy a warm vape with anything from LOTS of air to restricted airflow. This atty has LOTS of af wide open. Closed down to about a 1:4 it gives a somewhat restrictive draw. Using a 510 would limit it even more for people prefer a “tighter” draw. This is right up my alley. It won’t be for people who like very rl hits.

I had no problems with the bottom o ring when taking it apart to wash or when building. It’s been mentioned as popping off easily.

The quality is typical Geekvape and excellent. Geekvape is making me become a RTA lover.

Wish I had thought to take build pics but the tank is almost empty I’ll take some before I refill it.

Edit: after being disappointed with the loss of upper note flavors such as grape and lemon I raised the coils as far up as I could. The improvement in flavor was significant especially at those upper flavor notes.

Edit: added a couple of build shots. I ended up raising the coils higher than pictured for best flavor.

Hey @Fidola13 , some how I missed this post of yours. In it you pretty much nailed my experience with the X. I could have just quoted your post and said something like "yep, nailed it" instead of getting all wordy and full of bad grammar. :)

I also prefer the single coil Zeus at this stage. But Im happy to keep plugging away with the X for a bit longer, it isnt terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread