Getting actual vg/pg percentages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar

May 31, 2019
I have been looking into making my own juice. It pretty straight forward getting down to the desired nic strength. Ill try to not be confusing, but im sure it will be anyways

Where it gets confusing is the vg/pg percentages. If you don't know what amount of vg or pg that is in the nicbase to begin with, there is no way to be 100% accurate on the vg/pg. The amount of glycerine in each manufacturer may be different. Unless 100% nicotine is used, or you know the exact amount of vg/pg used in the nicbase. Then there's no way to be accurate. Im guessing that manufacturers don't use 100% nicotine when making juice, which makes me think there is at least a 5-8% variation depending upon batch sizes.

I know that a slight difference in the glycerine percentage won't be much of a factor, not like it would be with the amount of nicotine (for most people)

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Cougar, where are you buying your ingredients from (links are helpful, and can be very informative)? I have only purchased from USA suppliers; so, I can't talk intelligently about suppliers from other countries.

Reputable suppliers in the US; will always disclose the type of carrier used for their nicotine solutions. Whether it is PG, VG, or some combination thereof. Likewise, of you are buying a PG/VG blend (instead of separate PG and VG), this ratio is always disclosed.

That being the case; I am afraid I do understand where your confusion is coming from. Unless... you are trying to account for the "not-PG/VG" material too.

Miscellaneous components (molecules/chemical compounds) found in our routine DIY ingredients (nicotine base, PG base, VG base, flavor concentrates), that are not PG or VG (such as nicotine, water, ethanol/alcohol, flavor molecules, etc.); they are neither PG or VG... and therefore, do not count toward (affect) the final PG/VG ratio.

In other words, if I am using 100mg/mL (10%) nicotine in a 100% PG base (carrier), I count it as 100% PG. Not 90% PG + 10% other (nicotine in this case)... even though the latter, is the truer representation.

A flavor concentrate, may be made up of 85% worth of components, that are neither PG, or VG. And, it only has 15% PG, to act as the carrier (keeping all the other molecules in suspension). I still identify that flavor concentrate as "100% PG"... solely because it does not have any VG in it.

If we, as simple home DIYers, were to try to account for every last (non-PG/VG) component... we would be faced with an impossible task... not to mention; the PG/VG ratio would/could never be stated as "100%" (be it: 100%, 50%/50%, 30%/70%, 60%/40%, etc.).

• Winner
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I meant it as in nicbase with PG, or nicbase with VG. I didn't mean it as nicbase with VG and PG. Even though I have seen it where u can get the desired nicotine strength with different VG/PG ratios. I guess that slight degree doesn't matter to everyone. My OCD likes precision

Which DIY calculator are you using?
Which brand is your nicotine base?

Could you please post the recipe or circumstance that brought the issue to your attention?
Do you have an example that demonstrates the issue you believe exists?

What significant observable difference exists between a 48/52 ratio vs a 52/48 ratio? Under what conditions would increased precision improve or enhance, well..anything?

Cheers
I

If you have mental health issues please see a doctor.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Think of the nicotine itself as an ethereal quantity that consumes no volume in the carrier solution.
This works for accuracy levels not needing scientific equipment. 100mg/ml nic base is still 90% PG/VG so in a juice one might actually use the nic is frequently 1-2% or less PLUS it’s in solution. Using regular measurement you can’t even detect that kind of change.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I mix "in the vecinity of". I use steam-engine.org as my calculator and most of the time nic is 100%PG base, so for 75% VG I mostly cover that with the flavoring and the nic. But, do use the calculator, and make sure what the base is before buying.

I like Steam, simple, easy to read. BUT….I have found that sometimes values freeze depending on the browser you are using (cough, Firefox). A refresh of the web page corrects, but something to keep in mind. I have been caught out by this slight bug. I have since developed my own calculator using Excel which is accessible through any device and much easier on my tired old eyes

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Nicotine comes in a solution of either PG or VG. I'm confused why you would think it would be a mix of both. Exception: salt nic is sometimes sold as 50/50 to allow mixing a full range of high-strength recipes.

Whether you’re interested or not, but Broke Vaper sells pre mixed nic at specific levels of nicotine with a VG/PG mixed base. Use code ELRECIPES for 10% off

Flavourless Ejuice Base | The Broke Vaper

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Most any calculator will figure in your vg/pg if used properly. I like elr recipes calculator. I recommend buying freebase or salts in pg base, so much easier to work with. If you just enter a recipe into a calculator you would see how it takes into account the vg or pg of your nic and flavors so you end up with a true 70vg/30pg juice for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread