Getting others to start VAPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgardner23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2012
nebraska
Ok so i have been vaping for a few months and want to get my dad off cigarettes and to start vaping he is a 2 pack a day smoker literally always has a cigarette in his mouth unless he is sleeping or eating and always said he won't quit smoking until "they throw dirt in his face" (dies) so i don't know if its a bad idea to even bring it up to him cause he doesn't want to quit smoking.

i was just wondering if anyone else was like my dad and never wanted to quit analogs and what got you to switch to e-cigs.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I always follow the saying don't give advice unless someone asks for it. For me that's almost impossible, but I bite my tongue. A lot. :D

I know you want to see him quit. When we find how great vaping is we become almost evangelical about it. I know I did because to me, vaping was really a miracle. Trying and failing to convert some friends and family, I think the best approach is to give them time to see how you're doing and wait for them to approach you.

I don't 'get' why some people I know won't even try vaping when all they do is talk about wanting to quit. It's a mystery to me. But if they ask, I'll be happy to help them get started. It's really all you can do.

juice_abuse

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
UK
I would also agree with the sentiments above. From a personal point of view, there was a time when I wanted to do analogues, but eventually got sick of them, and looked at alternatives such a NRT and eventually vaping. You have to have the will to quit analogues, if someone forces it on you, you become even more resistant. As above, don't be pushy, be quite neutral and if he asks about it eventually, then you should inform him.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I'm going through the same thing with my Sweeties Mom. 73yrs old, had a stroke, etc. Took her to a local B/M shop, found the flavor she liked, got her a eGo battery, in other words set her up. Let her have some of my kGo's and also some extra tanks. A good friend sent me some WTA juice that was VG and unfortunately I can't handle the VG. She would rather smoke cigarettes than vape. But every day I make sure they are within her reach. Once in a great while and I mean not very often l will see her pick one up and vape just a bit. At least in my mind I tried, now the choice is hers.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Thank you guys for the help i will continue to vape around him. its just so strange to me that more people won't even consider trying it or anything.

Unfortunately some people are under a very bad impression about vaping. The place where I work is a perfect example. They saw one report that was bad and believe that one bad report is the complete law. A lot of the folks that have asked me about that thing in my uniform have always been amazed when I explain things to them. I try to be discreet in my use but after turning in my resignation, and telling people where I'll be going, I've gotten some really amazing comments, good and bad. Cause I'm going to work for a local B/M shop so I can try to help those that are interested.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Buy him a disposable and see if he will try it. If he does and likes it, then maybe he will be interested in cutting back on the cigs with vaping. Try the NJOY King which you can get for $2.99 right now. If you explain that he doesn't have to quit, but he can cut back on the number he smokes, he may be more receptive. It is that threat of having to give up the cigs that turns committed smokers off. Many people have approached vaping this way rather than the all or nothing that others use. If he is totally unreceptive to the idea, then you will just have to accept that. Do not preach.

Cease

Dec 19, 2012
lovin the vape
Good advice here already.

Natural curiosity has prompted most other smokers to ask questions about my vaping. "What is that?" "Does it really work?" "How difficult was it for you to give up smokes?" are always the questions I get. A lot of my family are long time smokers, so I feel ya, tgardner.

I had occasion to talk about vaping with my uncle last week after I had first started vaping. He was intrigued by the idea, but had no interest in trying out my device. Since I know him as I do, I am sure there will be more conversation. The older generation of men in my family typically take their own good time to think things over before they are ready to persue anything deeper. Honestly, I am looking forward to future conversations.

Just keep the communication line open. Don't hound him about quitting or switching. The last thing you want is to hit the "pry it out of my cold, dead fingers" spiel. ;)

Rev Narwhal

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2012
I have several batteries and tanks, and frequently have at least two full units with me. At work, I left one in a coworkers office for the day and told him to use it as much as he wanted. By break time he notices that his craving for an analog cigarette was almost none. The key to getting people to try, and my own personal success has centered around the idea that I am not quitting smoking... and I am not encouraging them to quit smoking. My excuse for starting with the vapor was because I didn't want to go outside during this winter to smoke, so I wanted an alternative. I know it's mad brain science, but I tricked myself into trying it that way, and I trick others the same way. I am not an ex smoker, I just haven't smoked a cigarette in a month. If I want to have one, I am totally allowed, but the last one I had tasted horrible. Opps, accidental success.

Instead of worrying about selling your dad on making the switch, make him party to your evolution as a vaping hobbyist. Anything that involves little metal parts, batteries, oil and things that get hot makes for great conversation between most guys, assuming that your dad is the same, and given the fact that you've just recently made the switch yourself, the "gear" end of vaping will become an ongoing topic for you, and I'm betting that if you just keep him up to date on your latest purchases, experiences and wishlist items that he'll ultimately become curious (and knowledgeable by virtue of exposure to your hobby) enough to give them a fair shot.

Sonso

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2012
Florida
I was exactly like your Dad. For 49 years I chain smoked. Nobody was going to tell me what to do and I sure didn't even want to try to quit smoking. I know was smoking more than 2 packs. I only reason I found vaping was because I got ...... when I couldn't go anywhere with my kids and smoke in their cars. I got a little look alike e-cig and thought I was set. How could they complain. Well it never happened because I tried it for a test run. It was horrible! I coughed like a maniac. But something about it made me pick it up over ... and over. All of a sudden I realized it tasted pretty good. It was laying there along side my regular smokes. I found I wanted to use it instead. Next thing I knew I was ordering eGOs, juices and watching Phil Busardo! Now that was only a few weeks ago but I haven't smoked since and don't want to. No misery, no guilt, and dang it I found vaping a lot of fun!

If your Dad is like me he will suffer through isolation, inconvenience, and being treated like a sub human species to keep his smokes. You might try offering one to him as something to get him through social situations. Be sure and tell him he can smoke and vape together. Good luck! I hope it floats his boat like it did mine!

padyakol

Oct 15, 2012
Philippines
I am giving my dad an e-cig for xmas, i decided to get him a lavatube.. Some may say it is an overkill and i should have gotten him an eGo-T for starters but I am hoping he really quits analog and turn into vaping instead so i thought having the added features of a variable e-cig may interest him. He smokes a lot like and anywhere he wants which is an inconvenience to some. As the saying goes "its hard to teach old dogs new tricks", but i am hoping he really quits analogs so he can enjoy more more years with my newly born son. With that said, if he does not use it I can always add the lavatube to my collection.

Last edited:

tacedeous

Moved On
Jun 17, 2012
BayArea
  • Deleted by Valsacar

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I'm going to try and convert my brother-in-law when I see him this x-mas. I will be staying with him for a week and am bringing an extra ego+clearo for him to try out and use while I'm there. I'm not really going to hard sell it . .I'll just explain that it's healthier, cheaper and he can do it anywhere . .and then let him try one out and decide. I imagine he'll be into it. I bet he won't give up real ciggies completely, but I could imagine him limiting them to social occassions and using the vape at work and at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread