Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Received my version 2 of the Automatic Feed System this morning from Rob at Vapor Kings - DSE801, DSE901, Joye510 and KR808D-1 e-Cigarette supplies . Came with the system, and a 3.7v ioatty. Ordered two additional 3.7's and two 6v io atties as well. List price of AFS by itself is $112.00 USD with the single atty. It is the 'all mods' version of the unit, which can work with any PV with a 901 connector. A specialized version made to only work with the GG Telescopic System is yet to be released.

My GGTS's have been sitting in a drawer, slowly oxidizing in the dark, while I've been playing with other 3rd generation PV's for the past few weeks. They're still every bit as functional and beautiful as when I got them...but I've just been a bit blase about even the best 2nd gen mods ever since functional 3rds have been released. Ease of use, convenience, and most of all TASTE, have been drawing me to the new units.

The GGTS is just too versatile, functional-and expensive-to be relegated to a back up mod, so I jumped at the chance to retrofit mine.

The AFS is darned pretty. It shines and glistens, and has the GG logo etched onto the side. It looks like it could be at home in a medical operating room, jeweler's bench, or on a console at NASA. Combined with the GGTS, it either looks kind of like a light saber or Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver. (Sorry for having to go 'old school' nerd on you.)

Setup took five minutes, but was manageable after watching imeo's videos and looking at his written installation instructions with pictures on the gg website. (Which is a point I harped on with my abortive attempts to vape the version 1 a few weeks back.)

If you had a version one, there is no comparison with installation and vaping on the v2. V1 had a learning curve that was the equivalent of a MiT PhD, v2 is more like the first few weeks at a vo-tech.

The v2 has a tank than can take up to 6ml of e juice and an adjustable draw feature for more of an airy or tight vape. The same feature promises to make vaping any mixture of ejuice a possibility. It also can be used to seal the afs completely for leak free transportation. Specialized mouthpieces are supposedly on their way to the states to enhance the unit's appearance and vaping experience.

Except for trying to open the unit to see how much juice you've gone through (which I don't recommend if it's fairly full) I haven't had an issue with it so far. The vape is extremely rich, wet and flavorful, while still retaining decent throat hit....nice! It doesn't blow fumes of vape at 3.7v like a couple of other mods I've tried, but these days I'm about TH and taste, not showing off. And using it along with my favorite 18650 battery promises hassle free, imminently luggable all day vaping. I thought I loved the 510 with that combination before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the AFS rusts onto the top of my GGTS.

Right now, I'm really infatuated with this combo; it takes me at least a few days to fall in love. :D I'll put this through its paces in the next few weeks and keep checking back with any discoveries or muddled thoughts.

So far, though, I'm very impressed.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
The afs w/ggts has a smooth, utterly dependable, surgical precision. Hit the button, get a vape. Repeat. Again, it's not a fog machine at 3.7v, but it's very measured, certain and civilized. Kind of like the grey poupon of 3rd gen mods.

Not having to prime a bottle for juice is nice, too. Hmm...gravity. Who would have thought of that?

I'm guessing I should get some good atty life with this system, especially at 3.7v. Being surrounded by juice should draw heat away from the atty, like a fuel filter in the gas tank of a car.

Soon as I'm done with my tank of PG, it's on to syrupy VG. Then, once I'm feeling braver, some high voltage action.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Almost done with the PG tank. I've got a bit of a phobia about vaping the tank dry and burning a $13.00 atty, so I'm checking it quite a bit. I don't know if it's feasible to do, but a transparent window on the side to monitor juice usage would be a really great addition to the AFS.

As mentioned in the AFS threads and imeo's videos, it's easy to take care of a dry atty, choke off the air intake, take two baby puffs, and you're back in business.

The other thing I'm noticing is that the AFS vapes equally well with totally full tank or an almost empty one. I've tried other mods that can do one or the other, but not both.

The only minor annoyance I've noticed is the tendency of the afs to flood to the point of getting juice in your mouth when you refill or loosen the top cap (to check on it). The problem so far has always resolved itself with a few puffs (followed by spitting onto a napkin, paper towel or sleeve) and a new mouthpiece custom made for the afs is supposed to alleviate this problem.

Oh, and when filling up with juice (or opening up the top cap), make sure the air inlets are completely closed off or you will have a wet hand very shortly.

I can tell when the system is working, because when I'm vaping, I can hear very soft, muffled slurping noises coming from inside the afs. I'm going to have to take it to a meeting and sit next to the slightly older chick to see if she gives me the 'pi$$ed off momma in church' look that I get when vaping some of my noiser mods.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
I've got a love/hate relationship with some thick syrupy, VG juice in my drawer. Great vape, decent taste, but it clogs up attys and carts on my 2nd gen mods. Once it's in, I almost have to wash it out of my attys or blue foam. And I'd have to regularly blow it out of my 510s for them to work. I'd have to cut it with PG to enjoy it, so I'd end up vaping 'chocolate marlboro' or 'coconut clove' to use it on a regular basis.

They were almost as difficult on the other 3rd gens that I've tried. The carlos juice box handled it very well (since it was designed to use VG), the Reo vaped decently, and the others would cough and die if introduced to it.

Accordingly, being told that the AFSv2AM (GG AFS 2nd version for all mods) would handle both PG and VG equally well left me feeling skeptical. "Yeah, right..." was my exact thoughts on this promise.

Vaped the last of my pg, swabbed out the remnants with a few qtips this morning, and poured the last of my chocolate VG into the AFS. After taking a few curious tasting drags, probably from the last of the PG being left in the atty, the VG starting shining through.

And I haven't had a single problem with it so far. The AFS appears to be juice neutral. Haven't even had to adjust the air intake to accommodate the increased viscosity. The AFS doesn't seem to care what I'm vaping in it.

While the flavor on my VG is more nuanced and subtle, the AFS still does a good job at translating it in the vape. I think I've gone from really infatuated to downright impressed.

BTW: Rob at Vaporkings informed me that the atty flooding while refilling can be caused by putting two top pieces back on the tank together instead of individually. The latter seems to take care of the juice in mouth problem I've encountered in my first few drags after refilling.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Almost done with the chocolate VG. May load it with coconut VG for later today, which is an even subtler flavor. Or, I may load it up with my favorite PG flavor...choice is good.

Feel more confident about emptying the tank, despite my atty popping phobia. The AFS seems to be good about using every last bit of juice, so I'll worry about refilling it when I quit hearing the muffled slurping sound while vaping.

Wow, the AFS is so shiny, it even makes my newer model ggts seem almost dross.

I've also picked up my CJB for a few puffs for a comparison after vaping the AFS for a full day. There's no denying it, the JB has better TH and taste. But it seems to require a lot guesswork and effort than the AFS. And the light draw-and more specifically, the lack of the ability to adjust it-seems to be a bit annoying now.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. It seems the CJB is a better vape if you take the time, concentration and effort to use it. The AFS is more for consistently, uniformly getting results without thinking or effort.

The AFS is going with me in the old suit inside pocket again, while the CJB is being relegated to beside my favorite easy chair at home.

After this next tank, I'll have to try the AFS with the 6v ioatty to see if that evens the playing field vape wise.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
The AFS I've got is for all mods that use a 901 atomizer. It should also be able to be used on other battery connections via adapters.

What I'm wondering is if this will have an 'iPod halo effect'. Supposedly, after people bought the iPod and used it with their PC's, they enjoyed it so much that they started to consider all apple products positively. When their PC's broke or needed replacing, they considered buying a mac over a pc when they wouldn't have before buying the iPod. People coming into retail establishments would walk by rows of shiny apple computers on their way to purchase their mp3 players. Supposedly, sales of the iPod later accelerated sales of apple computers.

Version one of the AFS required GG ownership. Unless Lisa or Rob had your name in their files, or you could prove that you bought one secondhand, you weren't eligible to purchase one. You could only buy one if you were fortunate enough to catch one on the ECF classifieds.

Not only is there not a requirement to buy the 2nd version, it specifically states that it is for any 901 PV. It's even referred to as the 'all mods' version to differentiate it from the GGTS version due out in (hopefully) another month.

I'm wondering if Imeo pulled a page out of Steve Job's playbook in making the all mods AFS. Suppose that a person contentedly using their favorite 901 PV would hear about the AFS buzz, check it out, and (after some grumbling about price) decide to try the no dripping option on what they already owned. Some GG'ers have sold their v1's on the ecf classifieds to the great unwashed masses, so this is not entirely out of the question.

Let's say that person then really liked and enjoyed their AFS for the features I've been talking about through this thread. I don't think that's too much of a stretch of the imagination.

It then comes time for said consumer to get another PV for a number of reasons: malfunction/breakage, loss, theft, gift to someone, wanting different battery options, etc. The question is, would that person be more likely to buy a GGTS or other GG product despite the higher cost (again, like a mac) due to their experiences with the AFS?

If you're a GG virgin that bought an AFS, please PM me or feel free to post here. Tell me what you think of it, and if it might entice you to plunk some coin down for a GG mod.

I've had some people complain to me privately that the GG to Apple comparison is apt for a couple of other reasons, but I'll keep those to myself.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Was having a slight leakage issue, especially when replacing the top cap. Took off the very top and bottom o-rings per the gg forums to stop the seepage, and it appears to work. Also, did my favorite little trick of taking a few puffs at 6v to shock a 3.7v atty into behaving.

It seems that the o ring trick is making the flavors taste better....richer. I'll post a question on the gg forum...imeo is great about responding to queries, but doesn't wander outside of his walled kingdom, and verify this.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
My God, cinnamon pg/vg mix on this is like sucking on a piece of cinnamon candy! Wow!

Two unknowns concerning this are the only thing keeping me from marrying this mod and trying to have children with it. :ohmy:

One is how long the iattys will last at 3.7v on the AFS. They are $13 a throw and up. If I can get two weeks use out of one, I think that would be sufficient. Of course, more would be better. Only time will tell, but so far (almost one week), so good.

The only other potential trouble is the fact that the attys that now work in the mod are customized with an extra laser drilled hole. My great joy in using this mod would be greatly diminished if supply or shipping problems keep me from getting a replacement atomizer for a few days, weeks, or months.

I'm reading on the GG boards that Imeo is working on an update to the AFS that will allow it to take a wider selection of stock attys. He almost always delivers what he promises (I didn't say WHEN, but what, mind you!) so that may remedy this potential problem. If the update with stock atts gives the same type of vape as the 3.7, this this mod-pricey as it is-will be unbeatable.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
But I went ahead and bought the plastic mouthpiece for the afs. Rob was kind enough to throw in a proper mid level o ring (17x1mm) in the package while he was at it.

Following a couple of posts on the gg forum and rob's own advice, i put all the other original (top and bottom) o rings on the mod.

No leaks, vape and taste seem to be unaffected. Best of all, I can take long slow draws at 3.7v and not get juice in my mouth.

It does positively effect the vaping characteristics of the mod, it's custom made in small batches, and I know Imeo, Rob and Lisa have to eat. But at the same time, $16.00 for a tiny piece of plastic is a bit hard to swallow. With the cost of the AFSv2am at $112, the extra money may cause a few prospective buyers to balk. Hopefully, this will start being incorporated into the cost of the mod.

There's also a stainless steel tip on the way, but if plastic is $16.00, I shudder at what the cost of it will be. I''ve hidden the cost of the plastic one from the spousal unit already; much more than that would be just cause for her to murder me.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
One of my favorite little tricks to reinvigorate a lagging 3.7 atty is to take a few puffs at 6v to shock it back to life.

Must have forgotten what I was doing, because after a few minutes vapor was no longer coming out of the afs. Oops. I suddenly remembered why I all but gave up on HV vaping a few months back. I'm not disappointed with the atty, but aggravated with myself. I'll try washing it out and repriming it, but I'm pretty sure it's dead.

I decided to make the best of it, and get around to trying 6v on the afs. Washed the tank out*, reassembled the afs**, and put in one of the i6 ioattys I had previously bought but never used, and loaded it up with my coconut vg juice.

This thing really puts out thick clouds of vape at HV. The AFS seems to handle HV vaping with no more effort than 3.7v. Push the button, get some vape. Repeat.

But the taste of the VG juice, subtle at best, is completely lost at 6v. I'll have to try to refill with some more flavorful PG later on today. Time to pull out the cr123s and chargers and give it a go for a while. I'll be looking at how HV affects the taste of my favorite juices (taste is the big reason why I love 3rd gens), battery use and consumption, if it affects juice consumption, and how the attys will last at 6v.*** Worst case scenario is that I may have to limit HV vaping to my most flavorful cinnamon and peppermint juices. Meanwhile, I'll stay in touch.

*Changing juices is a shortcoming in this mod. While no design is perfect and has strengths and weaknesses, you have to disassemble and wash the afs to completely get the juice taste out of it. An easier way is to use complimentary flavors. Vape out banana juice, fill up with chocolate, and vape some chocolate covered banana until it becomes chocolate. Some people have posted on the gg forum that they've bought two afses for this task, but this personally makes as much financial sense as wiping your ... with five dollar bills.

**Not the easiest thing to do when you're tired in the morning; took me a few tries. Vaguely reminded me of having to field strip a M-16 on a tactical exercise after a night of no sleep to simulate combat conditions. All I needed to complete the experience was a pi$$ed off Major in a poncho taking notes of my performance.

***I expect attys to last at at least a week or two, period. Don't try to make an argument that an atty lasting eight days saved me x amount over smoking: a) it's a PITA to constantly order spare parts b) it's a PITA to have to carry spare parts c) its a bigger PITA to clean and reassemble the AFS in your kitchen-forget about at your desk or in your car d) if I loved buying attys, I would have stuck with my other, earlier mods instead of going the GG route.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Later in the morning, my afs started to vape less, and simultaneously started to leak. Like a sieve. My coat now smells of coconut and chocolate. OTOH, the judges' clerks treated me well this morning, so I may have to start doing that on a regular basis.

Had a little slack time, so I was able to dump juice, wash the afs and reassemble it. No problems, at least for now. Vaping hard and bone dry.

My working hypothesis is that I didn't either tighten something enough earlier this morning and/or I may have overtightened the O2 control ring and screwed something else loose when I re tightened it.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
1. After washing and reassembly, still had juice seepage at brass connection/ control ring junction after an hour or so, just like last time. But mod was still usable. Took o rings off of very top and bottom (brass) connections as suggested by vapnaway's afs thread to see if this fixes the problem. Just like last time, removing these rings seems to enhance the flavor of the juice and give a greater volume of vape.

2. Imeo has announced on the gg forum that he's confident that the afsv2am should work with ANY 901 atty*. This should a) alleviate any fears that you may get caught without a special atty in an emergency, and b) may serve to lower the long term costs of using this mod.

*It remains to be seen if they'll vape as well as the special iattys for the mod. But you have to give props to Imeo for making the announcement. A lesser man would have kept that info to himself to keep his profits up.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
You are a true writer, I really like the way you express yourself!. I have been using the AFS V2 for a week or so now, tried with the i-atties, regular 901's and made the hole a little bigger but only with cartomizers it is really the best in terms of flavor. Vaping on the pass through at 5V or on 6 volts with batties is the best of the best, als aspects: flavor, taste, throat hit and loads of vapor, no leaking, no primal puffs, no burned taste...just all day long happy vaping!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread