clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Damn it, I blew a carto at 6v again!

Now I'm afoot with no vape! :mad::mad::mad:

I may have to go back to the drawing board on modding cartos....:confused: Maybe I've strayed from emonty's instructions just enough to frak it up.

They start fine, then taste harsh, and quit working. So evidently, juice isn't getting to them sufficiently, even though I can taste the cigar juice peeking through the 555 blend that they came with.

On this last batch, I put the hole down lower; may have to move it up again. Will also check the last one left to see if I've tamped the filler down far enough under the hole.

Frak me! Well, it looks like the CJB may be going with me to the land of lincoln and back.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
My last modded carto appears to be a winner! :)

Think I'll take the ggts/afs maybe a i6 iatty with a blue foamed cart along with the cr123's and charger.

Was also thinking about taking the CJB and a couple of 18650's, but that just may be overkill.

This last (modded) carto is just behaving differently from the other two today from the get go: lighter draw, and the cigar is coming definitely coming through from the very beginning. If this last bugger gives up the ghost, I'll just close up the CR, throw the afs in a bag, and go directly to the blue foam.

The vaping curve on the CJB is difficult enough in my easy chair in the living room, I don't want to frak with it going 70 mph down I-70 if I don't have to.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
After consultation, contemplation and much neurotic worrying....I decided to take the tdi beetle.

Also taking the cartoed afs, a i6 iatty with blue foamed cart as a backup, and the mkv with a couple of 18650's as a backup, change of pace.

Getting ready to jump on the interstate....wish me luck!

Will have to stop in Missouri on the way back for some fireworks...:evil:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Everything went well, thank God. Beetle held up well, almost getting 50 mpg. Last carto did well in the AFS. Got some stuff in Missouri that's no longer sold here.

Spent Saturday night with my sister in Topeka, and had a nice visit before the five hour trip back to red dirt country Sunday.

Other than being exhausted, everything went without a hitch. I've got to drive for almost four hours for my job today, which is not really appealing to me right now.

And, for roughly what would have been my share of the airfare in flying the kids, I've got a car that is actually somewhat enjoyable to drive again. Not bad.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Last modded carto went out tonight, bow your heads please for a moment of silence.... Started to get the burnt taste again, and then it went cold.

Didn't feel like getting the dremel out to kill-er, modify-some more tonight, so I threw on an i6 iatty and filled the afs up with some keroke coffee from vapor renu.

So far, none of the leaking that I've had when using atties on this previously. Good. A little minor seepage, noticeable only when I close the CR; I'll have to wrap it in a napkin when I take it with me into the world again tomorrow.

The vape is different than on a carto, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's a bit cooler, and not as dense. Taste seems to be enhanced a bit, but I probably should have filled it with the same cigar juice I used with the cartos.
Oh well.

Definitely will take the dremel to the remaining four cartos sometime in the next week or so, but I'm tempted to leave the iatty on for a bit for a change of pace. Not sure if I'll wait for the new cartos from vaporking to buy some more, or see how much the price drops on the existing ones-hard to pass up a good bargain.:D

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Damn it, I blew a carto at 6v again!

Now I'm afoot with no vape! :mad::mad::mad:

I may have to go back to the drawing board on modding cartos....:confused: Maybe I've strayed from emonty's instructions just enough to frak it up.

They start fine, then taste harsh, and quit working. So evidently, juice isn't getting to them sufficiently, even though I can taste the cigar juice peeking through the 555 blend that they came with.

On this last batch, I put the hole down lower; may have to move it up again. Will also check the last one left to see if I've tamped the filler down far enough under the hole.

Frak me! Well, it looks like the CJB may be going with me to the land of lincoln and back.
Damn, that sucks bro :( Maybe try some other model?

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
How come this happens so often?

1. Dunno. But I've heard it said the cartos aren't really made for 6v. A week isn't bad for one.

2. Kind of hard to try another model when you've drilled or punch holes in all of yours....:unsure:

3. I've been playing with 510LR attys in another mod the last couple of days, and I'm impressed. I'm wondering if they'd work in either the AM or the Grande. Anyone know? HVish vaping with 18650 battery life on an AFS of some sort would be sweet!

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
1/16th = 1.2mm or 1.6mm ??? And which one is it ???? I'm going to start drilling soon need help to get my cartos to work !!!!

1.2 mm. Just received the new turbo carto's, they are even better, the batting is better, slots (threads) a little bigger and the soft caps are back, so no glue to get rid off.....

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
So far, so good. Both Grandes are hanging in there with no major problems. One has a kr808d-1 carto at 6v (cigar juice), the other an i3 atty at 3.7.

The seepage/leakage problems seem to have improved over time; maybe there's a break in period with these bad boys. In any case, this hasn't been as bad as the AM had been...at most a drop of two of juice on the outside of the units, versus a small rivulet of juice when the other was misbehaving. Certainly I would have wasted more in dripping or refilling carts.

I'm still struggling to answer the question if an current AM owner 'needs' to buy a Grande. To a certain degree this is hypothetical since the Grande is not for sale; its successor-the AVS-will be offered instead. If you've got a ggts with an AM you're satisfied with, probably not. The Grande is just an evolution of the basic design of the AM with new features and improvements: bigger juice tank design, easier assembly, more effective control ring and no gap when used with the GGTS. Again, if you've got a ggts/am combo and you're short on cash, you won't be missing out on too much. But if you want a spare, switch juices all the time or want to stick the AM on another mod, you won't be disappointed.

Like the rest of the world, I'll be waiting to see how the AVS compares to the AM and Grande once it is officially released, hopefully in a week or so. Imeo will be selling the new version of the GGTS and the AVS together for roughly $220, roughly a $75-100 discount. I want there to be a feature that will blow me away and give the wife a reason to not outright kill me for pulling out the debit card.

But I'm afraid this will not happen. The biggest reason is essentially the stride gum effect: GG products work so well, and are so well made that there's not really a compelling reason to 'need' another one. My first ggts is bulletproof to the point where the second one is superfluous. It may be time for me to sit out a round of product releases and let some GG deprived folks have a shot at vaping happiness.

But these are just semi-idle early morning out loud musings. I'm not making any promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread